Have 1Password on work computer and I also want it on my MacBook Pro. I CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT!

Options

Our law firm purchased 1Password for our Windows-based computers. Now, I bought a MacBook Pro and want the same passwords on it for when I work at home. I CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT! On the Windows computer I am using Version 4.6.0.592 and on my MacBook Pro, I am using 1Password 5. HELP!!!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Have 1Password on work computer and I also want it on my MacBook Pro. I CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUT!

Comments

• Hi @karenhand,

Don't worry, we'll help you figure this out.

1Password exists for many different platforms, among them OS X and Windows. Our user guide will give you all the information you need to download, install, and set up 1Password 5 for Mac.

Once you've installed 1Password for your Mac from either our website or the Mac App Store, you need to get your data from the work PC to the Mac. That is best done via Dropbox.

The first step is having 1Password 4 for Windows on your work PC place the data in Dropbox, the second step will then be syncing that data to 1Password on your Mac.

If you have more question, feel free to post them here, we're always happy to help.

Cheers,

Alex

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

I have Password4 on my Windows and Password5 on my Macbook. I've already "dropped" by vault into my Drop Box on my Windows, but when I go to my Macbook, I don't have the option to sync with my DropBox. Do I have to purchase another license for my Macbook?

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

My Macbook says that it is synced with my Windows, but nothing is showing up as far as logins. Any suggestions?

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

I went ahead and purchased a license for my Macbook. Now it's telling me that 1Password has launched an incorrect version of mini. I deleted all versions of 1Password and IT'S STILL NOT WORKING. Please let me know how I can get my work passwords to sync with my Macbook and now that I have my own version of 1Password, can I create a vault with just MY passwords. Any help would be appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karenhand: It sounds like you have the Dropbox app setup and syncing data, but you'll need to make sure your 1Password vault is in Dropbox and that it's the one you're suing in 1Password in the first place.

But first, while you don't want multiple copies of 1Password installed (that's where OS X will launch the wrong version of 1Password mini), you definitely need to have one copy of 1Password on your Mac. Please do a Spotlight search for 1Password, drag any copies of the app to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then install a single copy of the app from the AgileBits website. So far so good!

Next, make sure that you've got Dropbox installed and running on both computers, and that you're logged into the same Dropbox account. Then you can either open 1Password and choose your existing vault in Dropbox, or you can create a new vault (if you plan to use a primary vault for your own, non-work-related data). You can always add the work vault as a secondary if you need to access it on your Mac as well.

Let me know how it goes, and tell me exactly how you'd like things setup so we can get it all sorted out for you! :)

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

I have DropBox on both computers and they are running. I have 1Password on my Mac. I go to my DropBox and click on the "chain" so that it will open in 1Password. It does open, and none of my passwords appear. I only have one vault on my Windows computer, so when I moved it to my DropBox, that was my only choice. I even purchased another license last night but it's not working either. When I click on the "chain" to open it, it asks me for my master password. I type in the master password that I set up on my WIndows. Am I doing something wrong?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@karenhand: Thanks for the description! It does sound like you're trying to open your 1Password vault either from the Dropbox website, the Dropbox app, or the Dropbox folder on your Mac. I'm not quite sure what 'chain' you're referring to, but the only one I can think of is the 'share' option on the Dropbox website. Is that what you mean?

In order to access your 1Password vault on your Mac, you'll need to install the 1Password for Mac app there. The Dropbox app needs to be installed only so that your data syncs. Please follow these steps:

1. If you haven't already done so, download 1Password for Mac and put the app in your Application folder.
    2. Open 1Password for Mac and choose "I've used 1Password before".
    3. Choose the Dropbox option and open the vault you sync'd from your PC.
    4. If you run into any trouble, follow the steps in this guide to verify your Dropbox setup.
    5. And if you're still not able to open your vault in 1Password, be sure to let me know exactly where you're running into trouble, along with the following:
    6. Generate a diagnostic report for each device:
      Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html
      Windows: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html
    7. Attach the entire file for each to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com
    8. Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.
    9. You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

The problem is with Step 2. I have downloaded 1Password from your website and when I go to open it, it doesn't give me the option of "Ive used 1Password before" or "I'm new to 1Password." It asks me for my master password. I type in my master password and nothing. Let me know if I still need to send you a diagnostic.

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

By "chain" I mean this: C:\Users\karen.AFD\Documents\1Password\1Password (AFD).agilekeychain. This is what is in my DropBox.

• karenhand
    karenhand
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Good news! I got it to work. I now have all of my passwords from my work computer on my Macbook. Yay! Thank you!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.