How do I merge 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 on my Mac?

I have both 1Password 3 and 1Password 5 on my Mac that runs Yosemite. I want to merge all of the data into 1Password5 and delete iPassword 3. How do I do that?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:move 1Password3 information to 1Password5

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nprou: Do you mean you've set up separate vaults for 1Password 3 and 1Password 5? If so, the simplest way to merge the two would be to add the 1Password 3 vault to 1Password 5:

1. Open 1Password 3 and find the location of your vault in Preferences > General
    2. Quit 1Password 3 and drag it to the Trash
    3. Restart the Mac and open 1Password 5
    4. Open Finder, navigate to the location of your 1Password 3 vault, and double-click it
    5. Add the vault to 1Password 5
    6. Select all of your items in the vault you just added (⌘ A)
    7. Right-click, go to Share, select your original 1Password 5 vault (probably your primary), and choose Move
    8. Open the 1Password menu and Delete the vault, keeping only the original 1Password 5 vault which now has all of your data

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• nprou
    nprou
    Community Member

Oh, my gosh, thank you SO much for the help. It will be my first activity of tomorrow, and I promise to let you know if I'm successful. I've been operating with two separate apps, and it's finally driven me crazy enough to want to resolve it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

You're totally welcome! That would drive me crazy too. Please do let me know how it goes. We're here for you if you need anything else. :chuffed:

• nprou
    nprou
    Community Member

I did steps 1, 2, and 3. The vault seems to be in library, app support, 1password, 1password agilekeychain, but I can't get there. I even put it into spotlight and I can't find it. And of course I put iPassword 3 in my Trash, but now I can't even find that when I click on Trash. And I did NOT empty my trash.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @nprou,

In later versions of OS X Apple decided that the average user shouldn't be playing about in their Library folder so they hid it. Of course it makes it a bit harder for legitimate reasons for accessing but it isn't impossible.

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to Folder... window.
    3. Paste in the following path ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ and click the Go button.
    4. You should find the 1Password.agilekeychain is now visible.

Does that help with step 4.?

• nprou
    nprou
    Community Member

The UP Arrow that is part of the first shortcut: is that the key that's under the shift key? When I press on that and the two others all I get is the cursor highlighting some random line in the Finder window. There's no Go To Folder appearing. Did I press something incorrectly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nprou: Nope, sorry! I guess that is a bit confusing, but it's the icon Apple uses for in OS X for the Shift key. = Shift, = Option/Alt, and = Control. You can find this menu item listed in Finder > Go > Go to Folder using the mouse as well. I hope this helps! :)

• nprou
    nprou
    Community Member

OK, we are getting closer! I was able to put the 1Password3 vault into 1Password 5. That's a major step. However, they went in and combined with what else was already there, and I don't see a way of differentiating between what was there and what I just added.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nprou: If you sort the items in your vault by "Date Modified" (click beneath the Search box), does that help? What in particular are you looking for?

• nprou
    nprou
    Community Member

I was trying to do #6 in the instructions you originally sent me so I could complete the tasks. So I am trying to
    Select all of your items in the vault you just added (⌘ A). And I can't find them.

All would be well (I THINK) if I could figure out how to delete my "primary vault" and make my secondary vault, COMMAND 2, my primary one. Or is that a dangerous effort.

1. Open 1Password 3 and find the location of your vault in Preferences > General
    2. Quit 1Password 3 and drag it to the Trash
    3. Restart the Mac and open 1Password 5
    4. Open Finder, navigate to the location of your 1Password 3 vault, and double-click it
    5. Add the vault to 1Password 5
    6. Select all of your items in the vault you just added (⌘ A)
    7. Right-click, go to Share, select your original 1Password 5 vault (probably your primary), and choose Move
    8. Open the 1Password menu and Delete the vault, keeping only the original 1Password 5 vault which now has all of your data
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2015

Hello @nprou,

Sorry any confusion I caused by not detailing the modifier keys. It's easy to become so used to the symbols that you can forget not everybody may recognise them.

So briefly going back to your post on the 20th where you said

However, they went in and combined with what else was already there, and I don't see a way of differentiating between what was there and what I just added.

I am a little confused. If you double clicked on the Agile Keychain did you get asked to create a new vault in 1Password 5? That's the expected behaviour and if that happened then this new secondary vault, the one you use ⌘2 to reach should only contain the items that were in your 1Password 3 Agile Keychain.

Now if you're positive that there is a copy of everything you care about in your current secondary vault and that if there is something in your primary one that it is just a duplicate of what is in your secondary then we can list some steps that would allow you to start over using the contents of the secondary vault. The steps would look something like this.

1. Open 1Password 5 for Mac and enter 1Password's preferences.
    2. Switch to the Sync tab and select your secondary vault from the list on the left hand side.
    3. Confirm that 1Password says you are syncing the secondary vault and note the location. It should be the same as the Agile Keychain we've been referring to all along.
    4. Follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide. Where it says you need to follow certain steps depending on what version you're running you want to follow those for the AgileBits Store version. Please note all the steps are important i.e. ensuring 1Password mini isn't running and rebooting the Mac to ensure caching doesn't cause chaos.

When you next start up 1Password I would expect 1Password to show a screen that looks a little like this

Please note the bit I've underlined. This is clickable and if you do so you should see a small menu that looks a bit like this

This would allow you to confirm if 1Password has found the correct Agile Keychain or worst case scenario allow you to pick a different one.

If this all feels just a bit too daunting at all please do say and we'll take another approach. One way or another though we'll get you there! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.