Most recent betas fail to start mini

Having an odd issue here wherein 1Password is giving a failure at startup:
1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini
Please restart 1Password. If this does not help, please contact AgileBits support.

The following is showing up in the Terminal when I start it via the shell:
https://gist.github.com/00e5ea78c1db7f3cf412

1Password Version: 5.4.BETA-42
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ylluminateylluminate Junior Member

So if I manually start /Applications/1Password\ 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.app and then attempt to start up 1Password again, I get the seeming same result, but with the following result in the shell:
    https://gist.github.com/34fe0ba8cfa215aae2b5

So I still cannot get it to open even with mini running in the menubar.

• I am also having this problem. I'm running 5.4 beta 42 on El Capitan 10.11.1. I have tried uninstalling the application and installing the Stable release and it does the same thing.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @ylluminate and @avalon48,

Are you both still stuck being unable to open 1Password? Just to confirm, this is the error you're eventually seeing when trying to open the main application?

Does the same thing happen after you Quit, wait for a minute or two, then try reopening 1Password? So far that's always worked for me after this type of connection failure between the app and mini.

When (re)opening 1Password, make sure that any web browsers with the 1Password extension installed aren't running and see if that makes any difference. Also, do you only have one copy of 1Password installed?

If 1Password refuses to open even after restarting your Mac, please use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a Diagnostics Report:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Then attach the report file with an email to: [email protected]

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, and do include a link to this discussion and your forum username in the email.

You'll receive an automated email reply with a support ticket ID. Please post that ticket ID here so we can track down your email and analyze the report more quickly.

@ylluminate,

So if I manually start /Applications/1Password\ 5.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper.app and then attempt to start up 1Password again, I get the seeming same result, …

1Password mini helper isn't meant to be started directly and doing that could have unwanted side effects.

This issue does seem more common on 10.11 (El Capitan) and we're still working on a solution. Sorry for the trouble it's causing you!

• I have opened the following ticket: [#YSW-18237-234]

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member
    edited September 2015

Got your email with the report, @avalon48. Thanks for sending that!

Please give this a shot:

• Open the Terminal app (found in your Mac’s Applications folder under Utilities, or with a Spotlight search).
    • Copy this single line command, then paste it into the Terminal window you just opened:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app'

• Tap the return key to run that command.

• Open 1Password 5 app.

Here's that command again in case the formatting above makes it tough to copy:

xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app'

Let me know if that does the trick. If not, someone will be following up with you through email with other suggestions. Fingers crossed that won't be necessary. :)

And feel free to give that a try as well, @ylluminate.

ref: YSW-18237-234

Unfortunately no joy on this side with that command. I'll have to dig into the diagnostics further when I have a chance.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Thanks for the follow-up, @ylluminate. It sure is stubbornly refusing to work but I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it. I generally brought up this issue with one of our developers earlier today and will get an assist with your specific case if necessary.

Thanks. Sadly the Diagnostic Report option doesn't generate emails correctly for me due to an unfortunate problem with Mail in 10.11.0 and 10.11.1 beta. It simply doesn't work for me at the moment and I cannot therefore use the method for generating reports provided by the "1Password Troubleshooting" app. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. I'm an old unix hat myself + a software dev so I can pull any kind of black magic you'd like out of the hat if you give me some direction as to what I should be looking for here. Thanks!

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

I haven't run Mail at all on 10.11 yet. Since switching from Mulberry way back when, Mail has always worked well enough for my purposes not to be tempted to seriously consider possible alternatives. MailMate would probably be at the top of the list if I was.

You can send us email using the same instructions as above, minus the Diagnostics Report, and we'll go from there. Thanks!

• kugelkindkugelkind
    edited September 2015

I have a pretty similar problem with 1P running on Mac OS X 10.10.5. I tried the mentioned solutions including reinstalling and the terminal part but I still get the message Can't connect zu mini. I opened a Support incident [#CLU-12862-794]. Thank you for your help.

• sjk. I confirm that the command above worked for me and solved the problem with 1P 5.4Beta42 and OSX 10.11.1 GM. Also useful to note that I upgraded directly from 1Pv3 to 1Pv5.3.2 (skipped 1Pv4), and then installed 1P5.4Beta42. I used App Cleaner to remove 1Pv3, and I carefully followed Agile instructions to remove 1Pv3 Safari Extension (a bit tricky!). Unbeknownst to me, 1Pv5.3.2 had already installed Safari Extension 4.4.0 so there was no need to follow instructions to download/install latest Safari extension again. Fortunately, my 1Pv3 passwords remained intact in Dropbox sync!

All of this was slightly more challenging then it should be; nevertheless, the problem was resolved.
    Many thanks for your efforts and the great support!

• I have two Macs running the latest Beta. Add to that I am running the El Capitan GM on them. Desktop = 2.26 Octocore with El Capitan GM running on Accelsior SSD, El Capitan Beta on 1 Drive, Yosemite latest on 2nd disk & Snow leopard on 4th Drive. Was also running 1 password beta on MacBookPro early 2012 retina with el capitan GM. Running 1 one password vault for all through Dropbox.Some how an update to -42 came through on both yesterday and while the copies on the Desktop have all updated and still worked I cannot install 1Password on the laptop at all without getting the fails to connect message. I have deselected 1 password from the Dropbox account after backing up the dropbox vault to each desktop drive and dissociated dropbox from the each drive. I cannot install dropbox on the Laptop at all with out the mini won't connect message any ideas? I have tried deleting everything dropbox related from the laptop. Nothing doing

1Password Version: Latest beta -42
    Extension Version: latest
    OS Version: El Capitan GM 10.11.1
    Sync Type: Dropbox
    Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:data-locations

• I still have an exported file & keychain too.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @kugelkind,

I've responded to your email with instructions for removing 1Password 3 leftovers that seem to be interfering with 1Password 5. Please reply in email if you need more help and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

ref: CLU-12862-794

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @krc,

Glad to hear you've got 1Password 5 working now after upgrading from version 3. Sorry the process was a bit bumpy and tricky.

