I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, and an iPhone. Will 1Password sync among all three devices?

japrussin
japrussin
Community Member

Also, do I need to pay for one or three licenses to use the 1Password app on all three devices?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I have an iMac, a MacBook Pro, and an iPhone. Will 1Password sync among all three devices?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

One paid licence covers your iMac and MacBook Pro (and any future Macs you have).

One licence is need for iOS. This is free in its basic form, but an in-app purchase adds further functions. Strictly speaking, since it is an iOS device and apps can only be bought in the iOS App Store, the purchase is tied to your Apple ID and there is no actual licence.

The Mac version can be bought either direct from AgileBits, in which case there is a licence, or from the Mac App Store, where the purchase is again tied to your Apple ID. The difference between the two versions is that if you insist on iCloud sync then due to restriction by Apple you must buy from the App Store. Many people, including most AgileBits staff, use Dropbox sync, which is available on all versions and platforms, and so buy direct which has some advantages.

Should you want to add family members to your purchase, this can be done at no extra cost, but is slightly easier with purchase direct from AgileBits. More details about this if you need them.

• Hey @japrussin! As danco mentioned, 1Password is licensed on a per platform basis so each operating system has a different copy. Your Macs can use the same license (you can use as many computers as you have with one license and also with up to six members of your household). On iOS, the app is freemium, so you can use the basic features for free and purchase the Pro ones if you decide you need some more advanced bits. :) If you're curious about the Pro features, this knowledge base article should help out:

Pro Features FAQ (iOS)

As for syncing, that's one thing a bit more particular to your situation. Since you have all Apple devices, and you identified your sync type in your original post as iCloud, it sounds like you might be set on that method. 1Password supports several different services for syncing across platforms and devices, and I would highly recommend giving this knowledge base article a read for the pros and cons of each:

Sync options compared: Dropbox vs. iCloud vs. Wi-Fi

Sync will be the deciding factor on where to purchase 1Password for Mac. Once you get that sorted out, it's all a matter of just setting things up. We have some wonderful user guides for getting started with the apps, from setting up sync to configuring the preferences the way you like them and filling in the browser. Let us know if you have any questions about this stuff. We're happy to help out. :glasses:

This discussion has been closed.