Understanding 1Password for newbie

zhl203
zhl203
Community Member

Hello,
I have just started using 1Password and as a newbie, I'm encountering many issues trying to set it up on my computer.
I have been searching through the forum but to no avail, so I decided to register this forum and post my questions here (this is my first ever post!).

I purchased the 1Password iOS app for the iPhone and I am currently using it on my iPhone.
Yesterday I added the 1Password chrome extension but kept getting the "helper" not working message. So I searched the forum and it seems that I have to install the 1Password PC app and need to change some kind of setting. So that led me to install the PC app.

When I open the 1Password PC app, it gave me 3 options: 1) I am new, 2) I have used before and 3) Restore from backup.

Since I have used 1Password on my iPhone, which option should I use? I tried clicking option #2 and #3 but it asked me to browse to the backup file. That leads to me the question, where can I find my backup file on my iPhone.

So I went to the iOS app and changed the Sync Service to Dropbox and then go to Advanced and hit "Create Backup," thinking that it will create the Backup File in my Dropbox folder, but I couldn't find it.

That's exactly the point I decided that I have to sign up this forum and ask these questions. Now when I signed up this forum, strange thing happened. So I decided to sign up using my Google account. At the Google sign-in page, all of a sudden, the 1Password extension popped up and asked in to type in my master password. So I entered my master password and now the Chrome extension is working! What is going on?

And I'm not sure what I clicked, then the PC app also popped up a notification asking me to enter my master password, so I did. Now all the passwords are listed there! Can somebody tell me what is going on? I have a simple question: How do I find out my username to log into 1Password? It seems like every time I only enter the master password.

My PC app on the top, it says "1Password Trial." That leads me to the question: when I purchased the 1Password iOS app, did I also purchase the license key? Am I using the trial version as well on my iPhone then? But when if I'm using the trial version, why did I have to pay for the app?

I would assume purchasing the iOS app also means purchasing the license key. That leads me to the question: how do I find out my license key? I went to Support/Help webpage and at the bottom, there's help on retrieving license key but it leads to more questions: 1) What email address do I have to use to retrieve the license key, I've tried my Apple email (since I purchased it through the Apple App Store), but no email came. I've tried using the email address I used to sign up this forum (which is Google account), but no email came.

the Support/Help webpage says "If you purchased from the App Store or Google Play, please download it there from your previous purchases." How can I download from the App Store from my computer?!?

Also, why is there no live support?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zhl203,

First of all, thanks so much for choosing 1Password to keep your digital data secure and organized - and welcome to our forums! Our forums are our first line of support, and our team is here 7 days a week making sure your questions are answered as quickly as possible.

So, let's get to yours! :)

Since I have used 1Password on my iPhone, which option should I use? I tried clicking option #2 and #3 but it asked me to browse to the backup file. That leads to me the question, where can I find my backup file on my iPhone.

One of the features of 1Password is that it allows you complete control over your data. This means that your data stays on your device until you decide to sync it. On iOS, you'll go to the 'Settings' screen and select 'Sync' to view your options for syncing. If you're syncing to a PC, then Dropbox is your best bet. It looks like you've already sorted it out, but our instructions for setting sync up are available in the iOS user guide, which you can find at support.1password.com. Once your data is stored in Dropbox, 1Password for Windows can detect it and will prompt you for your Master Password.

My PC app on the top, it says "1Password Trial." That leads me to the question: when I purchased the 1Password iOS app, did I also purchase the license key? Am I using the trial version as well on my iPhone then? But when if I'm using the trial version, why did I have to pay for the app?

1Password is sold on a per-user/per-platform basis. This means that purchasing the Pro Features for the iOS app will allow you to access those Pro Features on as many iOS devices as you use, but the desktop versions will require a separate purchase. You can get a license for 1Password for Windows in the AgileBits Store.

I really appreciate you providing such a clear outline of your new-user experience. I hope that my answers have got you all sorted, but if there's anything else that you'd like to know, we're here to help!

• zhl203
    zhl203
    Community Member

Hi @ Megan
    Thanks for your response. I guess I'm little surprised by your response re license. I am also a passwordbox user. For passwordbox, once you sign up for the subscription, you can log-in using your credential on any device (including iOS, android, Windows) and sync all the data. There's no need to purchase separate license for each platform because it is sold on per account basis.

• zhl203
    zhl203
    Community Member

Hi @ Megan
    Also is it a requirement to install 1Password for Windows in order for the chrome extension to work? I'm asking this because I don't have admin previlege to install any software on my work PC. In that case, does that mean I won't be able to use 1Password on my work PC? Again, with Paawordbox, all I have to do is to add the chrome extension and log-in, that's all.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There's no need to purchase separate license for each platform because it is sold on per account basis.

