Allow iOS helper app to stay unlocked for a bit?

sarandipt
sarandipt
Community Member

I like the fact that I can use 1Password on my iPad while I'm in Safari. It's very useful. However, it's a bit frustrating because I'm often doing something where I need to fill in 2 or 3 different bits of information, and I have to enter my complicated master password for each item. For example, I may need to 1) login to a website 2) enter my shipping address 3) sign-in to PayPal.

Is it possible for you to allow the helper app to stay unlocked for a certain number of minutes? Or is that somehow an iOS limitation?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 6.1.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @sarandipt,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

Unlike 1Password for Mac where we have a background application that keeps track of the lock state (1Password mini) on iOS everything is up to the 1Password app.

That said, what you are asking for should still be possible. You'll need to adjust the settings under 1Password > Settings > Security. In particular you'd need to turn Lock on Exit off, and I would recommend turning on either Touch ID (if your device is capable) or a PIN (if not).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• sarandipt
    sarandipt
    Community Member

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. When I am using Safari on iOS and I want to log into a web page, I tap on the box-with-an-arrow icon and then tap the 1Password icon to autofill the current page. Each and every time I do that (even within my defined lockout time) I have to enter my password again, even though Lock on Exit is already turned off within the 1Password full app.

Also, if I set a PIN, that makes the full app vulnerable to a 4-character passcode (no touch ID on my iPad). I do actually want to use my full password for the additional protection; I just don't want to have to type it 3 times in 5 minutes.

• Sorry @sarandipt, we are indeed talking about the same thing, but unfortunately turning off Lock on Exit only has an effect when either a PIN or Touch ID is enabled.

Ben

• sarandipt
    sarandipt
    Community Member

OK, well since I don't have Touch ID and I object to the PIN for the reason stated above, consider it a feature request. Unless, of course, it just isn't possible due to the API.

• Hmm. I don't think there is any technical reason to not do so (perhaps some security concern), but either way I'd be happy to pass the suggestion along to our development team for their consideration.

Ben

• Frank_B
    Frank_B
    Community Member

I have to agree with @sarandipt. It's pretty frustrating to have to re-enter the master password into 1password each time I move to a new section of a web form in IOS Safari. Giving the app a short open period would be great. If it's short, the risk is small (or smaller?).

• Good morning @sarandipt and @Frank_B. There may be a half measure here that could help you achieve what you're looking for. But first, a little background:

On iOS, whenever you open the 1Password Extension from within Safari you are effectively starting 1Password from scratch. What this means is that it remembers nothing from the last time you opened it (except what it can save to disk before being closed). Corollary to that, the way our quick unlock functionality works is by saving an obfuscated version of your Master Password to the iOS keychain which we can then use to decrypt your data once you provide a PIN code or authenticate with Touch ID. If you don't set a PIN code or enable Touch ID then your Master Password never gets saved in the iOS keychain.

What this means for the Auto-Lock timeout is that if 1Password gets killed (removed from memory) we don't have any way to automatically decrypt your data the next time it launches because the Master Password doesn't exist anywhere we have access to it. Since each time you open the 1Password Extension it is starting from scratch, this is why you are always prompted for your Master Password.

Now, back to my half measure. You could set a PIN code on your device with a reasonable timeout for interactions like logging into a website. You can then use an advanced setting to automatically expire the Master Password after an hour. You can find this setting in Settings > Advanced > Security. This way you'll have the benefits of not having to type in your Master Password while logging into a website and you'll have the comfort of knowing that after an hour your Master Password will be required again.

This discussion has been closed.