Restore purchases not working with family member

Options
gav70
gav70
Community Member
edited December 2015 in iOS

I have family sharing setup in my Apple Store and cannot restore my 1password pro purchase on my wife's iphone. Please advise on a way to restore so I can share my secondary vault with her.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @gav70,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Unfortunately Family Sharing does not work with in-app purchases (for any app), including the Pro features purchase for 1Password for iOS. As such in-app purchases must be made on a per-Apple ID basis.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• alexpearce92
    alexpearce92
    Community Member
    Options

With that being said, as a pro purchaser, would I be able to contact support staff to enable pro features on the new apple id if I can demonstrate that the apple id is on my the family plan?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@alexpearce92 - Contacting Apple support about Family Sharing for in-app purchases won't do any good. As bwoodruff has already said, Apple does not allow Family Sharing for in-app purchases. It does not matter whether the other Apple IDs are in your family group. You are, of course, welcome to contact iTunes support and try.

• Ben
    Options

Unfortunately contacting either Apple support or our support team will not change the fact that in-app purchases cannot be shared via family sharing. They must be made on each Apple ID wishing to have them. We've got our fingers crossed that Apple will make this possible in the future but at present time that is the state of things.

Sorry there isn't a better solution here.

Ben

• gav70
    gav70
    Community Member
    Options

This is unacceptable. It works with other apps. I will request a refund from the Apple Store.

• Ben
    Options

I'm sorry you disagree with Apple's policy on this. When Family Sharing was first announced we too were hopeful that it would work with in-app purchases, but it does not. Sharing in-app purchases does not work with any app at this point. That simply isn't a part of Family Sharing. You can read more about this on Apple's website:

What types of content can I share with Family Sharing? - Apple Support

That said, if you'd like to request a refund from Apple you can do so here:

Report a Problem

I'm sorry there isn't a better solution for this at the moment, but unfortuantely it isn't something we have control over.

Ben

• gav70
    gav70
    Community Member
    Options

I have other apps that it works on currently. My wife gets the in app purchases made by me on her iPhone. It also explains why Anglebits will not release a full version paid app of 1Password on the App Store.

• Ben
    Options

The article that I linked above which lists in-app purchases as one of the types of content that cannot be shared is directly from Apple's website.

I apologize for the frustration, but what content Apple allows to be shared with Family Sharing is out of our hands.

Ben

• gav70
    gav70
    Community Member
    Options

Other apps have managed to make it work to maintain customer satisfaction so I do not think its completely out of Agilebits hands.

Again, if Agilebits had not removed the paid app of 1Password with all pro features, we would not have such an issue. Just a matter of how much the company is willing to invest to maintain customer satisfaction.

Thanks for your help!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @gav70. I don't see how that would be possible, at least not without violating Apple's developer agreement, by which we're bound. I'll certainly pass the feedback along to our development team though. Do you have any specific examples which you could share of in-app purchases that work in this manner? The only ones I'm aware of are subscription services, such as Netflix, Evernote, etc where within the app the service creates an account for you based on your in-app purchase. You'd then, independently of the in-app purchase system, login to the account in question. 1Password isn't an account based service (outside of 1Password for Teams there is no such thing as a "1Password account"), so that sort of model wouldn't really apply here.

For what it is worth, 1Password is currently on sale for a limited time:

AgileBits Blog | Happy Holidays from AgileBits

As for selling a separate app, we tried that with v3 for iOS. Unfortunately it created a huge amount of confusion and frustration. It also creates an additional load on our development team: maintaining multiple releases. The reason we don't do that isn't because we haven't tried it, it is because we've tried it and it didn't work well.

Ben

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I'm sorry you disagree with Apple's policy on this. When Family Sharing was first announced we too were hopeful that it would work with in-app purchases, but it does not. Sharing in-app purchases does not work with any app at this point. That simply isn't a part of Family Sharing. You can read more about this on Apple's website:

When i bought a subscription for MS Office, my wife and I had 2 computers and 1 apple device or vpn service shared on 5. Don't see why you guys are against that. I mean, why should we have to pay another company that will cover more than 1 device.

Logically, If i buy a solid front door lock, my whole family in the house benefits. I agree with your good paying customer above that this NOT FAIR.

I spent good hard earned money for 1password to give it a chance. If you unsympathetically don't care, that speaks volumes and shows that customers are taking a chance doing business online, it is a landmine field. .. good to know.

My reply here was respectful and polite. Please don't censor as I have a copy incase this thread gets accidentally deleted.

If you CPOV, stand in the customers shoes to see 'customers point of view', then answer this question,...take your time..."do you sincerely believe that your customers here will buy a second license to 1password, after they see their license is no good for more than 1 device?

Some companies will even try to accommodate their customers....they would let them install more than 1 device...they are all in my name too. This fact should of been told to future customers so that they can make an informed decision before committing to purchase 1password.

Imagine that, i have to pay 3 times to install 1password on 3 devices I own.

Kind regards

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@Novacaine,

Easy there. You seem to be the only one doing the posturing and threatening. You're also kind of forming negative opinions based on your own incorrect suppositions. AgileBits almost never edits users posts, and then only to remove personal information, or tone down blatantly offensive language.

