1Password.html file is not being created or updated anymore?

dc95
dc95
Community Member

Have been using 1Password for awhile and it's great!

I noticed that the 1Password.html file in my vault hasn't been updated for several months (it says October, 2015). I've tried everything to update it or recreate it, resetting up dropbox sync even. Created a demo vault as a test and 1Password.html wasn't created when I looked in the package either. Can you assist?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:1password anywhere

Comments

• That
    That
    Community Member

Came here wondering the same thing, would love to hear any news on this :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dc95: Now to be clear, there's nothing wrong with your existing 1Password.html file. It won't be updated since the items are separate files. It's just an interface to the rest of the data in your vault.

@That: I do apologize for any confusion though! 1PasswordAnywhere is no longer being created as part of new vaults, but you can download it here and place it in the root of your .agilekeychain:

https://com-agilebits-users.s3.amazonaws.com/brenty/1PasswordAnywhere.zip

1PasswordAnywhere is being phased out, as it was developed long ago as part of 1Password 3 and the old AgileKeychain format, which it depends on. The OPVault format doesn’t support it, so it isn’t something we’ll be able to support going forward. And frankly 1Password for Teams is — even as an early beta — already much more secure, advanced, and easier to use than 1PasswordAnywhere, so that's probably the future of this type of vault access. If you do join the 1Password for Teams beta, we'd love to hear your feedback so we can continue making it even better! :)

https://teams.1password.com

• That
    That
    Community Member

Great! Good to hear the passwords are still accessible when I don't have my devices at hand and a replacement is in the works. The beta sounds interesting, I'll have a look :) Cheers!

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

So, does placing this 1Password.html file inside the package cause it to be updated? I'm not seeing that.

1Password for teams is an add on service per user/per month and that's not the use case I'm looking for here. It's more for giving family members access to a shared vault in an emergency. They're not going to pay a monthly fee or in most cases have the 1Password software installed on their devices.

Is there a way to do this moving forward - allow occasional/emergency access to a shared vault by a non 1Password user?

Thanks again for keeping us organized!

Oh also, if 1P Anywhere is being phased out, it might help if you update the documentation on the site, I did all the things a customer should do before posting here and I kept finding instructions on how to use it :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dc95,

So, does placing this 1Password.html file inside the package cause it to be updated?

As Brenty mentioned above, the 1Password.html file "won't be updated since the items are separate files. It's just an interface to the rest of the data in your vault." The 1Password.agilekeychain file will be updated whenever data in your vault changes, but the 1Password.html is a static file.

It's more for giving family members access to a shared vault in an emergency. They're not going to pay a monthly fee or in most cases have the 1Password software installed on their devices.

Thanks for explaining your situation. I can certainly understand why you want family members to have access to your data, just in case. However, I'm curious. Does your family currently use another password solution? It seems to me that 1Password could be more to them than just a way to access your data in the case of an emergency. As we build and grow 1Password for Teams, we want to make it even more accessible to families, so that everyone can enjoy the security and convenience of 1Password, including the secure sharing of data for emergencies. So, I'd love to hear a bit more about what might be keeping your family from trying 1Password at this time. Perhaps we can improve the software to make it more accessible for them. :)

Is there a way to do this moving forward - allow occasional/emergency access to a shared vault by a non 1Password user?

At this time, we recommend filling out the In Case of Emergency: the 1Password Emergency Kit. This is a document created by one of our amazing users and helps ensure that important data is passed on.

I think that 1Password for Teams will be a great way to address this issue moving forward. I can't quite say what emergency access to a vault will look like, but I'm happy to share your thoughts with our development team for consideration.

Oh also, if 1P Anywhere is being phased out, it might help if you update the documentation on the site, I did all the things a customer should do before posting here and I kept finding instructions on how to use it

First of all, thanks so much for taking a peek at our documentation before posting here - we really appreciate it, and it's great to hear that you were able to find information on the topic you were searching! I'll let our documentation team know that we might have some updating to do there.

