Is 1Password version 3.8.22 (build 38010) supported on Mac OSX 10.11 El Capitan?

I just updated my Mac to El Capitan and 1Password has begun crashing on a regular basis.
I don't use browser extensions.

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:diagnostics, kb:mac-app-store-vs-agilebits-store

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@tomproett as your post relates to 1P3 for Mac I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P3 legacy forum where you will get more help.

You'll find the answer to your question, expressly or impliedly, in the sticky at the top of the forum, I think.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomproett,

Please let me know if you have any questions after reading the post that Stephen linked to, it should provide the answer that you're looking for!

• tomproett
    tomproett
    Community Member

Thanks for your replies. Can you tell me how long it will be before the latest 1Password version will be unsupported?
    I guess I will have to pay for another license to get 1Password to work correctly again and I would like to know how
    long it might be before this happens again. Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomproett,

We don't know the answer I'm afraid. All I can remark on what licensing has been like the last few years to try and highlight what you might expect.

We released 1Password 4 in late 2013 and anybody that purchased 1Password 3 during any of 2013 received a free upgrade to 1Password 4. We then released 1Password 5 in late 2014 and all existing 1Password 4 customers received this update for free.

We do reserve the right to charge for a new major version though, the following is an extract from our AgileBits Software Licenses page that covers this.

Upgrade Policy

When you purchase AgileBits software your license will never expire and you can use it on the current version of the licensed application indefinitely. While the license itself will never expire, system updates from Apple could cause certain aspects of some software to stop working. For example, the Safari 5 upgrade stopped 1Password 2 from working correctly and required an updated version of 1Password.

Historically, AgileBits has been very generous with upgrades. Your purchase entitles you to free updates until the next major version upgrade. That means if you buy a license for version 2 of a product, you will get all 2.x releases for free, but upgrading to version 3 might require another purchase.

Now we will continue to answer questions on older versions, it's more that development on the existing version stops when we release a newer major version. Up until El Capitan we know we had a number of people still happily running 1Password 3 for Mac and we did our best to answer all questions but as you've discovered enough has changed in El Capitan that 1Password 3 for Mac is no longer viable (Mountain Lion was really the last version of OS X where 1Password 3 for Mac was under development). How long any single version will continue to remain compatible with newer versions of OS X is unpredictable, it all depends on what has changed and by how much.

I know, it undoubtedly doesn't feel like a satisfactory answer but I just don't have the details to give. AgileBits though does try to do well by our users as we want people to love 1Password and feel that it's worth every penny.

• tomproett
    tomproett
    Community Member

Many thanks for a very complete and enlightening answer. I will move forward with an upgrade.

• @tomproett On behalf of all the awesome folks in this thread, you're welcome. Let us know how it goes, and if you have any questions we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.