did my information merge with someone else's?

KCR
KCR
Community Member

When I logged into 1 password, I had several entries for Wendy Appleseed. What is happening? Do I need to cancel my account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

There isn't a problem, though this can be frightening.

Wendy Appleseed is a fictitious name, used for the Demo Vault that enables you to show others how 1PW works without exposing your own passwords.

This has come up recently because of a new All Vaults view, which includes the demo vault.

I understand from other posts by AgileBits staff that they had assumed that the only people who had demo vaults would be those who had consciously decided to create one (it is a menu option) and so would know what was going on, but this has turned out not to be true.

For myself, my first reaction on seeing the name Wendy Appleseed was to wonder if she was related to Johnny Appleseed (which is why the name was chosen) and not to worry, but then storytelling is one of my main interests!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @KCR,

As danco has said, the release of a new feature called All Vaults view kicked this all off and we never anticipated that so many people had inadvertently created a demo vault on their device. It is indeed a demo vault full of fake data that has never left your device and no-one has gained unauthorised access.

The first thing to try and confirm is if we're dealing with a demo vault that hasn't been added to or modified since it was generated. If it's a stock demo vault then we can simply delete it but best to make sure nothing has been unknowingly stored in it that you wish to keep.

A demo vault on my Mac has 45 items, if your demo vault also has a total of 45 items it would seem likely that it hasn't been used since it was generated. Once we know we can show you how to remove it :smile:

• KCR
    KCR
    Community Member

Thank you for getting back to me. When I looked to see how many items were stored in the demo vault, I saw the option to delete it. Since there were only 45 items (thank you for letting me know that is the initial # of items), I deleted it. Thank you again for helping me.

• You're very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.