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

I hear you and I thank you for having the answer.

This sounds like a disappointing step backward though.

It's unlikely that I'm going to convince my family to (a) switch over to the password solution I use and (b) pay $5 / month in perpetuity to do so.

The lack of ongoing fee has been one of the most important differentiating features of the product.

And really, I don't want that to be part of this discussion. I need to be able to say "open this document using any web browser if you need to"

That's what 1P was for me. Less importantly it was also a security blanket if I lost device and needed my passport photo etc.

So sorry to say I am not as excited as you, but this is really a great product and I plan to keep using it. I guess I'll just bundle download instructions for 1Password in case of emergency.

Oh and also I still recommend you update your online documentation :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's unlikely that I'm going to convince my family to (a) switch over to the password solution I use and (b) pay $5 / month in perpetuity to do so.

@dc95: Well, it's currently 100% free, and like I said we'd like to offer a 'family-friendly' option in the future as well. I'd love to hear more about what you think would work in your particular situation. ;)

The lack of ongoing fee has been one of the most important differentiating features of the product.

Honestly, I've felt the same way! "Weirdly" though, a lot of people have been asking for this type of service. And while I still have a little bit of that...hmm...apprehension, I will say that I had the same feeling about subscription-based online games initially, and of course now I'm addicted to their similarly persistent, ubiquitous nature.

And really, I don't want that to be part of this discussion. I need to be able to say "open this document using any web browser if you need to"

Indeed. I'm warming up to the idea of accessing 1Password in any web browser without having to plan for that ahead of time.

So sorry to say I am not as excited as you, but this is really a great product and I plan to keep using it. I guess I'll just bundle download instructions for 1Password in case of emergency.
    Oh and also I still recommend you update your online documentation :)

Hey, no problem. It may not be for everyone. And of course as we roll out this change across the other platforms we'll update the knowledgebase to reflect this. Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

Brently,

Thanks for listening...

I guess a family friendly option would allow me to export an encrypted vault file on demand and send it / place it for someone to access later. I have no problem with said file having links to install the full product if that's how you want to do it, I just don't want to front load the conversation "...and you need to download this app..."

I'm not anti-subscription services, just that, as you say, they are ubiquitous and that means that each of us needs to prioritize how many to add to the list. I'd say the once in a dark situation download doesn't make the cut for me. However, I totally get how teams would benefit from the service and glad you're making the option available to them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I guess a family friendly option would allow me to export an encrypted vault file on demand and send it / place it for someone to access later. I have no problem with said file having links to install the full product if that's how you want to do it, I just don't want to front load the conversation "...and you need to download this app..."

@dc95: To be clear, if your family will only be using 1Password in your absence, all you'd really need is to have it for yourself and provide them the necessary information to access it under such circumstances. And I'd include a link to AgileBits, because while we obviously can't provide something we don't have, such as your Master Password, etc., what we can do is help walk them through the process and answer any questions they might have, so long as you provide them with the tools they need to access your data. It's good to plan ahead. Hopefully that day is a long way off.

I'm not anti-subscription services, just that, as you say, they are ubiquitous and that means that each of us needs to prioritize how many to add to the list. I'd say the once in a dark situation download doesn't make the cut for me. However, I totally get how teams would benefit from the service and glad you're making the option available to them.

Understood. And I think that's a key benefit of 1Password for Teams: being able to access through the browser. We're not everywhere yet, but we're quickly working toward that goal.

And no need to thank me. I really appreciate you taking the time to have this dialogue with me. I'd feel a bit silly talking to myself! This is definitely something we need to continue to consider as we develop 1Password going forward. And these are things that we should all be thinking about anyway. So thank you for bringing it up! :)

• db5
    db5
    Community Member

Hello, I have only just started to use 1password. Followed all of the documentation, and quickly came to realize that if I was away from my computer, travelling, and did not have access to my android device (lost, stolen, dropped, broken, wet, etc) I would be completely without access to any of my accounts.

