1Password 5 won't open

Options
tylerbickford
tylerbickford
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5, and now it won't launch. I am getting the error, "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini". I have removed all other versions of 1password and disconnected my time machine backup. I moved the 1Password folder in ~/Library/Application Support to the desktop. I rebooted the computer several times after each change. I deleted and reinstalled 1Password several times. Activity Monitor shows no other 1Password processes running. None of these changes have made a difference.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: kb:sync-options, kb:error-connect-to-mini, kb:remove-multiple-apps, kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• tylerbickford
    tylerbickford
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, now I've deleted everything connected to 1Password on my computer (Application Support folder, LaunchAgent plist) other than the iOS apps and the database itself in my Dropbox folder, I disconnected Time Machine, rebooted, and still a new install of 1Password 5 won't open and gives the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tylerbickford,

I'm sorry you're having such trouble with 1Password 5!

For the error message you're getting, we normally suggest trying the steps here: Troubleshooting “1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini”

However, it sounds like you've already tried those steps. In that case, the cause of that error is probably due to El Capitan failing to properly remove a quarantine flag from the 1Password 5 app the first time it's opened after being downloaded. If that's the problem, you should be able to solve it by following the steps in this post.

Does that solve the problem? Please let us know how it goes and if you have any questions about that. Thanks! :)

• tylerbickford
    tylerbickford
    Community Member
    Options

That worked, thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! I'm really glad that solved the problem, @tylerbickford! :) If you need anything else, we're here for you.

This discussion has been closed.