Access Control features missing?

Options

Hi there,

I followed the Access Control (https://support.1password.com/teams-admin-access-control/) guide, but it looks like I'm missing the UI to change these settings. I have no gear icon, and no ability to modify who can view / reveal / copy passwords.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• paedi
    paedi
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    I believe everyone has read/write rights on the Everyone vault which cannot be changed. If you try any other vault, you'll realize that you have the gear icon.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wellsriley: paedi is right on. Sorry for the confusion! Hopefully that clears things up, but be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• wellsriley
    wellsriley
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty what's the rationale behind the "Everyone" vault having default open permissions for everyone? Why is it exempt from those rules?

• The idea behind the Everyone vault was to provide a vault which every team member on your team would automatically be added to, and could be used as a place to keep items or information that is to be shared with the entire team.

For example, at AgileBits, each team member adds their own Identity record with their contact information. We similarly added our license keys for software which we have a site license for. Others have added Secure notes with key information or items that are needed by all members of our team such as office Wi-Fi codes. This works well for us as a place to keep important information everyone can access.

We have heard from others that they would like to be able to change the permissions on that vault and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the same.

• wellsriley
    wellsriley
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah, I think it'd be ideal to control the access of the Everyone vault. Since it's a default, and we can't remove people from it, passwords will inevitably end up there.

Alternatively, I suppose the ability to disable / remove the "Everyone" vault would solve this issue as well.

• Thanks for the feedback, @wellsriley.

Rick

• LesserSpottedPotoroo
    Options

+1 For Granular access control of the Everyone vault. We would also like to restrict the Item types offered to users (e.g. no Logins, Passwords, Social Security Numbers or Credit Cards but all else OK). Otherwise it's probably going to end up like those shared network drive folders called "Miscellanous", eventually becoming a disorganised cesspool.

Of course, I don't expect the administrative overhead of policing Everyone will ever be zero but, to the extent it's use is controlled, we then also limit the risk of something being stored there that should have been put into a group-specific Vault instead.

Props to @wellsriley for raising it and putting it succinctly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

+1 For Granular access control of the Everyone vault. We would also like to restrict the Item types offered to users (e.g. no Logins, Passwords, Social Security Numbers or Credit Cards but all else OK). Otherwise it's probably going to end up like those shared network drive folders called "Miscellanous", eventually becoming a disorganised cesspool.

@LesserSpottedPotoroo: Ah yes, the human element. Thanks for the feedback! It certainly makes sense in that case. We'll see what we can do to accommodate these different uses and concerns. :)

• timjmcg
    timjmcg
    Community Member
    Options

be good to clarify the instructions..I just spent a bunch of time trying to figure out why I couldn't see the gear icon to change permissions

• Adam Horner
    Adam Horner
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for granular access permissions on the everyone vault - I can see why it exists from a developer perspective, but from a user perspective the sheer amount of control you provide is what I'll be paying my monthly dues for, taking away that control in one crucial place feels like I've been slightly cheated in some way.

• altryne
    altryne
    Community Member
    Options

We would love to be able to remove sharing permissions on that vault by default to everyone as well

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@altryne, @Adam Horner, @timjmcg: Thanks for letting us know! It sounds like permission controls for the Everyone vault may be more important than we'd anticipated. :)

• LesserSpottedPotoroo
    LesserSpottedPotoroo
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Grateful to the AgileBits crew for keeping an open mind @brenty. As beta releases go, the discussion is generally really healthy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, likewise — we're grateful for the positive response and fantastic feedback we're receiving every day! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.