I am trying to import data from Splash ID Safe into 1password and got gibberish.

Options
williamansley
williamansley
Community Member

I exported a SplashID vid file to dropbox from an iPhone 6s running iOS 9.1 from Splash ID Safe 8. I was able to import it successfully, with no errors, but the result seems to be gibberish, or, more specifically, hexadecimal numbers; with a few recognizable words like file (followed by a small number) and abbreviated month names.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:import-splashid, kb:import, kb:import-splashid

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options
  • Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @williamansley,

Please let me know if the link that Hawkmoth shared has helped! :)

• williamansley
    williamansley
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for trying to help hawkmoth, but the converters didn't do anything for me. I finally was able to get my data into 1password, however. I hadn't been syncing it off of my previous iPhone (a 3GS), since there was a bug that overwrote some of my data by syncing the wrong way years ago, so I gave up on syncing. I finally decided to upgrade to a modern iPhone (6S), and decided I should get a modern password manager. Since Joe Kissel recommended 1password in his Take Control of Your passwords book, and I had seen great things written about it elsewhere, I decided to try it.

Anyway, I was able to export my data from SplashID Safe on my old phone to dropbox as a ,vid file, but 1password couldn't import that. But I installed SplashID Safe for Mac on my PowerBook and imported the .vid file into it, then re-exported as a .vid (not .vid3), and imported this .vid file into 1password. This time, everything looks as if it came over properly.

Megan, thanks for following up. I haven't yet decided if I am going to choose 1password, but it looks good so far.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options

@williamansley ,

I'd like to understand more of the issue you seemed to have with the converters. It might just be that the vld format you had from the old version of SplashID has some differences that I'm not aware of (since its and old version). Can you tell me what version of SplashID this was? And what is the version number at the top of the SplashID export .vid file?

The converters will work with either the v3 or v4 VID format, and will do a better job of categorizing the data. And the new 1.08 version in Testing Bits allows you to create custom fields for all non-mapped fields which would have gone into the Notes area as Key/Value pairs.

• williamansley
    williamansley
    Community Member
    Options

I realize that my description of what I did was quite sketchy. I will be able to check the version of SplashID on my old iPhone later this evening and will follow up with a more detailed description of what I experienced.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks, williamansley! We're looking forward to getting things sorted out for you.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.