Error restoring from iPhone to iPad

Tezcatlipoca
Tezcatlipoca
Community Member
edited April 2011 in iOS
Cannot restore data from iPhone 1password to iPad
Hi there,

I have 1password Pro (for iPhone & iPad).

I've been using it on my iPhone 4 (iOS4.3.1), & have several things stored in it.

I've now got an iPad 2 (iOS4.3.2), so decided to try & backup my iPhone's 1password data & restore it onto the iPad, to save entering everything again.

According to the FAQ, this should be possible, as it mentions backing up from one iOS device and then restoring to another.

I can't do it any other way, as I don't have the desktop version.

I successfully backed up my iPhone's 1password data, but when I tried to restore it to my iPad, I received the following error after "upgrading database":

"Failed to update the database

Error: Failed to insert or update the security level: 'SL3', disk I/O error"

A search found another thread where someone had the same problem back in December, when they had the same error as me after trying to restore an iPhone backup on to an iPad. As they ended up using Dropbox instead though the original problem wasn't solved.

http://forum.agile.ws/index.php?/topic/2880-dropbox-sync-must-be-set-up-on-mac-or-windows/

Any help? :)

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Welcome to the forums, Tezcatlipoca. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

The "SL3, disk I/O" error message seems to be popping up for folks who are restoring an iTunes backup (as opposed to a 1Password .1ptbackup file). Unfortunately, iTunes cannot be relied upon for app data transfer between devices. :S

You will need to either set up Dropbox syncing or manually backup and restore your 1Password data from one iOS device to another.

As I mentioned in the aforelinked thread, Dropbox syncing will obviate the need for a "direct" fix here, and I would strongly recommend using it keep your data synced between both your iOS devices. While it does require you to install both Dropbox and 1Password on your computer, you don't need a Mac or Windows license to set it up. You can download the free trial of 1Password and then uninstall it (and Dropbox) if you wish. Please take a look at our Dropbox syncing guide if you are interested.

That said, if you do not wish to keep your data automatically synced between your iOS devices, you can perform a manual backup and restore from within 1Password on a schedule that suits you — if you ever do it after the initial transfer.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Khad,
    I have had the exact same experience as Tezcatlipoca using 1Password Pro. This has nothing to do with iTunes.

I backed up my iPhone 4 database using the backup server in the app to a file on my PC. Using the same method (backup server within the app) I attempted to restore that file to my iPad 2 and it returned the exact same error "Error: Failed to insert or update the security level: 'SL3', disk I/O error"

Just to make sure this is absolutely clear, the file I created using my iPhone and attempted to restore using my iPad 2 was created within the 1Password app as a backup/restore file using the built in server to connect http://192.168.1.x:xxxx. The file name created was "1Password0100-20110419.1ptbackup"

I also tried using Dropbox but when I attempt to sync with Dropbox from my iPad it rejects the master password as not matching the synched file.
    Thanks,
    mo
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Hi khad, thanks for your reply.

My problem doesn't have anything to do with iTunes I'm afraid.

Like markoNW above, this problem is happening when using 1Password's own backup & restore feature, where I am exporting a .1ptbackup file from the iPhone 1Password & trying to import it into the iPad's 1Password.
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this problem and how to fix it?

As mentioned by myself and by markoNW, this is nothing to do with iTunes - this is when using 1password's own backup/restore feature.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Please try deleting 1Password from your device and reinstalling it from the App Store.

If you are still using the same iTunes account that you used to purchase the app originally, you will be able to re-download the current version for free. Unfortunately, it won't look like it's free until you choose to "buy" it and enter your password. You don't have to take our word for it though. Here is Apple's official support document:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Another thing you can do to make sure that you won't have to pay for the app again is to try adding it to your Wish List in iTunes. If you already own the app, iTunes will tell you, "You have already purchased this item" and that you cannot add it to your Wish List.

Please let me know if you are able to successfully restore after reinstalling 1Password on your iOS device.
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Hi khad, thanks for the suggestion :)

I have just tried what you said, & deleted 1password Pro from my iPad then re-installed it. I then tried again to restore the file exported from my iPhone's 1password Pro... unfortunately I still get the exact same error as before :(
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    I'm sorry you are still having this problem. Thanks for hanging in there.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, please ensure that you have deleted 1Password from your iPad in this manner:

Remove 1Password by pressing and holding on the 1Password icon on your home screen until all the icons start to jiggle. Then you can click the X in the top left corner to uninstall 1Password. Once 1Password disappears, you can press the home button to stop the icons from jiggling. Then download a fresh copy from the App Store. If that is what you have already tried, please let me know. I am conferring with the team here as this one is a bit of a head scratcher. :(

I also don't mean to keep harping on it, but I would love to help get your data onto your iPad. If you set up Dropbox syncing between your iPhone and a Mac or Windows computer, you can easily transfer the data to your iPad. The initial setup requires 1Password for Mac or Windows (along with the free Dropbox application) to be installed on your computer, but you can use the free trial of 1Password. Once Dropbox sync is set up on your Mac or Windows computer, you can enable it on your iPad and your data will constantly be in sync between your iPhone and iPad as well as available in Dropbox via the 1PasswordAnywhere feature even if you don't use 1Password for Mac or Windows beyond the trial period.
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    Hi khad, thanks again for your support :)

Yes, I deleted 1password from my iPad in the standard manner, then reinstalled from the App Store.

I may give the Dropbox method a try then if you don't know the cause of my current issue.

So, to clarify, although the Mac/Windows version of 1password is needed for the initial Dropbox sync to be set up, it isn't actually required after that?

I understand that the keychain is encrypted, so even if an attacker gained access to my Dropbox account, they would still need the master password for the 1password file?

Can you confirm that 1password uses HTTPS for *everything* when connecting to Dropbox? I have read of some people's concerns with Dropbox's own official iOS app (Metadata is not sent over a secure connection from what I have heard?), so would just like to check that 1password goes further than that & uses a secure connection for everything.

EDIT:

I've just read a few of the help pages, & feel quite assured now that Dropbox syncing is safe & secure :)

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/how_secure_is_syncing.html

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/iOS_security_details.html

http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It is my pleasure to assist you. I really am sorry that you are going through all this just to import your 1Password data. :S

I may give the Dropbox method a try then if you don't know the cause of my current issue.

The error is an SQLite disk I/O error which is essentially beyond the control of 1Password and most likely related to either a lack of free space — though 1Password's entire database is usually only a couple megabytes in size — or some kind of write permissions problem. We have seen this a very small number of times but do not have a quick and simple fix. The "resolution" in the cases I have seen has been to use Dropbox to transfer the data instead. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer (although I think Dropbox syncing is amazing enough that perhaps this is a blessing in disguise).

So, to clarify, although the Mac/Windows version of 1password is needed for the initial Dropbox sync to be set up, it isn't actually required after that?

That is completely correct. We think most folks will like it enough to buy a license, but there is no obligation. In fact, you can even remove your data file from Dropbox once you have the data on your other iOS device. Syncing will no longer function if you remove the data file from Dropbox, but the data already synced will remain in 1Password on both iOS devices.

It looks like you have done your homework on Dropbox syncing, but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns!

Also, please check your inbox. ;-)
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    Thanks again for all your help. khad :) I'll try the Dropbox method & report back.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Please do let me know how it turns out. :-)

Cheers,
  • Tezcatlipoca
    Tezcatlipoca
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Please do let me know how it turns out. :-)

Cheers,

Set up the Dropbox syncing, & it's working perfectly. Thanks again for the support :)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Huzzah!

Thanks for the update. :-D
This discussion has been closed.