I also work on client computers (based on their security needs) and without access to 1password I have no access to web based email, bank accounts or anything else that I have hardened with long random complex passwords. This has even given me some pause to reconsider the hardened password on my dropbox account. How do I start 1password.html if the dropbox password is in the vault.

The 1password.html and cloud based access to my keychain is fundamental to recovery from the loss of access to my 1password device.

I agree with dc95 that paying a monthly fee, only to have emergency access to my own data seems like a disservice to your clients. Who can easily finding themselves in a difficult situation. (eg travelling and just lost, broke or had stolen their only access to all of their information).

With many people using their smartphone as their main (only) access to their online world - it can be their only device with 1password on it. There was an example in the Emergency Kit of losing access to 1password devices over time - if you only have 1 device you could lose that access at any given moment.

Just hoping that you do not eliminate this type of emergency access. I hope that you find a way to provide it as you move away from the agilekeychain - without requiring a user to spend money monthly for insurance that they will have access to their accounts in an emergency.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I agree with dc95 that paying a monthly fee, only to have emergency access to my own data seems like a disservice to your clients.

@db5: I'm not sure where you got that impression. If you want to host the data yourself and use 1PasswordAnywhere, you're welcome to.

If, however, you want someone else to host your data and run a server for you though, it's going to cost you something. A single Password license isn't billed as 'a one-time purchase with access to your data from any device in the world forever' for a reason: it isn't a viable business model, and you'd quickly find yourself both without the money you spent and without your data, as we'd have to close up shop pretty fast, since we're not in the business of selling customer data to pay our bandwidth fees.

You can continue to use 1PasswordAnywhere just as you always have. No one's going to reach into your AgileKeychain and snatch it away, though it's up to Dropbox if they continue to allow it access to their servers. :blush:

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

Brenty,

Now I'm confused again.

You said 1PasswordAnywhere is being phased out. How would I host the data myself and use it if it's not longer being supported? I'd be happy to use that option!

Thanks for the clarification.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @DC95,

You can keep the 1Password.html file in your AgileKeychain folder and it'll last as long as the web browser can interpret the Javascript code in the html file to turn it into the web app. Basically, you need your own web server and open the HTML file from that server. If you're using Safari, it will let you open the file directly to run it as a web app. Firefox and Chrome won't let you do this because of the security policy in place to prevent running Javascript in the local files.

What we mean by phased out is that we will not be updating nor providing support for it. If there's a change in the future where the browser or anything else will not longer run the web app, we will not provide a workaround or a fix for it.

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

Mike,

The issue I was having is that the 1Password.html file is not being updated anymore, so it now only has a fraction of the login information that's correct, so essentially it's unusable. Do I have that correct? Thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dc95,

The issue I was having is that the 1Password.html file is not being updated anymore...

As Brenty and Megan both explained above, the 1Password.html file never gets updated - it's always the exact same file, no matter what changes you make to the data in your 1Password vault. To be clear, your 1Password data is not stored in the 1Password.html file.
    That file is simply a way to access your data, which is stored in other (encrypted) files within the .agilekeychain package. When you make a change in 1Password, other files within the .agilekeychain package will be changed, but not the 1Password.html file. Think of that file as sort of a front door to a house: No matter what changes you make inside the house, the front door stays the same.

...so it now only has a fraction of the login information that's correct, so essentially it's unusable.

Do you mean that when you use 1PasswordAnywhere from dropbox.com, you're missing some of your 1Password data? If so, what sort of data is missing? For example, are you missing entire items, or just certain data within your items? If you create a new Login item in 1Password, does that Login item show up in 1PasswordAnywhere?

