Unable to access 1Password on Apple Watch

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot view 1Password content on Apple Watch, even though I'm "Pro".

Comments

• AdamK
    AdamK
    Community Member

I am having a problem with the Apple Watch app. Every time I tap on it is asks me to open 1password on my Iphone. However it is open and I have opened it again and again and retried to open the watch app. I uninstalled the watch app and reinstalled it from the Iphone and the same issue occurred. It was working well up until this glitch. How do I resolve this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@AdamK: It's sounds like you may need to add some items to it:

Is that what you're seeing? Otherwise the Watch app has no data, and since this is handled by the OS, it has no way of knowing why it doesn't have data. If you're seeing something else though, could you provide a screenshot? It may be that simply disabling the feature in 1Password for iOS (Settings > Apple Watch) after removing the app will allow you reinstall it. Please let me know what you find! :)

• sdeetz
    sdeetz
    Community Member

Yes, this is the exact screen I'm getting everytime. It worked fine before the update. I have purchased Pro and had selected the items to access from the Watch. But after the update the Watch no longer recognizes that I have designated any items for the Watch. I added some new items for the Watch hoping it would trigger the sync, but nothing showed up on the Watch. I uninstalled the Watch app and rebooted, then re-installed. Still nothing shows up on my Watch app except the message telling to add items on my phone, which doesn't work. Completely stuck.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sdeetz: If you have already added some items to Apple Watch in 1Password for iOS (be sure to double-check that) and iOS isn't sending them over to watchOS, there are a few ways you can try to 'kickstart' it. Keep in mind that it can often take some time for things to transfer even when everything is actually working properly, and also if your Watch sleeps and it's set to return to the face when it wakes, 1Password will be gone again, so that can sometimes put a damper on things as well.

The first thing to try is simply uninstalling 1Password from your Watch, and then reinstalling it, but it sounds like you've already done that. In that case, we can take a more aggressive approach. This has worked for me every time to get any Watch app working, when all else failed:

1. Connect both the Apple Watch and iPhone to power
    2. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, scroll down to 1Password, and set Show on Apple Watch to the off position
    3. Open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Apple Watch and set Enable Apple Watch to the off position
    4. Wait for it to stop saying "Uninstalling..." (this may never happen, but give it 5 minutes and then move on)
    5. View the apps on your actual Watch and if it is gone (in some cases, even those that completed "Uninstalling..." still show up)
    6. If it's still shown there, hold your finger on it and then tap the (x) (this may not work either)
    7. Regardless, hold the pill-shaped Side Button on the Watch and Power Off
    8. Then hold the Lock Button on your iPhone and Slide to Power Off
    9. Power on both the Apple Watch and iPhone
    10. Verify that 1Password is not shown on the Apple Watch and that this is reflected in the Watch app on the iPhone as well (if not, go back to the beginning)
    11. In 1Password on the iPhone, set Enable Apple Watch to on
    12. In Watch on the iPhone, go to 1Password and set Show on Apple Watch to on
    13. Wait for the app to finish Installing...

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• sdeetz
    sdeetz
    Community Member

Thank you! That process worked. My items are now showing up on my Watch again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for the update. You're most welcome! I'm glad to hear that did the trick. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• Danka
    Danka
    Community Member

Thanks Brenty. Something to add. It's not possible to power off the watch while charging. So I disconnected the charger and powered off then proceeded. It worked.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. My primary concern is avoiding further headaches by draining the battery with repeated (un)installing, restarting, and data transfer. Thanks for the update! Glad to hear it's working for you now. :chuffed:

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in here with a similar issue. I had not used 1Password on my 6S or my watch since the latest app update. When I tried to launch it on my watch I kept getting the "you must unlock 1Password on your phone before you can continue" message. When I launched it on my phone I had to use the master password. Once unlocked I still got the same message on my watch. However the app on the phone would kick me out in about 10 seconds to the master password screen. This happened several times in succession.

Before coming here for help I force quit the app on the phone which did fix the crashing to the password screen and restored the ability to use Touch ID to log in. However the issue continued on the watch. I kept getting the must unlock the app on the phone first even though it was unlocked. I had to delete/uninstall the app from the watch. Then after re-installing it did operate properly.

So the issues were resolved but I expect iOS, watchOS as well as 1Password to work more reliably then this. The app did function properly on my other devices that have it installed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@pappjo: Sorry for the trouble! As you can imagine, I run into this issue a lot myself in testing. What you might not realize though is that it isn't 1Password. The 1Password app, like any WatchKit app, doesn't run on the Watch; rather, iOS runs it and transfers the data over bluetooth. I've noticed that this happens most frequently after updates, as iOS doesn't always update the Watch afterward. Very confusing — and frustrating.

I had to delete/uninstall the app from the watch. Then after re-installing it did operate properly.

The reason this works is that removing the app from the Watch completely forces iOS to install the current version there to match what you've got installed on your iPhone. watchOS 2 brought a lot of great things with it, but there's still room for improvement. Fortunately, even when the Watch isn't getting updated data from iOS you can force it to (although hopefully one day this won't be necessary anymore):

Apple Watch troubleshooting

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Those are essentially the steps I took except shutting down the devices and rebooting. That wasn't necessary. But the added problem of 1Password kicking me out and back to the master password screen in 10 seconds was frustrating until I force quit the app. Fortunately that was the only thing required to correct that issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed. Mercifully, not all of the steps are necessary in every case, but I wanted to be thorough so it will help in even the most extreme cases.

I'm sorry for the frustration. I'm glad to hear it's working normally for you again now! :)

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

All is good. It's just that this is probably my most valued and necessary app so glitches can temporarily cause even more hair loss than I have already sustained :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know you might not be able to tell, but under this hat is what's left after decades as a tech junkie. :yum:

This discussion has been closed.