Feature Request: Show Master Password/Hint

I have been trialing the 1Password for Windows version. It's nice. I'd love to see more usability options and features, such as those found in Roboform and LastPass. One suggestion, it'd be nice to have a checkbox to visually see the password when changing the Master Password. Also, a password hint option would be great. I think a danger in not being able to see your Master Password change is...what if you enter the wrong password twice, and then change it, and can't get back into your vault. Need that checkbox to be able to double-check you're entering what you think you're entering.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Make the exact same mistake twice? What are the odds?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011

...what if you enter the wrong password twice, and then change it, and can't get back into your vault.

By "enter the wrong password" I assume you mean typing some kind of typo, like passwrod, rather than password, in both text boxes in the Change Password dialog box. I can see that happening, especially if you type too quickly to notice. Once it happened, though, that would be your master password—you'd be able to change it again only if you did it within the same 1Password session; otherwise, you'd have to type the same mistake again to unlock 1Password. That seems even more unlikely; but I guess it's not impossible.

Maybe a good solution would be for the Change Password dialog box to respect the setting of the View > Conceal Passwords command in force at the time.

That may be something we can look into, for a future release. Thanks for letting us know you'd find it useful, CE.

In the meantime, please type your master password with care. :rolleyes:
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member

Make the exact same mistake twice? What are the odds?

After working in Corporate IT with 10000s of users changing passwords often due to password enforcement policies, higher than you might be thinking ;)
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    DBrown wrote:

By "enter the wrong password" I assume you mean typing some kind of typo, like passwrod, rather than password, in both text boxes in the Change Password dialog box. I can see that happening, especially if you type too quickly to notice. Once it happened, though, that would be your master password—you'd be able to change it again only if you did it within the same 1Password session; otherwise, you'd have to type the same mistake again to unlock 1Password. That seems even more unlikely; but I guess it's not impossible.

Maybe a good solution would be for the Change Password dialog box to respect the setting of the View > Conceal Passwords command in force at the time.

That may be something we can look into, for a future release. Thanks for letting us know you'd find it useful, CE.

In the meantime, please type your master password with care. :rolleyes:

I know it's unlikely, but I've seen it happen. And I think something as simple as a button to show/hide password string such as KeePass has (the three dots button) would suffice. But I do type this as a nitpicky request, of course :)
This discussion has been closed.