Leopard Support for 1Password

I need support of Leopard to be continued
To Agile Support and Management:
I have spent a couple of days analysing the various products on the market for pwd management and it looks like your product is perfect for my purposes.
- Import CSV
- Browser Support
- Mac OSX, iPad and iPhone IOS 4
- Dropbox Support

However:
I just downloaded the latest version and found that Agile announced to discontinue the support of Leopard - this would kick it out many potential users incl. me (is it really that hard to run it thru a compiler and build for Leopard or even Tiger.
So, before I start to invest work in trying out and later purchasing your product (I am willing to invest for Mac/iphone and iPad - which is > 50 Bucks...) a crystal clear question:

Are you going to continue to support Leopard for lets say at least a year or 2?

best Regards,

Comments

• NovaScotian
    NovaScotian
    Community Member
    edited April 2011
    If you look at Agile's download web page you'll see that versions 3.5.9 for Leopard (which I'm using on my old G5, but await .6 on my MBP laptop) and even a Tiger version are still available. The key issue is that continuing improvements in 1Password as it becomes version 3.6 (now in beta) don't obsolete the earlier versions.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Bernhard! Thanks for considering 1Password!

As NovaScotian mentioned, Leopard will continue to be supported by version 3.5.9 (and Tiger by 2.12.1). We have made the Tiger version available for over a year now, and I hope our track record there will speak for itself with regard to what you can expect for Leopard. Some users run the Tiger version on an older machine while running the very latest version of 1Password in Snow Leopard on their primary machine(s). A 1Password 3 for Mac license entitles you to run all 1Password versions on as many Macs as you can possibly afford as long as you are the only user.

I also want to point out that while further development will not be occurring for 1Password running in Leopard, technical support and customer service will continue to be provided for all 1Password users regardless of what version is in use. This has always been the case and will continue to be so.

(is it really that hard to run it thru a compiler and build for Leopard or even Tiger.

I won't speak for the developers, but I can assure you it is not that simple. :-) If it was, we would certainly continue building for Leopard and Tiger. ;-)

There are API changes, legacy architectures, and much more to consider. Any time spent on legacy development is, unfortunately, at the expense of moving forward where the vast majority of our customers want us to go. There are still only 24 hours in a day, and we have been trying our best to accommodate old versions of Mac OS X. However, we really need to focus on Lion support or we will have much larger problems if we don't. :-D

I am sorry if I couldn't give you the answer you were looking for, but I really hope you understand the reasons for our movement forward. You are welcome to use (and receive full support for) 1Password 3.5.9 as long as you like, though!

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

We are always here to help!
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    khad wrote:

I also want to point out that while further development will not be occurring for 1Password running in Leopard, technical support and customer service will continue to be provided for all 1Password users regardless of what version is in use.

Will that support include or exclude any security-related updates? I'm thinking about how Apple stops development for older versions of OS X while continuing to release security updates for a certain period of time, e.g. the recent Update 2011-002 covers 10.5.8.

Maybe that can be clarified in a blog post and/or on the Legacy Versions of 1Password page before/when 3.6 is out of beta?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Good point, sjk. I will bring this up with the rest of the team and see if we can clarify this a bit more in the documentation or a blog post.
  • khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Bernhard! Thanks for considering 1Password!

As NovaScotian mentioned, Leopard will continue to be supported by version 3.5.9 (and Tiger by 2.12.1). We have made the Tiger version available for over a year now, and I hope our track record there will speak for itself with regard to what you can expect for Leopard. Some users run the Tiger version on an older machine while running the very latest version of 1Password in Snow Leopard on their primary machine(s). A 1Password 3 for Mac license entitles you to run all 1Password versions on as many Macs as you can possibly afford as long as you are the only user.

I also want to point out that while further development will not be occurring for 1Password running in Leopard, technical support and customer service will continue to be provided for all 1Password users regardless of what version is in use. This has always been the case and will continue to be so.

I won't speak for the developers, but I can assure you it is not that simple. :-) If it was, we would certainly continue building for Leopard and Tiger. ;-)

There are API changes, legacy architectures, and much more to consider. Any time spent on legacy development is, unfortunately, at the expense of moving forward where the vast majority of our customers want us to go. There are still only 24 hours in a day, and we have been trying our best to accommodate old versions of Mac OS X. However, we really need to focus on Lion support or we will have much larger problems if we don't. :-D

I am sorry if I couldn't give you the answer you were looking for, but I really hope you understand the reasons for our movement forward. You are welcome to use (and receive full support for) 1Password 3.5.9 as long as you like, though!

We are always here to help!

Hi Khad,
    thanks for the quick answer. That all sounds ok to me, so there is going to be support but only for the "old" version 3.5.9. There will be no functional improvements to that version. I can live with that, I may have to get a new machine anyway sometime in the near future (the problem with those Macs is that you can use them a lot longer than any PC/Laptop).
    I am going to try your product - if you dont hear from me again you have a Happy Customer - if you hear from me I may have more questions...
    Greetings from Germany
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for understanding, Bernhard! :-)

We love hearing from our customers and are available to answer to your questions, resolve issues, or just say hello. Here are some other ways you can find us!

Support:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/support

Blog:
    http://blog.agilewebsolutions.com/

Facebook:
    http://facebook.com/1Password

Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/1Password
This discussion has been closed.