Error with logging in to a website that 1pw created the pw

I went to a website and reset the password, 1password autofilled a new pw and I saved it. When I tried to login the next time, 1pw autofilled but I got this error “There was an error w/your user ID & PW combo, please try again.” I tried 3 times but it didn’t work.

Essentially, it's not accurately filling in what it created.

I had the trial version of 1pw then bought the paid version. I had the same thing happen with the trial version. I'm wondering if the icon is still using the trial version. please help, thanks.

Stephanie

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I went to a website and reset the password, 1password autofilled a new pw and I saved it. When I tried to login the next time, 1pw autofilled but I got this error “There was an error w/your user ID & PW combo, please try again.” I tried 3 times but it didn’t work. please help, thanks!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@StephanieDignan: 1Password can only fill what you've saved in it. Please edit the Login item to make sure that the login credentials are correct. The trial version works exactly the same, it's just limited to 30 days and 20 items.

Please note that when you change a password for a website, you'll need to do so both on the website itself and in 1Password. Otherwise they won't have matching information that agrees. And to be clear, 1Password doesn't autofill. If you're seeing login credential being filled without an action on your part, then something else is going on — perhaps you're using the browser's autofill feature.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• StephanieDignan
    StephanieDignan
    Community Member

Auto fill was probably the wrong term. I have not allowed my browser to save the password.

I went to the 1pw app then went to login the went to the website I was trying to get into. It filled in the password that it created but the password didn't work.

I didn't choose that pw, it was generated by 1pw.

• Hi @StephanieDignan,

There are a couple of possible reasons for this kind of thing to happen.
    I'm not ruling out a bug in 1Password or a general incompatibility with this particular site but—ignoring third-party interference—I have another idea for a cause:

Maybe the password you generated with 1Password is too long. I had this happen to me more than once.
    The instructions on the site weren't clear, I used 1Password to generate a long password (40 characters) and sbumitted it to the site.

1Password saved the long, 40 character password I generated, the site however only saved the first 24 characters.
    Thus, when trying to fill the password using 1Password at a later point, it would try to fill the 40 character password that obviously didn't match the shorter password stored in the website's database.

Could that be the case here?

• StephanieDignan
    StephanieDignan
    Community Member

I tried again to change the password. This time I encountered a different issue. I went to the site, then went to Account then change pw. 1pw generated a new pw and it was the correct length that the pw needs to be. When I logged out then went back to login, the site wasn't listed on the 1pw icon for me to use it. It was listed in my master 1pw on the computer but I don't know how to login that way.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015

Hi @StephanieDignan,

Did you get prompted to update or save your Login when you submit the password change on the site?

Can you find your Login item in the main 1Password app, check the URL, make sure it is correct. If not, change it to match the site's URL and see if that'll fix it.

• StephanieDignan
    StephanieDignan
    Community Member

I was able to do it. Thanks for the help.

• That's great to hear and thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.