first run errors and confusion

I just signed up for 1Password for Teams (1PfT?), and I've run into a couple of errors, and experienced some confusion.

After signing up and being taken to the Home page (/vaults), 1PfT displayed this "error loading vaults":

After closing that dialog, no vaults appeared on the page. But clicking "Create a Vault" took me to a page (I think it was /admin/vaults) that listed two vaults: Your Vault and Everyone.

Clicking on one of those vaults displayed an error about that vault not existing (sorry, I didn't capture the screenshot for that), although it then showed me a page about the vault, as if it did exist.

At that point, I went back to the list of vaults and created a vault. After which the Home page didn't display that error, and it showed me three vaults: the two initial vaults, and the new one that I created.

I then returned to /admin/vaults and deleted the vault I had created by pressing the "Delete Vault" button, which was straightforward, except that the dialog for deleting the vault labeled its sole button "Archive," and it wasn't clear what that means in this context. I would have assumed it means that there's a way to recover a deleted vault from some "archive" of them, except that the dialog claims, "This action is permanent."

In any case, after deleting/archiving the vault, clicking on one of the initial vaults no longer throws that error about the vault not existing. And going to the Home page no longer displays that "error loading vaults." Rather, it shows the two initial vaults. So I think I've successfully worked around the two errors I encountered.

However, the "Create a Vault" text on the Home page is no longer a link, and that confused me at first, as it made me wonder if I'm not allowed to create any more vaults, either intentionally or because of a bug. It took a minute or two for me to realize that it's because that link is part of a first run flow (Quests to Conquer) that asks you to do a series of tasks one time each, and the lack of a link is an indication that you've successfully completed that task.

FWIW, creating a vault is not something I would have wanted to do, since the two initial vaults satisfy my use case. In fact the Everyone vault by itself is enough, so not only do I not need a third, custom vault, I don't even need the "Your Vault" vault, although it doesn't seem possible to delete it.

-myk

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4.b1
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• mykmelez
    mykmelez
    Community Member

Erm, correction: after creating the third vault, "Create a Vault" was no longer a link, but after deleting the third vault, "Create a Vault" became a link again. So I apparently un-conquered that quest by deleting the vault I'd created.

• Jacob
    edited February 2016

Hey @mykmelez,

What browser and version are you using? That'll help us get an idea of why the initial issues happened.

I then returned to /admin/vaults and deleted the vault I had created by pressing the "Delete Vault" button, which was straightforward, except that the dialog for deleting the vault labeled its sole button "Archive," and it wasn't clear what that means in this context. I would have assumed it means that there's a way to recover a deleted vault from some "archive" of them, except that the dialog claims, "This action is permanent."

That could be clearer, I agree. I'll let the developers know it's something that needs to be improved for consistency and accuracy. To be clear: The action is permanent. We might at some point add a way to recover things if you deleted them, but at the moment it's permanent.

ref: b5-825

In any case, after deleting/archiving the vault, clicking on one of the initial vaults no longer throws that error about the vault not existing. And going to the Home page no longer displays that "error loading vaults." Rather, it shows the two initial vaults. So I think I've successfully worked around the two errors I encountered.

Okay that's good. :+1:

However, the "Create a Vault" text on the Home page is no longer a link, and that confused me at first, as it made me wonder if I'm not allowed to create any more vaults, either intentionally or because of a bug. It took a minute or two for me to realize that it's because that link is part of a first run flow (Quests to Conquer) that asks you to do a series of tasks one time each, and the lack of a link is an indication that you've successfully completed that task.

It makes sense that it would no longer be a link because it's action-based. Once the action is taken, the link goes away. We also add white checkmarks with green backgrounds on the left of the quest item to make it feel complete. Do you think we could make that a bit better?

FWIW, creating a vault is not something I would have wanted to do, since the two initial vaults satisfy my use case. In fact the Everyone vault by itself is enough, so not only do I not need a third, custom vault, I don't even need the "Your Vault" vault, although it doesn't seem possible to delete it.

