1Password 4.6.0.592 opens Firefox, then opens page in Chrome [seems like Microsoft Edge is involved]

Options
PirateTayls
PirateTayls
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hi, I haven't seen this addressed searching the forum. I'm on Windows 10, and my default browser is set to Chrome. When I click a URL link in 1Password 4.6.0.592, it will open Firefox, and then open the link in Chrome. This happens even though Chrome is already open.

I hope I'm being clear. Click URL for a Login, Opens Firefox browser, but opens page in Chrome. I just want it to open in Chrome without firing up Firefox.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Home
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:opens firefox and chrome

Comments

• @PirateTayls - I'm sorry you are seeing this behavior if your default browser is Chrome. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Windows PC:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+windows@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• choochoosole
    choochoosole
    Community Member
    Options

I too am having the same problem. Its's quite annoying, could I get some help too?

• Hi guys,

I'm not able to reproduce this problem. One thing I do know is that some default app settings were reset after Windows 10 November 2015 update was installed. Have you guys try resetting the defaults to see if it will help?

Here's what I have set in my W10 setup:

I'd suggest changing the default browser setting back to Edge and then again back to Chrome, see if that'll fix the issue. You can find this in Settings > System > Default Apps. In some cases, you may have to set the default app via protocols. To do this, go to Settings > System > Default Apps and click on Choose default apps by protocol on the bottom. Search for HTTP and HTTPS protocols to set it to Chrome, like so in this screenshot:

Did that help at all?

ref: WLS-22595-432

• reflektion84
    reflektion84
    Community Member
    Options

I'm also experiencing the same issue. I apparently did not have 'Web Browser' set to Chrome as the Default App, however, after setting it, I am still having the issue. Firefox launches (but does not open a page), and then the page opens in Chrome.

• PirateTayls
    PirateTayls
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@MikeT ,
    Your suggestion set me on the right track.

I switched the default browser to Edge and back to Chrome - No Change

I switched the default browser to Edge - Opened Firefox, then opened page in Edge

I reset the defaults to Microsoft recommended, and then changed it back to Chrome - Success!!

So, it seems it is not enough to change the default browser to Edge and back, but to reset the defaults and then back to Chrome.

Thanks!
    Scott

(Can someone fix my typo in the title of the thread? Ugh.)

• This certainly looks like an interaction between Microsoft Edge and the system itself. I can't reproduce it on my Surface Pro 2. Odd.
    Thanks for sharing your solution @PirateTayls!

P.S.: Fixed the typo. You're welcome ;)

• choochoosole
    choochoosole
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try and let you know if it works

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! Please let us know what you find! :)

• choochoosole
    choochoosole
    Community Member
    Options

It works fine now. I updated windows and uninstalled chrome and Firefox and haven't seen the problem since. Probably a glitch with the way windows 10 handles links and browsers. Seems to be a lot of those in windows 10.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming! That's good(ish) news. At least it's not affecting you any longer.

I wonder if this may be related to a lot of settings getting mixed up in Windows 10. I had a bunch 'reset' on me (including my browser setting), and I know others have been surprised by changes to network configuration, etc. :unamused:

• Yep, same here. Each update has reset my settings for network and browsers. It even reinstalled "Get Office" apps, reset my default apps for PDF/IMG back to the Microsoft apps instead of the apps I'm using for these. I'm not sure I like the idea of Microsoft thinking they know better than I do about how to use my computer.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:scream:

Granted, I haven't had trouble to the extent that Mike and others seem to have, but I do hope that Microsoft can make the update process less, ah...authoritarian in the future. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.