Mac app store will not update my app, I also have an earlier ipassword bought from your site.

Options
vanessavon
vanessavon
Community Member

I have bought 1password from Agilebits for years, even gave some as presents. However to have all my apps in one place, I bought the app from the app store too, which is the one that I a using now. I have tried to dl the latest update, but the app store won't let me. It seems that the Apple store is having problems. So I am wondering if I can use instead the one bought earlier from you and replace it safely without losing info?

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: El Capitan 10.11.2
Sync Type: icloud and dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Mac app store will not update my app, I also have an earlier ipassword bought at your site

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @vanessavon,

It is possible to move from the Mac App Store version to the AgileBits Store version although it would mean the inability to use iCloud Sync due to the Apple store restrictions. Given you've used both versions in the past though we would want to make sure we reduce any possibility of confusion.

If it is correct to say that your vault (or vaults) are all correctly visible when currently viewed from the Mac App Store version of 1Password then to ensure old data doesn't jump out of somewhere and yell "surprise!" I would recommend following our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide but only for the AgileBits Store version of 1Password. You definitely don't want to touch and of the support files for Mac App Store. You may find no files there at all it's only if you've run both versions on the copy of OS X.

If you launch a copy of the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac it will see you're licensed to run 1Password for Mac (Mac App Store) and if it doesn't have a vault it will import your Mac App Store vault as it is.

Something to try with the Mac App Store version before you proceed though. Have you tried deleting the 1Password application and instead of having the App Store fail to download an update try and get it to download an entirely new copy?

Even if that doesn't work you will have the AgileBits Store version to fall back on. You will have to set up things like sync again as those kind of details are migrated over but after that you shouldn't be able to tell the difference (except the no iCloud Sync problem).

Please do let us know how you get along and if you need any further assistance in resolving any of this.

• vanessavon
    vanessavon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the prompt reply, as it seems I have already two versions installed. They one that I am using seems to be working perfectly, however, I have no idea if this is the one that I bought from you or if it is the one from the apple store. (screenshot enclosed). If possible, I would like to send you other screenshots, which will include my lic and therefore I do not want to share them in the forum. Could you please send me an email so that I can enclose the screenshots with my lic? This way I don´t have to download a new one.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @vanessavon.

The screenshot didn't come through, but we already have access to your license in our system. So there is no need to send it to us. :)

All you would need to do is open the version of 1Password that you say is working perfectly. Then check which version it is like this. You can click the "Copy to Clipboard" button and paste what it says in your reply.

• vanessavon
    vanessavon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks again - here it is:
    1Password 5
    Version 5.4.1 (541003)
    Agile Web Store

Great that you have my licence info, gives me some peace of mind :)

However, either due to not been able to update or because I now seem to have two versions installed from who knows where or both... I truly am terrified to lose all the data in my 1password. I just checked my ipad version and although it is supposed to be syncing with icloud, it's not.

In my app folder, one of the 1passwords has almost 4 GB of data, the other only 56MB. I am not completely computer illiterate, so I do understand that the 60MB has no data in it. The question (or one of them) can I delete safely the one with 56MB without somehow taking a chance to damage the one that has the data?

Another problem is that the one that I bought from the Apple store keeps trying to update itself and when clicked on the update, it tells me that it cannot be updated due to bla, bla, bla... I have read that I am not the only one having this problem.

In order to stop having my computer trying to update the app, I would like to take the Apple version away from my online application folder, but if I do - once again.. would it damage the one that is working?

So confusing and scary! I have way too much info on 1password to lose it and at this point, I am not even sure if it is backing up somewhere or not. It was supposed to be backing up to icloud however, yesterday I also backed it up to Dropbox...just in case..

I have had to reinstall many of my apps due to "damage" issues, which is a hassle and time consuming. So far they all have been instal without a problem except for 1password which as mentioned before, will not update.

I managed to rescue licenses for some of the "damaged" apps that were not bought from Apple, thanks to 1password, which is why I have used and recommended 1password to my clients for years. In order to recommend apps to my clients, I buy many apps to test and I am sure that soon enough I will be asked what is going on. Any idea why the Apple store seems to be having so many problems?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @vanessavon,

Well you'll be surprised to discover that 57.5MB is actually the more reasonable size of the two and is the working copy. I really don't know what has happened to the Mac App Store version but something has gone very, very wrong.

The second error message looks like one people were seeing in the 'blip' that the Mac App Store had about a month ago after an expired certificate caused all sorts of havoc. The first is hard to guess at because the message is so vague.

It also means you definitely don't want to follow the steps I suggested given your vault seems to already be in the AgileBits Store version - removing the AgileBits Store support files would not lead to a happy place.

I would leave the 1Password 5.app alone and instead see what happens if you try the following.

1. Drag the 1Password.app to your Trash.
    2. Restart the Mac.
    3. Download a fresh copy of 1Password by going to the Purchased tab in the Ap Store and downloading from there.

Does this work or does the App Store report errors in this?

None of this will touch the AgileBits Store version or its vault so it can be safely done. In fact as long as you don't use an app cleaner removing the application bundle will never harm the actual vault. Ideally though we do want to move you back to the Mac App Store version if you prefer to sync to your iPad via iCloud as syncing won't have been happening for as long as you've been using the AgileBits Store version.

So I agree with your thinking on the next troubleshooting step (deletion of the messed up Mac App Store copy of 1Password) and seeing if we can get the App Store to play ball and download a clean copy.

• vanessavon
    vanessavon
    Community Member
    Options

OMG!!! Now I am really confused. So if I understand you correctly, the 57.5 MB is the working version. So....what the hell does the 3.69 GB has in it? I am so scared! 8-) I mean, hello 3,69 GB of data its a good amount of....whatever the hell is in it.

I thought that if the smaller one was deleted it would be no "big deal", but now I´m not sure if I want to take the chance of deleting 3.69 GB of...??

I understand that you might not have the answer and that deleting or trashing the app, might not touch the 3.69Gb. However, do I dare to trash it, really?? Yesterday I started backing up to dropbox...which I assume should work ok, or??

My apologies, but I already lost once all my data due to a "lemon" Macbook Pro. Not really looking forward to losing all my data again. Hence my paranoia and repeating your instructions.

By any chance do you know how I can find out what does the 3.69GB contains? I have apps like Daisy disk & WhatSize but I don't think they can look inside 1password, they can only tell me the size... Sorry for the hystericals, however after reinstalling around 20 app and having problems with one of my fav (1pasword) I am not happy!

Thanks again!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vanessavon,

It's a very good question, what on earth is taking up the 3.7GB of space where a real copy would only use less than 0.1GB.

You mention WhatSize which I'd almost forgotten I also have. It seems it can display the contents of an app and here is what my copy of 1Password (Mac App Store) looks like.

I would use it as a rough guide as for reasons I've not had time to explore yet these sizes don't tally with OS X and it's reporting a size approximately 40% smaller. With a little luck you will find a smoking gun. I suspect it's related to the App Store and that there are multiple damaged copies just stacking up on each other.

If you're worried about trashing it do you have an external drive that you could move it to and then disconnect the drive? That would have the same effect as moving it to the Trash.

When it comes to 1Password what is really important though are the support files. Here is where the two copies store theirs.

• AgileBits Store version: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    • Mac App Store version: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/

Now neither location is touched if all you're doing is deleting a copy of the application. Heck some days I lose track of how often I might delete the application or move it in the name of troubleshooting. If you're concerned at all though you can copy those folders somewhere safe to help ease your concerns that your vault cannot be harmed.

A defective computer will put you on edge, especially given the importance of a vault so I do understand.

This discussion has been closed.