I have a license from the app store but cannot make secure notes on my mac.

Options

I believe I originally bought my license through the website for the mac computer version. Later I downloaded an ipad version and an android version for my phone. Now, when I try to create a secure note, I get the message "please register". When I enter my email on the retrieve license page, it says my license will be emailed, but nothing yet after 30+ minutes. The app store lists the app as paid for, and I tried to re-download, but it is a version too new for my computer. Basically, I'm stuck and cannot use the secure notes unless I can get the license.

1Password Version: 3.8.19
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:mac-app-store-vs-agilebits-store, kb:lost-license, kb-search:notes, kb:pro-features-faq, kb:purchase-verification

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Groverstudio,

Can I just confirm that when you say the app store lists the app as paid for are you referring to the Mac App Store, which lists Mac apps or are you referring to the App Store app that exists on every iOS device and lists iOS apps?

The reason I ask is our licences are per platform so a purchase of 1Password 4 for iOS or the in-app purchase as it exists in 1Password 5/6 for iOS wouldn't cover you for 1Password for Mac. I only state this as we do know that our licensing has confused some people in the past.

Now if you know for certain that you've purchased 1Password for Mac there are two possibilities.

1. You purchased directly from us on our AgileBits Store.
    2. You purchased via Apple's Mac App Store.

If your purchase was from Apple's Mac App Store then that would explain why you don't have a licence as Mac App Store purchases are tied to your Apple ID rather than you having a licence with us. In fact Apple tell us no details about our users when they purchase via Apple. The first we're ever aware of our Mac App Store customers is when they contact us for the first time. If this is the case we look to moving you from the AgileBits Store version of 1Password that you downloaded to the copy available in the Mac App Store. This would remove the licence issue.

If you purchased directly from our AgileBits Store then I can only assume it was using another email address than the one you're using in our forums. The best way to resolve this would be as follows.

Email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com, linking to this thread (so we understand the nature of the enquiry) and can you supply the following details as best you can.

1. Your full name as you would have entered it at the time of purchase.
    2. If possible your physical address as you would have entered it at the time of purchase.
    3. Any email addresses you might have used. List all the ones you own as we'll happily check them all if that's what it takes to locate your licence.

So we'll wait to hear back from you and proceed from there :smile:

• Groverstudio
    Groverstudio
    Community Member
    Options

The license is for the mac version...or should be. When I click update in the Mac App store, nothing happens. The android and iOs versions are not licensed perhaps? I don't remember buying licenses for those, since I thought they just extended the password access to those devices via the dropbox link. So I guess we need to move the license from the app store to you so my license is back to valid. I have over 250 logins and other identity bits saved, so I know that at some point the license let me do what I needed to do!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @Groverstudio,

There are two routes available to you.

1. You could email us at support+licenses@agilebits.com from the email address you use with Apple and attach your Apple receipt for 1Password for Mac. We could then help you licence the AgileBits Store version on your Mac. We would need the receipt though as Apple do not inform us of any purchase.
    2. We help you transition back to the Mac App Store version of 1Password. The easiest route would be to remove every copy of the 1Password application from your Mac. The support files would be left in place, we're just referring to the application bundle. Reboot your Mac for good measure. You should find that the entry for 1Password in the Purchased tab has a download button and when you click it it should say you can't run 1Password 5 for Mac but it should offer to download the last compatible version which for OS X 10.0 AKA Mavericks is 1Password 4 for Windows. If the support files for the Mac App Store version are not present 1Password should look and find your Agile Keychain in Dropbox. You would be asked for your Master Password and once unlocked everything should be as it ought to be. The Mac App Store version doesn't require a licence so there would be no licence expired message. If you have been in the unusual position of having run both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store version of 1Password then we may need to clear things up a bit. As your Agile Keychain is in Dropbox following our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide for the Mac App Store version would cause 1Password to behave as if it hasn't been run before and find the Agile Keychain in Dropbox.

I suspect you have purchased a licence for 1Password for Android as I believe after 30 days it reverts to read-only. 1Password for iOS, depending on the version you are running, was either purchased prior to downloading or is one of the newer versions using our freemium model. Either way you can't get any nasty shocks from any expired trial as neither platform allows for the same confusion. The confusion on Mac is the fact that we sell 1Password for Mac in two stores that cannot communicate with each other.

Please do keep us informed as to your progress if you decide to go down the route of getting the Mac App Store version working again.

• Groverstudio
    Groverstudio
    Community Member
    Options

1 I cannot find my original receipt from Apple for 1 Password. #2, the app store finally did an update so I can use secure notes again, so that is very good. #3, I have found the app to be much less useful on the android and ipad versions because so many apps within the platforms have no access to 1Password. The sequence of having to quit the app, go to 1password and log in, find the password, copy the password, return to the orginal app to paste it in is too painful so I just don't do it. I tried using a 1Password keyboard but it did not paste the results or even seem to have access to the passwords, and it did not pre-fill common words as I prefer in text and email, so I ditched that. I will use it in desperate cases, but it is a pretty big hurdle currently. Glad it is working on the Mac however, since that is where I use it most.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Groverstudio: That's good to hear! Unfortunately it isn't possible for iOS apps to directly integrate with each other, but of course that's why we offer a 1Password extension for iOS. It just isn't something we can build into other apps ourselves. Their developers will need to add support for it. Otherwise it is necessary to copy and paste.

However, we have a website devoted to the 1Password extension for developers, so be sure to let them know you'd like them to add support for it and point them in our direction. We're always happy to help them join the ranks of apps that support the 1Password iOS extension! Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.