Make Chrome UI like Safari and Firefox UI - please!

Different is good if it is better - but not when it is worse!
Why is the 1Password UI in Chrome so different from the UI in Firefox and Safari?

I frequently have to use multiple browsers, and having 1Password look so different in Chrome is jarring. Additionally, some of the Chrome UI choices seem really sub-optimal, especially compared to the simpler UI in the other browsers - for instance, if you have a long item name, 1Password Chrome cuts it off! In other browsers you can see the entire name, no matter how long it is.

So, can we please have the option to have the 1Password UI be consistent across ALL browsers?

Comments

• I was just coming to the forums to ask that you make the Firefox UI look like the Chrome UI. UI preferences are indeed varied.
  • coopr
    coopr
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

However, going forward, this new interface is the direction we're heading, though we're happy to hear feedback on how we can improve it.

I'm not sure how all the "eye candy" in this UI helps - for instance, when I unlock my file, why do I have to wait for the little lock to turn, then the cover to slide across? These types of UI "flourishes" were cool the first few times I saw them - now they just annoy me because they make me wait, for no good reason.

Similarly, why is the font size for the list of logins so huge? I have some long lists for some sites (Google, in particular) and having to scroll way down the list just to see my option, rather than having the list display in a more compact format that let's me see all my options at once, is again annoying. It seems like you are putting form ahead of function.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Please also consider that the "flourish" of the unlock animation really isn't slowing anything down. The PBKDF2 key strengthening that 1Password uses means that it really does take more than an imperceptible amount of time unlock. There is a noticeable delay. The animation helps show that something is happening rather than just sitting there doing nothing until the unlock is complete. ;-)
  • Tommy R
    Tommy R
    Community Member
    Agree with topic. I would love to use Chrome but since I rely so much upon 1Password and the plugin cuts off the password topic (too long), it's unusable.
    I have to use Safari, which is Ok, but I would very much prefer Chrome.
    I can't understand why you have so different UIs.
    The UI in Safari is excellent, quick and to the point. Just right click and you get the login.
    Some of the sites I visit in Chrome doesn't offer me the password (probably javascript problems), but in Safari they work.

Please!! ...change the plugin so that it mimics Safaris, or at LEAST don't cut the password headline so I can read what it is.
    I have got loooooots of passwords, and have to make long names, which works beautifully in Safari.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!
  • Hello Tommy!

Out of curiosity, which versions of OS X, 1Password, Chrome and Safari are you running?

Also, thanks for the kind words regarding 1P!

Cheers!

Brandt
  • stu wrote:

Hi coopr,

I'm sorry to hear you're not a fan of the new UI for our Chrome extension, we've had some great feedback about this and we're quite fond of it ourselves.

The main reason for the difference is that there are a number of limitations with the Chrome extensions API that mean that we couldn't use the same interface we have in the current Safari and Firefox extensions, which are using older frameworks that aren't using the native extensions framework of either browser.

I'll certainly agree that cutting off the name of a login is not good, and so I'll see what we can do. However, going forward, this new interface is the direction we're heading, though we're happy to hear feedback on how we can improve it.

Hope that helps,

Glad to hear it! I've been switching between Chrome and Firefox lately, and I really enjoy the UI in the Chrome plugin. I've been hoping to see it ported over to FF at some point in the future.

thx!
This discussion has been closed.