password does not work with HSBC business login on Mac

hello, one of the main reasons I purchased 1password was to improve my online banking security. however I have fallen at the first hurdle, my HSBC business online banking - I simply cannot get it to work. Neither does the synapse reporting tool. I am also somewhat disappointed that 1password appears to not work with any of the apps on my phone. I am now left wondering if I have made a wasted purchase.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:password does not work with HSBC business login on Mac

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@paulafletcher it would be helpful if you'd tell us some basic information, which will make it easier for us to help you. Please tell us:

On the assumption you're using 1P4 or 1P5 for Mac have you tried re-creating and saving the login manually?

Stephen

• paulafletcher
    paulafletcher
    Community Member

Hello Stephen,

I have now manually created the password and worked out how to stop 1P5 trying to automatically fill the security fob generated code. Not worked out how to get 1P5 to remember the username (which appears on a a separate page prior to password and fob code). But it is now functional. I am yet to venture int the gnarly world of using 1P5 on my iOS device for the HSBC business app.

For future reference using 1P5 on Mac OSX 10.11.1 with Safari 9.0.1 with extension 4.4.4, I can give you the URL for entering the username, but to get to the next I would need to give you my username. https://www.business.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDgzAfSycDUy8LAzNDbz8vbzMDKADKR2LKuyHkgbotDB1dDZyDDTwMzM0sDTy93B1dnXz8DN0tTCC6nd0dPUzMfYCqwzxdDTxNnEwMTH3dDA08jQnoLsgNDQUAO-nOhw!!/?IDV_URL=B2G_CAM40_PERSONAL_PAGE&CANCEL_CUN=hsbc.business.home_home_noMenu

thanks for prompt response

Paul

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @paulafletcher,

So it's hard for us to test because as you say, we'd have to be HSBC Business customers ourselves and we're definitely not going to ask you for your username (to which your very reasonable response would be "over my dead body").

On this second page, when you type values into both the password and fob code fields do they both display ••• for each character entered? If they do then it would suggest the second page holds two password fields. The reason this is important is it means we really do need the manually saved Login item so that it correctly identifies which is the password field and which is the fob code. If this is the case then the only way I can see to have 1Password fill in the username on the first page as well would be to have two Login items, one per page. You could title them HSBC Business (username) and HSBC Business (password) or page 1 and page 2, whatever you prefer. If the fob code had been on a separate page I believe we could have made a working Login item that filled both the username and password page but the two password fields on the second page complicates matters.

Regarding iOS. It's more complicated there when it comes to iOS apps. Each iOS app is sandboxed and one app cannot interact with another. Now that's not quite as true as it once was with the advent of Extensions in iOS 8 but extensions don't just work in any app. Instead we created a 1Password for iOS extension and apps that support our extension allow you to fill from your vault directly into their app. It does require the creators of an app to explicitly support each extension though. We've got a number of apps on board, the list can be view at Apps ❤ 1Password but HSBC isn't on that list. This does mean you would be limited to copying and pasting I'm afraid. Not great. I don't know what HSBC's mobile version of their site is like but that might work better, at least in terms of 1Password as we do have a 1Password for iOS Safari Extension and that link will allow you to read a bit more about it.

I hope some of that proves useful but if you have any further questions please do ask.

This discussion has been closed.