This support article has recommended instructions for doing the upgrade:

How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

Of course you don't need that now, and it looks like you found steps for safely uninstalling the 1Password 3 browser extension.

Many thanks for your efforts and the great support!

You're most welcome. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @steven_jefferson,

I've moved your posts from the Mac category into this related Mac Beta discussion. Please see these two replies for some suggestions to resolve problem you're having: here, here.

If that doesn't help, please email us a Diagnostics Report as instructed in the first of those posts so we'll have more details about the current state of 1Password on your Mac and can better suggest what to try next. Thanks!

• Got there! I have an account on every Drive that I use solely for trouble shooting. Switched user and hey presto was able to install 1Password from there and back up from a Back up from another drive. Now enabling each drive. Logged back into main account and was able to get on so OK.

FYI @sjk Unibox is fantastic and I generally use that. I've not had to use Mail for some time now, but for some reason the 1PW diagnostic app wants to force use of Mail.app. My 2¢ there is that it should probably try to use the default mail app.

Also, when I use 1PW extension in Safari:Gear -> Open 1Password, I get the following crash:
    https://gist.github.com/c03f28b00f8b173d51be

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member
    edited September 2015

That's great, @steven_jefferson. Happy you found a solution to get 1Password back on track! Let us know if we can help if it misbehaves again. :)

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member
    edited September 2015

Thanks for that crash snippet, @ylluminate.

This is an unusual location for the 1Password application to be installed:

Path: /Users/USER/Library/1Password 5.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 5

Can you install a single copy of the app in the system /Applications folder and try opening it from there?

Have you submitted any crash logs through the Problem Report window that looks something like this?

Also, do you have Folder Sync configured and, if so, which location is it syncing with? Or is any other syncing configured?

And this offer is still open at any time:

You can send us email using the same instructions as above, minus the Diagnostics Report, and we'll go from there.

If you could temporarily upload a full report to a private downloadable location we can grab it and you can delete it after that. That would be helpful for our developers.

Thanks again!

@sjk whoa, that is really odd. I guess I didn't read it closely since I have ALWAYS kept 1PW in /Applications. I'm not sure how it could have somehow copied itself to ~/Library/. As a matter of fact, after I rm -fr'd it from there, 1PW is firing off correctly now. Apparently I just entirely overlooked that line as a peculiarity of the logging of 1PW vs actually giving credence to that existing there since I never have even attempted to open it from the Library location. HMMMMmmmm....

At any rate, it is indeed working correctly now and am certainly left with a new mystery as to how this happened in the first place.

• hazmathazmat Member

I was having the same issues with beta 42 on OS X 10.11.1 PB. That xattr command fixed it for me. I did precede the command with sudo, to make sure it worked as needed.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for letting me know what you've done to fix the connection problem with 1Password.

@ylluminate,
    1Password would never copy itself into ~/Library. My hunch is a copy got accidentally dropped in there instead of into /Applications without realizing it. Even though I'm careful and conscientious with my digital filing I'll occasionally spot something that's been misfiled.

@hazmat,
    The sudo isn't necessary if the xattr command has sufficient permission to the app bundle, but generally there's no harm including it. I don't suggest sudo usage by default because it can cause more widespread casualties if the rest of the command line is mis-entered.

@sjk I hear what you're saying, but that would be especially peculiar for me since most of my shuffling happens in the shell and I see nothing in my history to indicate that mv / cp. C'est la vie. At least it's sorted now and I just wanted to be sure that it wasn't some kind of other update mistake.

My main concern was that this only started after an automated update. Since I never manually touched the update "process" until after the failure noted above, I figured that something went severely awry. At any rate, if anyone else stumbles across this peculiarity you'll have a heads up! :)

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Thanks for that heads-up, @ylluminate.

As you might imagine we do see the 1Password app show up in a variety of interesting places, usually left to speculation for how it actually ended up there. :)

@sjk LOL, I hear you. I'm usually in your shoes so I can completely empathize! :chuffed:

• hazmathazmat Member

@sjk I understand what you mean about not suggesting commands run as root unless necessary. In this case, though, when dealing with something under /Applications, I thought it a good safeguard. Sometimes when I do stuff under /Applications, I get asked for my password.

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

@ylluminate,

Sometimes 1Password apps and Agile Keychains even end up inside Agile Keychains. :)

@hazmat,

I mostly tend to start with commands that might be underprivileged and possibly extend them later instead of having them be unnecessary overprivileged at first. :)

edited November 2015

FYI, I had an interesting situation again where the same error was popping up again with the most recent build on 10.11.2 Beta (15C47a). xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app' seemed to resolve the issue allow it to start okay this time, so that's good that it didn't copy itself to ~/Library again... :)

• sjksjk oversoul

Team Member

Hi @ylluminate,

Had 1Password and/or OS X been updated right before the 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini error popped up again when you opened 1Password? What we're looking for are specific conditions and actions immediately leading up to the error. Something like this:

• 1Password had been working normally
    • 1Password app was closed, but mini was still running in the background
    • Received 1Password Update available notification via Notification Center
    • Clicked Update… in notification window to open 1Password Updater
    • Clicked Install Update to download the update, then Update and Relaunch to install it
    • The 1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini error appeared when 1Password relaunched after being updated

And did you try reopening 1Password a second time after the error occurred, before running the xattr … command?

Any other details you can provide about your encounter with this error are appreciated. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.