Ah, good to know. Since 1Password for Teams is, well, for teams, we felt vault creation was a standard step in the process of a team getting things set up. I can see how it wouldn't be necessary in some cases though. Your Vault is there for personal use and will not be shared with the rest of the team members. Are you planning on using Teams as an individual rather than for a team?

• mykmelez
    mykmelez
    Community Member

What browser and version are you using? That'll help us get an idea of why the initial issues happened.

I'm using a recent build of Firefox from its Nightly channel, i.e. https://nightly.mozilla.org/.

It makes sense that it would no longer be a link because it's action-based. Once the action is taken, the link goes away. We also add white checkmarks with green backgrounds on the left of the quest item to make it feel complete. Do you think we could make that a bit better?

Hmm, I guess I didn't notice the green checkmarks, although they're super-obvious now that I look for them!

Rather than removing the link, while retaining the call to action (i.e. continuing to tell me to "Create a Vault" while preventing me from clicking on that text to do), I would replace the call to action with text that tells me that the action has been taken, i.e. something like "Vault created!".

I'd also continue to consider the action to be taken even if I subsequently delete the vault.

Ah, good to know. Since 1Password for Teams is, well, for teams, we felt vault creation was a standard step in the process of a team getting things set up. I can see how it wouldn't be necessary in some cases though. Your Vault is there for personal use and will not be shared with the rest of the team members. Are you planning on using Teams as an individual rather than for a team?

No, I'm evaluating its use with a very small team (a.k.a. me and my partner) to share confidential information in a secure fashion. Everything we'd share would be shared between the two of us, and we'd be the only two members of the team, so the "Everyone" vault would be the only one we'd need.

And I've already purchased 1Password (for Mac) for personal use, so it isn't clear why I would want to have another personal vault in 1PfT. But perhaps I just misunderstand its purpose and utility!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Hmm, I guess I didn't notice the green checkmarks, although they're super-obvious now that I look for them!
    Rather than removing the link, while retaining the call to action (i.e. continuing to tell me to "Create a Vault" while preventing me from clicking on that text to do), I would replace the call to action with text that tells me that the action has been taken, i.e. something like "Vault created!".
    I'd also continue to consider the action to be taken even if I subsequently delete the vault.

@mykmelez: Thanks so much for the feedback! We'll continue to improve this.

No, I'm evaluating its use with a very small team (a.k.a. me and my partner) to share confidential information in a secure fashion. Everything we'd share would be shared between the two of us, and we'd be the only two members of the team, so the "Everyone" vault would be the only one we'd need.

Ah, understood. 1Password for Teams is meant to be flexible enough for many shapes and sizes...so in your case you can probably just the other vault options —although you might find they come in handy in the future!

And I've already purchased 1Password (for Mac) for personal use, so it isn't clear why I would want to have another personal vault in 1PfT. But perhaps I just misunderstand its purpose and utility!

Sorry for the confusion! This is a bit awkward, since in beta we're all trying to find our own sweet spot. After all, once 1Password for Teams is "launched", most of us will either be using it, or using the "classic" version of 1Password, rather than the odd combinations of both many of us have for the time being. For example, if 1Password for Teams is a good fit for your and your partner, you'll probably end up moving the data from your old local vault, and then use 1Password for Teams only. People who start out with 1Password for Teams won't be using local vaults at all. Does that make sense? :)

• mykmelez
    mykmelez
    Community Member

For example, if 1Password for Teams is a good fit for your and your partner, you'll probably end up moving the data from your old local vault, and then use 1Password for Teams only. People who start out with 1Password for Teams won't be using local vaults at all. Does that make sense? :)

Aha, yes, that makes perfect sense, thanks! :chuffed:

• mykmelez
    mykmelez
    Community Member

Ah, understood. 1Password for Teams is meant to be flexible enough for many shapes and sizes...so in your case you can probably just the other vault options —although you might find they come in handy in the future!

Indeed, I could imagine scenarios under which we would loop in other family/friends to a subset of the information, so the "multiple vaults" feature might come in handy for us in the future, even if it isn't immediately useful.

• Let us know if you have any more questions. We're happy to help.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.