Restoring Vault from iTunes Backup?

aliek
aliek
Community Member

Long story short - I had to restore my phone to factory settings. Before wiping it, I synced my phone data to iTunes; however, I didn't create a separate backup for my 1Password data, as I didn't realize it was a different process. I've also never synced to Dropbox or iCloud. After reading up a bit on this forum, it appears that I'm SOL, but is there any possible way to restore my vault from the iTunes backup that I do have? Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: N/A

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

@aliek - You might have an option. If you restore your entire phone from the iTunes backup you made, it should bring back the 1Password data, along with everything else that was on it before you wiped it. Some users have found that the 1Password data doesn't return on restoring the entire device like that, but often a second try will succeed. Once you have the data back, follow the directions to create a specific 1Password backup to iTunes on this page: Creating and restoring 1Password backups on iTunes.

Once you have created that backup, then restore your phone to factory settings again and reinstall the 1Password app. The directions for restoring from that iTunes backup are in the same document. If you don't plan to sync to a cloud source or otherwise share your data with another device, be sure to make specific 1Passwrod backups to iTunes in the future to prevent your getting into this situation again.

If repeated restoring of the entire phone from its backup is unsuccessful in restoring your data, then I am afraid you will need to recreate your database from scratch. For some reason, Apple's restore function is somewhat unreliable in bringing back data when a phone is restored from backup. It shouldn't be that way, but it apparently is.

• aliek
    aliek
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

@hawkmoth Thank you!! I already restored from my backup once, but I'll try your suggestion tonight and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@aliek - Do let us know how it goes. I'd give it another couple of chances at least, if I were you. It's annoying, but not nearly as annoying as having to recreate the data from scratch.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's exactly my thought as well. Ultimately if t's still not working you may get to the point where you feel like it's less annoying to start over instead of fighting with the iOS restore process over and over again, but that depends entirely on just how much data you'd stand to lose. I wish you luck. Please let us know how it turns out!

This discussion has been closed.