My newly changed master password does not work on OS10.9 anymore.

sbroth
sbroth
Community Member

I am using 10.9 and do not want to change to 10.10. Therefore I can't use 1Password5. I am still using 1Password4. I recently changed the master password. It worked fine on all my devices at first (Windows 7, Android). But suddenly, it stopped working on my Mac.

1Password Version: 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.9.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:My newly changed master password does not work on OS10.9 anymore. It did at first. ?.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sbroth: Where did you change your Master Password? On the Mac? Are you able to unlock 1Password on any devices? If so, are you able to use the new one, or the old one? Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member

I changed my Master Password on my PC (Windows 7). The new password works on all devices (the PC, my androids) except the Mac.

The password does include an "&". Even though that is a permissible symbol, I am going to try to change to a "+" to see if that helps. I'll let you know if it works, but I have low expectations. Any other thoughts?

Sid

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member

As presumed, changing the "&" to a "+" did not help.

Sid

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbroth,

I'm sorry your master password is causing a bit of trouble! You're correct that & and + are both fine to use in a master password and shouldn't cause any issues, as explained in this knowledgebase article.

Does the old master password work on your Mac? If so, and assuming Dropbox sync is working correctly otherwise, you'll need to unlock 1Password for Mac with the old master password, allow Dropbox sync to complete, lock 1Password, and then you should be able to unlock it with the new master password. Does that work?

If not, can you confirm if you're able to unlock 1Password on your Mac using either of the previous master passwords? And if you can unlock it, try adding a new item (like a new Secure Note or Login item). Does that new item sync to 1Password on your other devices? If not, this might be a syncing problem in general. Let us know how it all goes, thanks!

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member

The new password works on all devices except the Mac. The old password used to work on all devices until I changed it. Now the old password, thankfully, does not work on any device, including the Mac. The new password worked on the Mac for a few hours, but then quit working.
    Dropbox is working fine on all devices including the Mac. I added a secure note into 1Password4 and it transferred to all devices. Of course, I don't know if that is true for the Mac since I couldn't open 1Password4 in the Mac. I then deleted the note and the deletion was reflected by all available devices.
    I sure hope you can figure this out. I appreciate the effort.

Sid

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member

When things started to go south on my Mac, I backed up both the Mac version of 1Password4 and the PC version. I think they were identical except for the master password problem. Would it be possible to import the PC version to the Mac? Would it help?

Sid

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbroth,

Thanks for confirming that! It's very strange that the new master password would have worked for only a few hours on your Mac. In case you haven't already seen the following knowledgebase article, it might help to take a look at the suggestions here: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

If those suggestions don't help, is it possible you have both the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions of 1Password installed on your Mac? The reason I ask is because each one keeps a separate database on your Mac, so it's possible one was updated with the new master password but the other one wasn't. If you're trying to unlock the one that didn't get updated with the new master password, that would explain the problem. Try checking the Applications folder to see if you have an app named 1Password 4.app (the AgileBits Store version) as well as an app named 1Password.app (the Mac App Store version).

If you only have one version of 1Password on your Mac, your idea is definitely worth trying:

Would it be possible to import the PC version to the Mac? Would it help?

If you have all your latest data in 1Password for Windows and won't be losing anything by resetting 1Password on your Mac, you can follow the steps here: How do I start over with an empty vault?

After that, the next time you open 1Password on your Mac, it should be like the first time, and you should be able to choose to sync your vault from Dropbox (which should be using the new master password).

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• sbroth
    sbroth
    Community Member

That worked. Is it OK to delete the files you had me put on the desktop?
    Sorry that it took so long to get back to you, but my wife had a project going so I couldn't restart the computer.
    Thanks. I really do feel supported.

Sid

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@sbroth so long as you're happy everything is working properly now it's perfectly O.K. to delete the old files from the desktop.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sbroth,

I'm glad to hear that worked! Stephen is correct - as long as it's all working correctly now, you can go ahead and delete the files you moved to the Desktop.

We're always happy to help, so just let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.