I can't categorize entries and add tags

gz_ch
gz_ch
Community Member

I just started to use 1password both on Mac and Win. I imported 100 logins and I can't categorize them or add tags. For instance, under the categories there are "logins" "secure notes" "Credit Cards" etc. Now I want to add 1 more category between them and move some imported entries to this new custom category. Or can you tell me how to filter them? Thanks.

1Password Version: 4.60
Extension Version: 4.60.592
OS Version: windows 7
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:pro features

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gz_ch: It isn't possible to create custom categories, or change the category of an existing item. If you've changed your mind about the category, you'll need to create a new item in the category you want and copy the data over.

You can, however, add tags to items in both 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows by editing the item details.

I'm not what you mean about filtering though. Could you give me an example of what you're trying to do? Thanks in advance! :)

• gz_ch
    gz_ch
    Community Member

@brenty I like the MAC layout, the windows version doesn't have tags view on left panel. I can add tags both on Mac and Windows, but in windows I can't choose specific tag in 1password to filter those logins and accounts.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

Ah, indeed! 'One' thing we'll be addressing as we develop 1Password going forward is consistency across platforms. We have a lot of work to do there, but it will help everyone feel more at home and use 1Password more comfortably no matter which device they have at the moment. Thanks for letting us know that tags in particular are something you'd like us to improve! :)

That said, while tags aren't (yet) a 'first class citizen' in the 1Password for Windows sidebar, you can search for a tag in the Search box by typing tag:name, or by pressing Alt ↓. I hope this helps in the mean time! :pirate:

• gz_ch
    gz_ch
    Community Member

@brenty Alt ↓ is really useful, but Windows version can't auto fill tags when I add new login. I add networking tag in Mac, and when I use Win version I add Networking tag. And then, I found 2 tags in Mac version(networking and Networking, so it's case sensitive). Mac's auto fill function is really sweet, when I type "net" it will auto fill the "networking" tag.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gz_ch: I guess it's really a matter of preference since, personally, I find the autocomplete gets in the way for me most of the time — especially when I can drag an item to the sidebar to add it to an existing tag in 1Password for Mac. We're looking into ways to improve tags in general, across all platforms. Thanks for letting us know how you'd like to use it! :)

• gz_ch
    gz_ch
    Community Member

@brenty The auto complete of tags function works great under MAC, but Windows version doesn't seem support this, so it will mass the tags during I use windows. Sometimes I don't exactly remember what tags did I named.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@gz_ch, we are always working to improve things. :)

For now, perhaps you could do the bulk tagging on your Mac while you are setting up the initial tags.

• gz_ch
    gz_ch
    Community Member

@khad Yea, now I prefer to use MAC 1P. The batch add tags and tags view on the left panel and tag auto complete are awesome. I hope windows version can have these too. One more thing, the Mac version can change software layout(change panel left or top) which win version doesn't have too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

One more thing, the Mac version can change software layout(change panel left or top) which win version doesn't have too.

@gz_ch: Ah, yes. The 'shelf' layout (similar to Miller columns) is particular to the Mac, but thanks for letting us know you'd like this view on Windows as well! :)

• gz_ch
    gz_ch
    Community Member

@brenty I need to use both OS almost everyday, so I want to keep the same habit between both versions. :chuffed:

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Totally understandable. As Brenty mentioned earlier:

One thing we'll be addressing as we develop 1Password going forward is consistency across platforms. We have a lot of work to do there, but it will help everyone feel more at home and use 1Password more comfortably no matter which device they have at the moment.

We appreciate the encouragement in this direction! :)

This discussion has been closed.