Feature Request: Specific word search in notes

Options
Hendo
Hendo
Community Member

Users who keep their account emails and passwords in 1Password will definitely find this feature really useful. Let's say you have too many account infos listed but you're trying to find one that you listed maybe a couple of days ago. With this feature, you wouldn't have to keep scrolling through the list, looking at each one, one at a time as it is time consuming. Will the team take this into consideration? Thank you!

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 8.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• repetitore
    repetitore
    Community Member
    Options

hello, sorry for my bad english. i have a lot of long secure notes. when i search for a word in my 1p safe, 1p find the note with contains the word but does not bring me to the point within the note where the word is. so i have to scroll manualy and look for the word !? how can i search so, that 1p bring me to the word itself within the note? thanks ...

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• repetitore
    repetitore
    Community Member
    Options

hello, sorry for my bad english. i have a lot of long secure notes. when i search for a word in my 1p safe, 1p find the note with contains the word but does not bring me to the point within the note where the word is. so i have to scroll manualy and look for the word !? how can i search so, that 1p bring me to the word itself within the note? thanks ...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi @repetitore ,

Thanks so much for writing in! At this time, 1Password does not have the ability to highlight a specific word inside a Secure Note, but I'd be happy to let our team know that this is a feature you would like to see.

ref: OPI-1246

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Hendo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree that searching within notes could be very helpful, but for your specific example I'd recommend breaking those credentials out into more appropriate categories (such as a Login item for each email account).

Thanks!

Ben

• chrisporosky
    chrisporosky
    Community Member
    Options

We would like the ability to search and find keyword 'within' a secure note as well. It seems like no password managers have this feature yet so it would also set you apart from the pack. It cannot be that difficult?

• chrisporosky
    chrisporosky
    Community Member
    Options

We also would like to see the ability to find keyword search within a secure note. No password manager seems to do this today so it would set you apart.

• Ben
    Options

We appreciate the feedback. :)

It cannot be that difficult?

I used to say things like this too before I started watching over the shoulders of my colleagues in development on occasion. Heh. There are a lot of factors that go into determining if now is the right time to develop a feature or fix a bug, including but not limited to: the severity (the number of people affected and how greatly they are affected), the time required to fix, what impact there might be on other parts of the product, how it affects development on other platforms (cross-platform consistency is a goal), and how many other things meet the same or greater criteria -- along with what development resources are available.

What appears simple almost never is. If it were we probably wouldn't pay someone else to do it. ;)

Ben

• chrispowers2
    chrispowers2
    Community Member
    Options

I'll parrot what Hendo has asked for. PLEASE add a feature allowing to search "notes" which highlights the results, for Mac OS and iOS. I don't understand why this isn't possible already. Seems a bit silly not to have this feature. This capability would make 1Password much better. Thank you:)

• Thanks for the vote, @chrispowers2.

• strongster
    strongster
    Community Member
    Options

LastPass supports the ability to search notes, which is why I switched to them from a previous password manager.

LastPass is browser based, so I believe they just leverage the Control-F / Command-F functionality of whatever browser you are in.

I just purchased 1Password today to try it out, hoping to find that it was easier to use than LastPass. Unfortunately, in 1Password I can't search in notes, and I have many secure notes that I need to search through a lot. The suggestion to just break the notes into separate entries doesn't work in my case. Adding my vote - PLEASE add a feature to search notes and highlight the results. It would be nice if the notes field was a bit larger as well, or expandable by dragging the edge down or something.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Noted (ha!)

In all seriousness, improving search is something we'd very much like to do. Thanks for letting us know this is important to you as well! :)

This discussion has been closed.