Paypal popup not recognized when buying from Ebay

I've just bought something from Ebay, and now instead of redirecting you to Paypal, it pops up a window for you to enter your Paypal login. The browser plugin for 1Password doesn't recognize this, and still displays the Ebay login. This happens both in Chrome and Firefox on OS X

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.5.0.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @juliant,

As you can imagine, given this stage of the process is only available after a purchase has been made it makes it sightly tricker to reach. So I'm wondering if you can help us a little here. When you say eBay pops up a window for you to enter your PayPal credentials are you referring to a full blown browser window or is eBay simply showing you a PayPal login form on the eBay page, like how 3D Secure or Verified by Visa works? This would be in contrast to the old style where you are redirected to PayPal's website and the site used parameters to inform PayPal what was required.

Our filling is based on the URL in the tab so if eBay are now using an IFrame to display the PayPal Login item that would (I believe) complicate matters. Sadly I can't think of a similar instance I can use to test at the moment.

• juliant
    juliant
    Community Member

Yes, it is more awkward to report, because I'm not going to buy something else just to trigger the behavior ;-)

The Paypal login is displayed over the Ebay as a modal dialog, so I guess 1Password thinks it is still on the Ebay page.

Thanks,

jt

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @juliant,

I don't blame you. In re-reading my response I'm realising it maybe isn't clear that I my questions were intended to be based on your memory of the event as you're right, asking you to purchase something is most definitely an ask too far. We need to find somebody about to make a purchase and willing to observe what happens.

or maybe not. I've found this page on PayPal's website that talks about their Enabling the In-Context Checkout Experience and they have a linked demo page. If you try visiting the demo and clicking on one of the test PayPal buttons it will pop up an actual browser window, does this look like how it was on eBay?

• juliant
    juliant
    Community Member

Sort of... it was a similar popup asking for my Paypal login, but this one is a regular-looking OS X window, whereas the Ebay one was definitely a JavaScript dialog.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @juliant,

In a word... nuts. If it is a JavaScript dialog then it would be enclosed inside the eBay page and yeah, we can't tell that the PayPal Login item should be used here.

If I was intending to purchase something from eBay this is would I would try.

I would edit my PayPal Login item so that it contains an extra website field for eBay and then I would alter the submit option from it's default setting of Submit when enabled to Never submit. When the JavaScript dialog pops up I would see what happen if I try submitting using my PayPal item.

Now if that sounds a bit risky at all just don't bother trying it because I genuinely don't know what will happen. If being part of AgileBits has changed me at all it's caused to me become a bit more adventurous playing with the program's behaviour - like above for example. You may simply prefer to go with the safer option of copying and pasting.

Personally I'm not a fan of these dialogs and the 3D Secure and Verified by Visa do something similar. For some reason I'm meant to assume the little window I'm looking at is genuine because? Nope, not a fan at all.

This discussion has been closed.