Running 1Password on MacBook with Windows 10 on Parallels 11 Virtual Machine?

MikeBr100
MikeBr100
Community Member

Hi,

I've just purchased 1Password in the Apple App Store for my MacBook Pro (Late 2011).

I run Windows 10 in a Parallels 11 virtual machine and wondered whether 1Password also works when I'm using Windows 10 because when I open Chrome it says it can't find 1Password helper??

I use Mac OS and Windows 10 approx 50/50 and really wanted to be able to use 1Password in either platform......is that possible without having to buy an additional license??

Kind regards :)

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member

Hi,

I've just purchased 1Password in the Apple App Store for my MacBook Pro (Late 2011).

I run Windows 10 in a Parallels 11 virtual machine and wondered whether 1Password also works when I'm using Windows 10 because when I open Chrome it says it can't find 1Password helper??

I use Mac OS and Windows 10 approx 50/50 and really wanted to be able to use 1Password in either platform......is that possible without having to buy an additional license??

Kind regards :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MikeBr100,

The 1Password Browser extension is using a localhost WebSocket to try and communicate with 1Password. That's why it can't see your copy of 1Password for Mac - it's only looking for a response from inside your VM copy of Windows. Now our licences are per platform I'm afraid so it would mean a 1Password for Windows licence given the description of your setup. I wish I could have brought you better news - sorry about that.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MikeBr100,

I've merged your two posts after responding to one and then discovering the other. We'll keep the conversation going here :smile:

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member

Thanks for the prompt response and sorry about the double post (newbie mistake).

Must say I'm disappointed in that I'm using the app on only one machine and wouldn't have expected to have to pay for an additional license being that 1Password is already one of the most expensive password manager options out there :'(

Guess I should have done more research before buying the app!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @MikeBr100,

I can understand your disappointment but I would say it's not a unique scenario. Some companies may charge a fee that covers development over all platforms, some may charge per machine let alone per platform. Our licence allows you and up to five family members in the same household to run 1Password for Mac on as many Macs as you have between you (in the Mac App Store this is done with Apple's Family Sharing). In that scenario the licence would seem like good value. Sadly your situation is essentially the polar opposite of that. Can I ask, do you view the bundle cost as can be seen on our AgileBits Store page prohibitive or is it the prospect of a completely new purchase at full price that is off-putting? If you find the bundle price expensive then detailing how we can match that overall cost even if you purchased in the Mac App Store won't do much good while if it's the prospect of another full price purchase then it would seem there would be a way in which I can make the situation a bit more palatable.

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member

Hi there @littlebobbytables,

Took a look at your link to the bundles and may have been interested in the MAC + Windows bundle as an upgrade.....but don't know the price??

I purchased my 1Password via the Apple App Store (£39.99) and have tried all of the numbers supplied with the order confirmation e-mail (non of which say License No.) and have been unable to get a price??

I would have thought I'd be able to find the product Licence No. within the app???

I filled in the "Find It" box with my e-mail address and then "Submit" but have not received anything from AgileBits??

I'm certainly not willing to pay another £39.99 for a second Windows license to run on the same machine.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @MikeBr100,

You're UK based I see :smile: The reason you weren't able to see any upgrade prices is because you're not a customer of us directly. Apple disclose no information on you or any of our users who purchased 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store so we have no record like we do if you purchase 1Password from our own store. The upgrade selection only works for AgileBits Store licences as we generated them and maintain a record. That's why the automated approach isn't available.

There is the manual approach though. At this moment 1Password for Mac or Windows is $49.99 but we do have the bundle that equates to a 30% discount over purchasing the two separately. If that original price for the two would have been acceptable what we can do is once we've confirmed the Mac App Store purchase with you we generate a discount for you so that the overall price you pay, even though you purchased 1Password for Mac at full price from the Mac App Store comes out the same, or at least almost the same given currency exchanges etc. Basically you would pay the difference to purchase the rest of the bundle directly from us. So if the bundle price for both seems acceptable you would want to email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com from the email address you use with Apple and a copy of your 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) receipt and we would sort out the calculations. You could then apply the discount to the individual purchase of 1Password for Windows from our store.

Hopefully that clarifies what I was leading towards.

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi again @littlebobbytables,

Yeah UK based which for me unfortunately means that I already paid approx $60.00 for my copy of 1Password for MAC at the current exchange rate!!!

I've attached a screen shot of the Apple App store receipt for you to calculate what the cost would be for the additional Windows license as a bundle.

Look forward to hearing from you.

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member

Looking at my reply there didn't appear to be any attachment.......I assume that only you can see it??

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Oops.....sorry I didn't notice the request to send it to your support e-mail address!

I've just sent the e-mail from my Apple registered e-mail address and attached the receipt for 1Password for MAC.

Cheers :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @MikeBr100,

It looks like one of the other team members got it and that you're all sorted out. Hopefully the additional cost isn't too bad and that after a while you find 1Password was worth it :smile: If you have any questions at all regarding either platform please don't hesitate to post a query.

ref: XIG-62276-628

• MikeBr100
    MikeBr100
    Community Member

Hi @littlebobbytables,

Thanks for the follow up.

All done. Bought the additional license at a reduced price and installed on my Windows 10 virtual machine :-)

Looking forward to getting to grips with the software now.

Thanks again :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.