I've enabled iCloud Drive but it still does not show up as an option in Preferences ->Sync on 1 Pass

Options
bearden
bearden
Community Member

I wanted to switch from wiFi sync to iCloud sync but I can't get iCloud as an option in preferences

1Password Version: 1Password 5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud (I'm trying to set up)
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-icloud, kb:icloud-not-available, kb:icloud-enable-in-system-preferences, kb:icloud-troubleshooting, kb:icloud-enable-in-system-preferences

Comments

• bearden
    bearden
    Community Member
    Options

email address confirmed

• bearden
    bearden
    Community Member
    Options

I can sync my iPhone and iPad 1Password apps but not the one on my Mac Book Pro. ICloud is not an option in my preferences in 1Password 5

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Probably you have the version direct from AgileBits. Apple's restrictions do not allow itiCloud sync on this version.

If you really want iCloud sync, and have bought no more than thirty days ago, you can get a refund from AgileBits and then buy 1PW from the Mac App Store.

Dropbox sync is possible with the version from AgileBits (and all versions). Many of us, including many AgileBits staff, are happy with Dropbox sync. And buying direct also ensures that if there is a paid upgrade to 1PW (which will happen some time, though it is probably distant) you can get an upgrade discount from the AgileBits store, while this is not possible through the App Store

• @bearden - Hi Jeb, I don't see a purchase from this email address in our AgileBits store but maybe you purchased with a different one? If you purchased within 30 days we will be happy to refund so you can re-purchase from Mac App Store. So we can help you in more detail with this and check which version you have, could you email us at support+forum@agilebits.com. In the email, can you include a link back to this forum post. Thanks!

• bearden
    bearden
    Community Member
    Options

I've been a 1Password user for years. I updated to version 5 on August
    18, 2014 order number 9337500.
    I've been using WiFi sync with my old iPhone 3, but I want to use iCloud
    with my recent acquisition of iPhone 6. I can sync my iPhone and iPad
    but not from my computer.
    I abandoned Dropbox for SpiderOak because of its stronger privacy
    protections. I use SpiderOak for all my backing up in the cloud.
    I assume that you don't make syncing via SpiderOak. I have more
    confidence (misplaced?) in iCloud than in Dropbox.

Am I stuck without buying a new version of 1Password from Apple?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bearden,

I'm sorry for the confusion! To be quite honest, yes, due to Apple's sandboxing restrictions, the only way for you to get iCloud sync on the Mac at this point would be to buy 1Password from the Mac App Store. I wish we had a way to transfer licenses to the Mac App Store but it isn't possible at this time.

However, Dropbox is a very reliable and easy sync option. I use it, as do many of my AgileBits teammates. 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so with regard to security there's no difference between syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud. 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of either to protect your data.

You can also sync multiple vaults with Dropbox, whereas iCloud currently can only sync the Primary vault. Dropbox also has the advantage that it can be used to share vaults with friends, family, and coworkers; it's not possible to share anything between iCloud accounts.

And of course, you also have the option to continue to use Wi-Fi sync.

Hopefully one of these options will work for you. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.