@zhl203: With 1Password, you don't have an account at all. Your data is only stored on your device unless you choose to copy it elsewhere, so it isn't something you 'login' to. 1Password is sold on a per-platform basis (https://support.1password.com/license-requirements/), so 1Password for Windows is a separate purchase from the other versions. Also, this allows people to purchase only the versions they'll actually use (for instance, if you don't have a Mac you'll have no use for that version). It also isn't a subscription.

And even if it were possible to 'license' a Windows app using an App Store purchase (it isn't, of course), the price of the Pro upgrade in 1Password for iOS absolutely wouldn't be enough to sustain development and support across multiple platforms. We've been around for 10 years, and it's only because we charge sustainable prices for our products that we can continue improving them and supporting our awesome customers — and make a living doing it. We plan on being around for a long time! ;)

Also is it a requirement to install 1Password for Windows in order for the chrome extension to work?

Yes. The browser extensions depend on the main app to function. That's where your vault is, after all. If we didn't do it this way, we'd have to store your sensitive data in the browser. So we don't.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• zhl203
    zhl203
    Community Member

That's where your vault is, after all. If we didn't do it this way, we'd have to store your sensitive data in the browser.

When we backup the data to Dropbox, isn't that being stored on the cloud? And how can you be sure of the security of Dropbox? To me, this introduces more risk because now you not only have to worry about your own product but also third party product like Dropbox. When data gets breached, it is not clear who's fault it is (Is it Dropbox security issue or 1Password)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zhl203 ,

These are some great questions, and I'll do what I can to help clear things up.

When we backup the data to Dropbox, isn't that being stored on the cloud?

When you sync to Dropbox, a copy of your data is stored in the cloud, yes. But the browser extension is just that, an extension of the main app in the browser. It is a simple tool that handles the actual filling of your data in the web browser. All other processing and decryption are handled by the main app.

We have heard suggestions from users who would like to have a browser extension that can do all of the things, and with our new 1Password for Teams service, we might be able to consider it.

For the foreseeable future though, you do need the 1Password app to use the browser extension.

And how can you be sure of the security of Dropbox? To me, this introduces more risk because now you not only have to worry about your own product but also third party product like Dropbox.

It's great to hear that you are thinking about the security of your data. I want to assure you that the security of your 1Password data never depends on the security of the sync solution that you choose to use.

Your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through our Knowledgebase article on Cloud Security.

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions or concerns!

• zhl203
    zhl203
    Community Member

Great. Thanks for your response. For now, I think Passwordbox is my only solution because I can use it on my work PC. I do not have adm right to install 1Paaword to my work PC.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zhl203,

I'm very sorry to hear that 1Password isn't quite what you're looking for right now. If you have any further questions, you know where to find us!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Seems Passwordbox is migrating to True Key... there are some differences that might be worth checking out before committing.

https://blog.passwordbox.com/?p=821

and

https://feedback.truekey.com/truekey/topics/will-passwordboxs-premium-lifetime-subscription-be-gone-after-true-key-exists-the-invite-phase?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=widget_truekey

Like some of the folk at the true key blog (per link above) reckon that trust is a consideration too.

As an aside I would not use any personal password management system on a "work computer"... what I used to do was use 1Password on my own personal iPhone..... that gave me access to any services that I needed while I was at work. I never keyed my personal login details into "work computer systems" ... I cannot trust computer systems over which I have absolutely no control (who's monitoring the system, key loggers etc etc)..... but I do appreciate this approach/attitude is not for everyone.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @toasted,

I've removed those duplicate posts, just to keep things tidy - I hope you don't mind!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here, I think you've made some great points. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Thanks. That's great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@toasted: Sorry you've run into some forum issues, but I'm glad Megan was able to help! :) :+1:

Also, I couldn't agree with you more:

I cannot trust computer systems over which I have absolutely no control (who's monitoring the system, key loggers etc etc)..... but I do appreciate this approach/attitude is not for everyone.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and an awesome (hopefully long and leisurely) weekend! :chuffed:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Very nice of you to say so.
    I am way down south in Australia and we don't have Thanks giving here .... but I certainly wish you the very best for a Happy Thanks giving.
    Thanks to for your help and guidance from time to time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Aww, thank you! It's always a pleasure. And I hope you'll at least be able to find some excuse to relax this weekend, holiday or not! ;)

This discussion has been closed.