1password disappointment

Options
yardseld
yardseld
Community Member

This email has also been sent to your support email address...

Hi Support and Dave,

Firstly i will explain how i have the 1password app.

I am currently using a iMac and have Parallels installed, recently i received an email from Paralles offering an upgrade package which contains their latest version ( i was only 1 version behind) along wiht some other software, namely 1Password.

I had look at this program previously and also know some other people who have it and i had considered purchasing it.

since i receive this offer from parallels, i decided i would take it up. even though i have technically received 1 password for free, i must say i am extremely disappointed to find out that there are 2 versions available (iCloud sync) and the version that i have has less functionally then the once offered on the app store. I only own apple devices and the attraction that everything would sync through iCloud was one of the main reasons for considering it.

With that being said. I have read your tech support pages and understand that you have an issue with the iCloud section.. what i don’t understand is why you feel the need to sell it direct through your website, surely it would be better to feel it only through the apple website, hence offering full functionality.

i appreciate that this you offer a full refund with a 30 day trial, how ever as i have purchased this via other means, of which your program was the only reason i spent the money, (i wasn’t going to upgrade to parallels V11) i can not help but feel cheated.

If i was aware that this version didn’t have iCloud sync I would not have spent the money.

I don’t know how you can rectify this situation but i can assure you that this has left a bad taste in my mouth and i am thoroughly disappointed with this process. i would appreciate if you could look into providing a version of your software which contains iCloud sync,

I await your reply

Best Regards

Bruce Drysdale

1Password 5
Version 5.4.1 (541003)
Agile Web Store

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud ..i wish
Referrer: ug:mac/installing-from-the-agilebits-site, ug:mac/installing-from-the-mac-app-store-mas, kb:icloud-requires-mac-app-store, kb-search:icloud, kb:icloud-requires-mac-app-store

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @yardseld,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us about this, and I'm very sorry for any confusion!

The situation with iCloud sync is certainly less than ideal, and it's been quite frustrating for us as well. iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

Unfortunately Apple doesn't currently provide a way to convert a license for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. In addition to that, we have no way of including the Mac App Store version of 1Password with the Parallels bundle - so our choice is to include a license for the AgileBits Store version, or include nothing at all. Now, I'm guessing you might think the latter is preferable, as you mentioned this:

what i don’t understand is why you feel the need to sell it direct through your website, surely it would be better to feel it only through the apple website

There are actually various reasons why we still sell 1Password for Mac from our AgileBits Store. One is that we've been selling it from our AgileBits Store store since before the Mac App Store ever existed, and many customers still prefer to purchase it directly from us instead of from Apple. In fact, some customers don't have access to the Mac App Store (for example, they use a Mac at work but their employer blocks Mac App Store access there). Also, an advantage to buying a license for the AgileBits Store version is that we're able to give upgrade discounts on new versions, which is not possible through the Mac App Store. Another issue is that if you start using a new Apple ID or change the Country/Region setting for your Apple ID, you would no longer be able to download or update 1Password from the Mac App Store unless you re-purchase it (we don't have control over that, as it's the way the Mac App Store works).

If iCloud sync is that important to you, and if you would not have purchased the Parallels bundle if you knew about this ahead of time, you may want to contact them about a refund, and then purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store. I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! Hopefully it will be possible to add iCloud sync to the AgileBits Store version of 1Password at some point, but right now, the only way for you to get the iCloud sync option would be to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store.

I wanted to mention that Dropbox sync is also a great sync option, and it's how many of us here have always synced our 1Password data. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data. Dropbox sync take a few extra steps to set up at first, but once you do that, it works as automatically and as seamlessly as iCloud sync does.

Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to sync secondary vaults, and also share vaults with friends, family, and co-workers (it's not currently possible to share anything between iCloud accounts). And it's the only sync solution that works across all platforms supported by 1Password: Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and confusion! I hope this helps to at least explain the situation. If you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you! :)

• yardseld
    yardseld
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your prompt response, i appreciate al that you have mentioned, i still feel that there must be a better way to explain before purchasing that 1Password is not always 1Password... if you understand what i mean.. not providing functionality from 1 version to the next makes it a different program.

as mentioned i am disappointed with this, although i understand your explanation. I will look into parallels and the possibility of a refund as i feel that i would prefer 1Password with iCloud sync. this doesn't mean i won't use dropbox if a refund isn't offered.

once again thank you for your response

Regards

Bruce

• @yardseld I totally understand what you mean, and again we're very sorry for the confusion. Good luck chatting with Parallels about getting a refund — I'm sure they'll be willing to work things out. :) If not, Dropbox really is an awesome sync solution and has a lot of benefits, from supporting multiple vaults to being able to share them with your spouse or coworkers. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let us know.

This discussion has been closed.