No contextual sub-menu in FF4

Hi there, I used 1Password 2 for years and just upgraded to version 3 so I could keep using it now that Firefox 4 is out.

Unfortunately, the 1Password contextual sub-menu is empty (it doesn't appear at all when I mouse over the main menu item). I believe it's exactly what khad is talking about in this post. My contextual menu looks just like his does in that screenshot, and even though "1Password" is highlighted, the sub-menu doesn't open.

Here's my own screenshot of trying to log into Facebook:
Intel Mac optimized build of FF4, which has never given me any trouble with add-ons before. Maybe it's still worth mentioning. It stores its profiles in the filesystem identically to the official release, however the executable is called Minefield.app. I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.7).

The toolbar is present and looks right, but doesn't seem to work either. The "Use Wallet", "Use Identity", and "Fill" menus don't appear when clicked. The "Save..." and "Generate Password" buttons also don't respond to clicks. The "1Password" menu opens but only the "Purchase" item does anything; the other items are all unresponsive. I'm not even sure if "Purchase..." is supposed to appear in the menu, since I've already bought a license. It looks like the interface is present but everything it controls is non-functional. Any help you can offer would be terrific.

Thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, insanityfarm!

I'm sorry that you are having this trouble. The first thing I would try is to get 1Password working in the current, stable Firefox 4 downloaded directly from Mozilla (rather than a community build) just to limit the number of points of failure.

Also, can you tell me exactly which build you are using? The context menu and its submenu are showing up for me in the latest Intel x86_64 build (4.0b6) which makes me think the problem is not the particular build, but I would strongly suggest using the main stable branch from Firefox for possible stability and security reasons. You will receive updates more quickly directly from Mozilla and there is no way to know what has been added to the code from a third-party source (without going through line by line yourself). I would be a bit nervous about that. Even if the code has not been modified in any malicious way, an error could be present. Then again, I am paid to be paranoid, so, by nature, I avoid any "special" builds of browsers. :-)

For the sake of troubleshooting, though, please use Firefox 4 from Mozilla.

It sounds like your 1Password installation may be damaged, which would be affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button under "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Drag the newly downloaded version of 1Password to the same location as any previous one -- replacing it
    4. Run 1Password at least once and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

Additionally, it sounds like Firefox is caching some data from a previous version. You can fix this by completely uninstalling the Firefox extension and reinstalling it:

1. Make sure Firefox is not running.
    2. Launch 1Password from your /Applications folder
    3. Click 1Password > Preferences > Browsers
    4. Uncheck the box next to all versions of Firefox
    5. Launch Firefox and click Tools > Add-ons > Extensions. Make sure that 1Password is *not* listed.
    6. Step #5 is the most important step so I'll repeat it again here :) Launch Firefox and make sure 1Password is not there.
    7. If 1Password is appearing in the Extensions window, click the Uninstall button on the 1Password extension and quit Firefox.
    8. Return to your 1Password window and check the box next to Firefox. There are two versions: 3 and 4. Pick the one that you have installed.
    9. Restart Firefox and click Tools > Add-ons > Extensions. Make sure that 1Password is listed.

After following these steps, the Firefox extension will have forgotten everything about previous versions and should work correctly.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • Hi khad,

Thanks for the welcome and thorough response.

As much as I've enjoyed the elitist smugness that comes with running a community build of Firefox (;)) I followed your advice and installed an official version. And... 1Password works now. That was an easy fix! Guess I'll stick with the genuine article, for now.

Thanks again and happy Easter,
    insanityfarm
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Awesome. Thanks for letting me know. I'm glad that everything is working well. :-D

Happy Easter!
This discussion has been closed.