Sync process is ridiculous

Options
cyf
cyf
Community Member
edited November 2015 in Mac

Just bought my License on AgileBits, to discover that the synching process is a plain mess. Simply put, I have an iMac, a MacBook Air and an Android Phone, and there is no way I can sync my passwords without using Dropbox (which I will never do, as Dropbox is an insecure and bad solution).

. The Sync via iCloud is not allowed on AgileBits version. Seriously, 2 versions of the same software, with different functionalities depending on where you buy it? Are you ******* kidding me? This is a joke, and in all cases, you should CLEARLY inform your customers directly from your store about this issue (like: "Do not buy our software from our website or you will be screwed").

. The Android Sync is not working at all. In fact, after trying to find the Wi-Fi server, the app totally crash/reboot my phone. Plain insane.

. Wi-Fi Sync only possible between Mac Os and Android. So, no Wi-fi Sync between 2 macs connected on the same Wi-Fi network. Somebody has to explain to me why this option is not available. It must be a joke or something.

This is really a shame. The software in itself is not bad, but the sync problem, which is the key to a decent passwords manager, is killing it. I hope you guys are working on a serious update. Right now, I feel like I've just lost 50$.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

The security of Dropbox is irrelevant. The protection is in the encryption, not the sync service. You do realise that wi-fi networks aren't horribly difficult to break into? They're certainly weaker than the vault encryption.

The iCloud thing is Apple's choice to not allow access their CloudKit api from non-Apple platforms. And there is a notice on the app store about the problem. I assume you didn't bother reading the information there.

The inability to wi-fi sync is certainly a design limitation. It's been discussed here before and it is on Agilebis' radar.

Just to clarify, I'm a user like you, not an Agilebits staffer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi @cyf,

I'm sorry for the difficulty! Let's see what we can do to address some of that.

One of the chief ways we try to do that in general is by offering an unrestricted, 30-day trial version of 1Password from our website, so people can kick the tires, check things out for themselves, ask us questions over social media or here at our forums, and see whether 1Password will be a good solution for their needs before having to plunk down any hard-earned money. Were you not able to discover these issues within that 30-day window? I'm happy to extend your money-back guarantee to 60 days, so you have plenty of time to get things working the way you want them to.

Regarding Dropbox sync, I'd recommend you have a look at our support article on the safety of your 1Password data syncing via Dropbox. I don't want to seem as if I'm fobbing you off on a manual page, however, so the short summary is that although we at AgileBits have confidence in Dropbox, you don't need to. The reason for this is that the 1Password data you store on Dropbox's servers is encrypted at all times; only the local copy of your data ever is unlocked. If someone were to hack Dropbox, or gain access to your account there, or some other nefarious or simply sloppy data exposure were to happen, all the thieves would get in terms of your 1Password data would be the encrypted keychain. That's no different (functionally) than what they'd get if they stole your laptop or mobile device, and it's one of the things 1Password is written to protect against, first by urging you to choose a long, strong Master Password and then by various cryptography-based methods which you can read about at that link.

The difference between the version of 1Password from us and the one from the Mac App Store in terms of ability to sync via iCloud was born as a result of the re-write of iCloud that Apple did around the time of iOS 8 and Yosemite. When they switched from the Documents and Data format to the newer iCloud Drive, Apple also put in place a restriction limiting the use of the CloudKit sync technology that underpins 1Password's iCloud sync, to copies of apps that were purchased directly through the Mac App Store. We continue to sell our own version of 1Password because not everyone wants Mac App Store applications, and because it allows us to offer the 30-day trial as well as flexibility in pricing and licensing, among other reasons. We do try to make the differences (both pro and con) between the versions public knowledge in several locations, including our support pages, at the AgileBits store purchasing page, and in various other spots.

Wi-fi syncing works on a server-client model, meaning one desktop can sync with (theoretically) any number of mobile devices (iOS or Android). If none of what we've said regarding the security of your 1Password data in cloud services has convinced you, and you're still looking for a completely private sync solution that works only over networks you own and control, combining folder sync with wi-fi works well for many of our customers; you can read more about that here.

Finally, we want happy and secure users, not people who feel like they're stuck with having purchased something that doesn't work the way they'd hoped. If you decide 1Password just isn't for you, we'd be happy to refund your purchase, provided it's within a reasonable period of time.

Let us know if you have any question about the information I've given or linked to here; myself of one of my co-workers will be happy to assist however we can.

• cyf
    cyf
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate.
    I managed to find a solution with folders Wi-Fi synching via another 3rd party option. It works well, at least the two macs are sync'ed. Still no option for Android but I guess I will give up on that. Again, the app in itself is really good and i'm fully satisfied with it, for managing passwords and forms filling.

@RichardPayne: not that I want to start a debate on this, but DropBox has been heavily reviewed in the past by many experts, with poor results. It has been breached (http://www.businessinsider.com/dropbox-hacked-2014-10) and is usually considered unsafe in a professional environment (http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/articles/2013-06-12/banned-at-work-employers-blacklist-apps-from-facebook-google). Anyone can trust whoever he/she wants, but I, for one, will never open a potential permanent backdoor on my computers... This as nothing to do with 1Password of course, I understand that only encrypted files are stored there.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

@cyf Any online service could be breached. The question is whether or not such breaches put you at risk. In Dropbox's case, if all you are storing is encrypted data then there is little additional risk.

If you don't want to open a potential permanent backdoor on your computers then, can I assume, that you don't install any closed source internet connected software?

The corporate aspect is nothing to do with the safety of the software or services themselves. It is to do with productivity distractions and the risk of data ex-filtration. That article did make me laugh though. In what world do CIOs think that they can run BYOD programmes and expect to restrict the apps users have installed? My device, my rules.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cyf,

Thanks for your reply. Our Android client is the one out of all of our native apps which is the newest, so all the other platforms have a significant head-start on Android in terms of developmental maturity. I think the Android team have made some remarkable progress in the last year or so, and you'll have to trust me when I tell you they've got plenty in the pipeline for the not-too-distant future. I guess, to sum up, I'd ask for your patience with the Android platform. It's already completely usable, it just may lack some of the features of certain other platforms.

This discussion has been closed.