Lost attachments in my login entry

Options
candrewbauer
candrewbauer
Community Member

I seem to have lost some attachments. In two cases, they were Apple Text Edit .rtf files and in the other it is a .png. I think I've had better luck with .pdfs--I haven't checked all attachments--regardless, it's disconcerting. It seems to have affected both my laptop and my iPhone app.

1Password Version: 5.4 (540046)
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @candrewbauer,

When you say lost do you mean completely gone, that there is no evidence that they existed at all or that they are lost as in they are refusing to open? This will guide the rest of the troubleshooting so we'll await your answer before proceeding. I am sorry that you've had to contact us with such a query :(

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. Should've described that better. Yes, there is still an icon and a title in attachments, but if I try to open it, I get a dialog that says "The document...could not be opened".

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@candrewbauer what happens if you choose one of the "rogue" attachments and drag it to the desktop. Can you open it from there?

Stephen

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. It's broken there as well. In one case, it was listed as being 0 kb, so clearly something has been corrupted. I get the sense from other posts that I need to hunt around in archives.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @candrewbauer,

Let's try looking in a recent backup. First, use File > Backup to make a fresh backup of your 1Password data so that we can restore to your most recent point after poking around in the archives.

Now, use File > Restore to look at an older backup. Once you've located a backup where the attachments are complete, drag the attachments to your desktop and restore to the newest backup that we created earlier. Then you can re-attach the attachments to the appropriate entries.

Please let me know if this helps!

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. I'll try that out tonight. That said, attachments shouldn't just break, right? Is this because of a 1Password update, or is it the nature of the attachments? They've only been .rtf and .png files--nothing crazy. If this feature is unreliable, I'd just prefer not to use it quite frankly.

• @candrewbauer Nothing should just break. :wink: The feature has not been unreliable in most cases, and the files you're uploading certainly do not sound like they would cause any issues with it. I am curious, though: What is the biggest individual file you've tried to attach to an item? We limit things at 5MB so trying to add one higher than that may cause issues.

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

I can't remember with the png, but certainly the rtf files are nowhere near 5mb. Generally, the stuff I'm saving are just e-mails or screen grabs with passwords or security questions--nothing seriously complex. I've yet to search the back-up, but I'm hoping tonight or sometime soon.

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan I went back to a year ago, and I was not able to find an uncorrupted copy of the affected attachments. In truth, none of this stuff--at least what I've found as yet--was so incredibly important. This is to say, I'm happy to just move forward, although I'm more concerned with the likelihood this will happen with one of my more important attachments.

• candrewbauer
    candrewbauer
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth I will remember the 5mb limit for the future, but again, I don't think anything I attached was close to that.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @candrewbauer,

I'm so sorry to hear that you weren't able to recover the attachments.

This is to say, I'm happy to just move forward, although I'm more concerned with the likelihood this will happen with one of my more important attachments.

I really wish I had a great answer for you here. I can tell you that our developers have made improvements to the 1Password database to make attachment handling more reliable, and we're working on an even better solution for this in 1Password for Teams (which is currently in beta testing).

Please do keep an eye on your attachments, if you notice any other ones that aren't behaving, we can get a Diagnostics Report and see if the Report sheds any light on the situation.

This discussion has been closed.