1PasswordAnywhere is an old feature that was designed to give you basic, read-only access to your 1Password vault from a web browser. It does have some limitations, and doesn't show all the data that can exist in your vault. For example, 1PasswordAnywhere doesn't support attachments, only shows one URL in Login items (even if there are multiple URLs), and won't show custom fields that have been added to your items. Could that explain the problem you're having? If you can let us know more about the issue(s) you're running into with 1PasswordAnywhere, we should have a better idea of what's going on. Thanks! :)

• dc95
    dc95
    Community Member

Drew_Ag,

As I said, I was confused, and the documentation on your site is out of date.

However, I'm still a fan of the product and the service and you're doing a great job of filling in the gaps in the documentation!

Here's what I didn't know that I know now:

1. 1Password.html is no longer being created along with new vaults, so if it's not there it's not because it's a bug. Got it.
    2. 1Passsword.hml, the actual file shouldn't be updated, so when it says "date last modified" in the Finder of October, 2014, that's not relevant. Check.
    3. 1Password.html can't be viewed locally on Safari or Chrome, when that happens I get an error.
    4. It CAN be viewed by going to Dropbox on the Web. That works.
    5. Don't be confused by the top number "All items" on the desktop app, which includes a lot of other things, and the top number when you open 1Password.html, which is just your logins. Look lower down on the desktop app and you'll see the same number of logins, which means you're not missing data.

How did I do?

Your last message added the last bit of clarity - sometimes when you're in it all day, which I assume you are, so we need to get some of those details which you probably take for granted.

+1 for responding to every post and I hope my summary above will help others who have the same question.

1Password.html is now in my vault and I can use it from Dropbox.

Can I make a completely unrelated request because I don't think it's deserving of a whole thread, and it's the only other thing on the wish list is that I'd love it if I could turn off the animation of the lock opening on desktop and iOS, when I'm out to get a password, I want to get it, and I don't need the fancy acrobatics. I'm one of those people who turns off the genie effect on OSX and parallax view/zoom in/out on iOS.

Thanks again, for everything. You've been great.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No one's going to reach into your AgileKeychain and snatch it away

@dc95: This is what I meant. We're not taking it out of your .agilekeychain. I'm sorry for causing additional confusion!

The issue I was having is that the 1Password.html file is not being updated anymore, so it now only has a fraction of the login information that's correct, so essentially it's unusable. Do I have that correct? Thank you!

As Drew alluded, 1PasswordAnywhere hasn't been updated for years. It isn't written when you make changes to items. Those are all separate files.

As I said, I was confused, and the documentation on your site is out of date.

If you can direct me to the specific documentation you're referring to and what you believe is erroneous, I'll be happy to update it! The purpose of the documentation is to reduce or prevent confusion, not create or exacerbate it, so I apologize if we inadvertently sent you down a rabbit hole here.

1Password.html can't be viewed locally on Safari or Chrome, when that happens I get an error.

I think you're dead-on, with this one exception: it actually works just fine in Safari from the local filesystem, but you're correct that Chrome and Firefox prevent it from loading external files.

Can I make a completely unrelated request because I don't think it's deserving of a whole thread, and it's the only other thing on the wish list is that I'd love it if I could turn off the animation of the lock opening on desktop and iOS, when I'm out to get a password, I want to get it, and I don't need the fancy acrobatics. I'm one of those people who turns off the genie effect on OSX and parallax view/zoom in/out on iOS.

Yes! Ask away! We can certainly consider adding an option to disable animations in a future version. Confusingly though, the animation does serve a purpose: it lets you know that something happening when you try to unlock 1Password. Without the animation, it would just sit there as the decryption happens, appearing to be frozen. So it sounds like what you want is for 1Password to just unlock faster, and the only thing that can make that happen is faster hardware. That said, there may be something else we can do to improve it, to at least make it feel more responsive. Thanks for letting us know how you'd like it improved!

Thanks again, for everything. You've been great.

Likewise! On behalf of my awesome AgileBits teammates, you're most welcome. Thanks so much for taking the time to discuss this with us and give us your feedback! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.