Is it possible to hide my passwords even in edit mode?

Options
Panade
Panade
Community Member
edited November 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I like to tool so far, however I miss the simple feature to hide a Password even in the Edit window.
I dont like to show any of my passwords at any time on my screen without an explicit action.

The Mac Version seems to have this feaure as well as every other Password Manager.
I would like to see this implemented soon, because I always feel insecure editing any Logins.
Just use the same mechanic as in the overview preview where you have to take an action to show the actual password.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Panade: It's certainly something we can consider doing in a future version, but of course the purpose of Edit mode is to be able to change the information there...and it can be difficult to do so without being able to see it! Of course, the best thing to do is not expose your data if and when you're concerned about someone seeing it. Simply viewing the item details will not expose your password. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• Panade
    Panade
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty The concern is the danger of showing it when editing the element. This behaviour is different than with all other Password Managers and even as the Mac Version. So implementing it should even increase the usability, since users are used to that. As with the main List view, you can simply add an option to show the password on Click.

Also you can implement this as optional configuration in the 1Password Configuration. This way you will give concerned Users like me the option to enable/disable that.

The only workaround for me right now to prevent this, is to disable the double click edit mode (which is per default enabled) and to enable the "open website" mode. This way I prevent at least displaying my password on accidential double clicks. But this is far from what I would expect in a Password Manager I pay for. :\

As I said, its the only major concern I have with the tool. Other than that its great. (edge browser support would be nice tho ;))
    Well anyway, thanks for the response and listening.

• mblaschke
    mblaschke
    Community Member
    Options

:+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015
    Options

Also you can implement this as optional configuration in the 1Password Configuration. This way you will give concerned Users like me the option to enable/disable that.

@Panade: Understood. And improving usability and consistency across platforms is something we continue to work on, so this may be something we can do in a future version. I'm glad the double-click workaround at least helps for the time being, but I agree that there may be more we can do here.

As I said, its the only major concern I have with the tool. Other than that its great. (edge browser support would be nice tho ;))
    Well anyway, thanks for the response and listening.

Thanks! We're really anxious for Microsoft to release an extension framework too. Hopefully we'll get some news on this early next year. I really appreciate you taking the time reach out about all of this. I'm sorry that I can't promise anything right now, but we're absolutely listening! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.