1Password won't open my apps folder in Dropbox

Options
itechuser
itechuser
Community Member

I just installed 1Password 5.4.1 on OS EI Captain. I have my vault in Drop box. I used 1Password in Windows and IOS. So I launched 1password MAC, then I selected I'ver used 1password before, select Dropbox, Then I select Apps folder and open. 1password does nothing and won't accept the selection. I can browse via finder and I can see 1password folders within the Apps folder.

If I selected from the finder sidebar and select my profile (name) -> dropbox, it won't even open the dropbox folder.

Any idea. Please help and Thank you

1Password Version: 541003
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox apps folder

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @itechuser,

Have you tried selecting the actual 1Password.agilekeychain instead of just pointing it to the enclosing folder?

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

hello, The 1Password.agilekeychain is located under Dropbox>Apps>1Passsword. But 1Password5 won't be browse through the folders. I can only either click on Apps folder or Dropbox folder then I can't proceed further.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @itechuser,

Okay, it sounds like the issue is with Dropbox then. I don't know how much data you typically store in Dropbox but is it possible it hasn't completed a full sync yet if you only recently installed Dropbox on the Mac? This Dropbox support page, How do I know when Dropbox is syncing? might help there. If Dropbox is still syncing it will probably be about giving it enough time.

If the issue is more severe it might be worth trying the following steps, How do I unlink or relink a computer, phone, or tablet from my account?. My understanding is this will basically reset Dropbox and cause it to download a new copy of everything. Hopefully that will then allow access.

Do please keep us updated.

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

I have unlink and relink my drop box account but it still didn't work. I really think it is 1Pasword and the app just won't be "browse" through any folder.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itechuser,

If I understand, this is happening when trying to use the Dropbox sync option when setting up 1Password for the first time on your Mac, right? If so, you can try setting up 1Password as a "new user" on your Mac instead of choosing the Dropbox option, making sure to choose the same master password you use for 1Password on Windows and iOS. Once you've created a new, empty vault, you should be able to sync it with your data in Dropbox by following these user guide steps.

When you try doing it that way, are you able to select the 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox > Apps > 1Passsword? It's just a normal file selection dialog in OS X, so you shouldn't run into any problems doing that. If you do, can you please describe exactly what you see when you go to Dropbox > Apps > 1Passsword in that window? If possible, it would be great to see a screenshot of that. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks!

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I have follow your instruction and successful setup the Sync using Dropbox. However it is failed to sync any item from the Dropbox. i.e. I have 51 items in the vaults but I have 0 item in MAC.

I noted my dropbox vault name is not call "1Password.agilekeychain". So I have created additional Vault with the same name, using the same master password but the result is the same.

please see attached screen shot as requested. I have also included my IOS screen shot as well

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itechuser,

Thank you for the screenshots! It looks like you were able to create two vaults in 1Password for Mac and set up Dropbox sync for each one, but none of your items are showing up in those vaults. I think the problem might be that you created new .agilekeychain files instead of selecting the existing one that your iPhone syncs with.

According to the screenshots of the Sync preferences on your Mac, the vaults you created on your Mac are syncing with .agilekeychain files in the following locations:

• Primary: ~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    • HCY: ~/Dropbox/1Password/HCY.agilekeychain

However, the screenshot of the files in the Dropbox folder on your Mac shows a .agilekeychain file in a slightly different location:

~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/HCY.agilekeychain

My guess is that the keychain file in /Apps/1Password/ is the one your iPhone (and Windows PC) syncs with. But you can double-check that by following these steps:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Sync Service
    • Check the file name and path for the sync file in Dropbox (underneath Current Sync Method / Dropbox)

If that shows /Apps/1Password/HCY.agilekeychain, you'll need to have 1Password for Mac sync with that same keychain file. You should be able to do that by following these steps:

• On your Mac, open 1Password and go to 1Password > Preferences in the menu bar.
    • Click the Sync tab, then choose your Primary vault on the left side of the Sync options.
    • Change the sync from Dropbox to None, then click Disable Sync.
    • Next, change the sync from None to Dropbox.
    • Click the Choose button and select the HCY.agilekeychain file located here: ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password/
    • Click Merge with Existing to start syncing.

Does that solve the problem, and do you see all your data in the Primary vault? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iyfsqrfpgaq710g/1password.mov?dl=0

Thanks for pointing out the file path oversight. The problem I have is I can't navigate beyond one folder. see the video attached.

Please delete the link from the post for privacy reason.

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

What I managed to do is to created a alias for the Dropbox>Apps>1password and pasted in under Dropbox (The same folder level as Apps) Now 1Password does recognise the file path correctly.

However it now created a new file calls 1Password.agilekeychain instead recognise my own HCY.agilekeychain within the folder. HCY is the one contains all my items.

What should I do next

• @itechuser Aha, I think I see what's going on here.

Thanks for pointing out the file path oversight. The problem I have is I can't navigate beyond one folder.

To navigate to a different folder, double-click that folder, don't click Open. ;) Clicking Open tells 1Password that's the folder you want, which it clearly isn't in this case. Try heading back to the file picker, selecting Dropbox from the sidebar, double-clicking Apps, double-clicking 1Password, and then clicking Open. You should then feel victorious. We unfortunately do not have a victory emoji just yet, so let's go with :eh:

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

as soon as I double click on the Apps folder, 1password take it as "open" and auto fill the file path as Dropbox/App/1password.agilekeychain

• itechuser
    itechuser
    Community Member
    Options

I have solved the problem myself. What I have to do is to create an alias from my working, master agilekeychain and paste the alias direct under the dropbox root directory. Then 1Password successfully translate and point to the right path and it is now working.

It has been nothing but frustrated experience. Clearly it is a bug with your current OS release and yet I have been given advise to make sure you are "double click".... As a customer just paid for a bundle license, I questioning myself for the experience I had in here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015
    Options

@itechuser: Sorry for the confusion! AgileBits does not make the OS; Apple does. But of course you're correct that it's the OS that handles file/folder selection dialogs. I'm glad to hear that you were able to select your vault! :)

This discussion has been closed.