Sync multiple vaults with iCloud ?

juergb
juergb
Community Member

Why I'm not able to sync multiple vaults with iCloud ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, kb-search:icloud, kb:sync-options, kb:icloud-faq, kb:sync-options

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @juergb,

As you noticed, iCloud sync currently only works with the Primary vault. I'm sorry for any confusion about that! Secondary vaults can be synced via Dropbox or Wi-Fi. I can't make any promises about if/when iCloud sync will support secondary vaults, but I'll be happy to let our developers know you'd like to be able to do that.

If you have more questions or need anything else, we're always happy to help! :)

ref: OPM-2895

• juergb
    juergb
    Community Member

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Pro and I would like to sync multiple vaults between those two Mac's. Therefore I would appreciate very much If the next version of 1Password will support syncing multiple vaults via iCloud.
    Is there plan to support syncing multiple vaults via iCloud ?
    Regards,
    Jürg

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @juergb,

We have an existing feature request and we know some users would like this but we don't have a definitive plan to see this implemented in a specific version of 1Password for Mac. I'm not saying that it won't/can't happen. Just that we're unable to make any promises.

Originally secondary vaults were designed as a way to allow sharing of subsets of your items e.g. a family vault or similar. Given sharing of vaults in this sense is impossible and that we can't create multiple individual vaults in iCloud the ability to sync multiple vaults wasn't considered. It isn't the case that it's impossible but it will require a certain amount of work to alter how we use iCloud.

For the moment Dropbox does remain the only cloud service that will allow syncing of secondary vaults. The reason we work with Dropbox is because right from the first time of secondary vaults Dropbox had he capability to share folders between Dropbox accounts and allowed the user to store sync containers (the Agile Keychain) where they wanted inside the Dropbox file system.

So we're not saying syncing of multiple vaults with iCloud won't happen, we just can't make any promise as to when it might. It's a significant enough change on both Mac and iOS that a lot of testing would need to be done.

• rvroo
    rvroo
    Community Member
    edited January 2016

I actually also like to request the feature to sync multiple vaults with iCloud.
    In my situation, me and my girlfriend bot have a work MacBook, iPhone and iPad that we all use with our own personal 1Password vault.

However, at home we both use one iMac with one user account. I know you can switch accounts and have access to your own 1Password vault that you can sync with your own Apple ID but that is just too much of a hassle. So we'd like to sync both our vaults via iCloud on one user account.

Ideally these vaults would even be separated but it's also fine if we just at least could access our own vaults without switching accounts.

Edit: I have the MAS version at the moment, but the reason I started researching if this is already possible was the release of 1P6 which has the ability to sync with iCloud even when the app is downloaded via the AB store.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rvroo: That's something we can consider. Just keep in mind that data cannot be shared between iCloud accounts, and this is a limitation of iCloud itself, not 1Password. And you can only be logged into a single iCloud account at a time. Perhaps Apple will change that in the future. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.