I don't think your door lock analogy is apropos. Taking your family to see a movie, where you pay for each user might be closer. At any rate, AgileBits is a fair, honest, very reasonable company, and they do try to do right by the customer. But that doesn't mean every customer gets every demand meet.

As a customer like you, I have no issues with their licensing model or the cost of the software. It is good, they are fine folks, and do a very good job supporting their customers.

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

MrC "Easy there. You seem to be the only one doing the posturing and threatening.** -.-

Hello MrC. I was polite and even mentioned it. Can you quote me exactly where I threaten and postered?
    Perhaps you confused polite criticism as menacing, posturing and threatening? It can happen people misunderstand confusing different situations.

======================================================

MrC "You're also kind of forming negative opinions based on your own incorrect suppositions."

I am open minded, I could of misunderstood as you did above with criticism vs threats and body posturing.

=======================================================

MrC "AgileBits almost never edits users posts, and then only to remove personal information,

that is good to know. As a customer buying various things online over many years, just like most customers here buying software to secure and protect information, we seen it all over the years (be careful here, did not mention Agilebits because in this sentence, not tooor tone down blatantly offensive language.
    I again want to point out, I did not ever use offensive language. I am 55 years old and worked all my life in the security industry...i would never lose my honest name over anything, and certainly not even over issues such as this. <_<

=========================================================

MrC "I don't think your door lock analogy is apropos.

That is ok....it is a free country and you are allowed to hold views and I do too and allowed to make constructive criticism which you associate with posturing and threatening. If the example got stuck in your mind, then I failed to explain to you so that you understand (your word-->) apropos (pourquoi est-il pertinent comme un exemple) french meaning "why is my example pertinent" The lock, you see, it is an investment like 1password is. both are products to secure things we own. If you failed to see the 'apropos', that is ok.

=========================================================

Mr C "Taking your family to see a movie, where you pay for each user might be closer. At any rate, AgileBits is a fair, honest, very reasonable company, and they do try to do right by the customer. But that doesn't mean every customer gets every demand meet.'

I accept your statement even if movie and security has nothing to do with each other on this issue. If to you, my constructive criticism is is a demand, them words of your speak for themselves.

==========================================================

Mr CAs a customer like you, I have no issues with their licensing model or the cost of the software. It is good, they are fine folks, and do a very good job supporting their customers.

Ok i accept that they are. But if we are not allowed to share our opinions or our constructive criticism, I will let you an opportunity to see if that was not your intent with the posturing and threats accusation which were gratuitous.

==============================================================

Merry xmas and kind regards.

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

wow and you deleted them or brought them to the hidden moderator section and here you were telling me that you don't censor.

Good thing my screen capture worked good.

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

Now because of this action, no one else here will see my post that was polite but was criticizing constructively...real pro mod. Bravo

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

It is ok, I will post in reddit...if you were not such a bad intentioned person...this would not of happened...you made it alot worst for nothing

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

Tomoorow probably i will be banned...it is ok. Unless the SMod or Board admin contacts me by email which another person might be more receptive to constructive criticism. You made it alot worst...and I accept that I will be banned because of more than one post. You should of let someone higher handle this. I understand you are doing your best under the circumstances, and could of let someone else handle it if you confuse constructive criticism with threats and posturing. I my years, i seen people falsely accused of things and things spiraled our of control because of the person's reputation got tarnished. How did you think I felt when you falsely accused me of threats?

Any how, I have copies incase these were deleted. I will wait for an email before anything.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Speaking outside of 1Password I can say none of my In App Purchase's have ever transferred to other devices of family share members. I have made purchases for various add ons from time to time.

Please click the link above in @bwoodruff post Re: limitations of In App Purchase you will find Apples official response.

What you can't share

Songs added to iTunes Match from outside the iTunes Store.
    Individual Apple Music memberships and other subscriptions, such as magazines and newspapers.
    In-App purchases.
    Items that are no longer available on the iTunes Store.
    Items that you or another member of your family group has hidden. Learn more about hidden purchases.
    Some apps from the App Store. Find out if your app is shareable.
    Ringtones.
    If you're on an Apple TV, you can't access shared music.

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

Hi thightower

A good question, is it the same for Android users?

Thank you for your tactful polite reply.

My apologies if I was irritated, just not used to being accused of threatening and posturing.

Merry xmas

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@Novacaine

I cannot say I have never ever used android. Sorry. I am an iSheep and been that way for ages now.

Its likely someone will catch this as the staff usually work the holidays too. I even found one of the founders responding to posts a few minutes ago. It says something when the head people in charge make posts and replies to users in the forums. IMHO.

• Novacaine
    Novacaine
    Community Member
    Options

Again, thank you for your diplomatic helpful reply, thightower.

Merry xmas to bernfrin too. ;)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

wow and you deleted them or brought them to the hidden moderator section and here you were telling me that you don't censor.

@Novacaine: First and foremost, I want to apologize for any confusion or frustration while you've waited for answers to some of your questions.

I myself was confused at first when you were suggesting that someone had censored or deleted your posts, since I saw no evidence of that. It turns out what happened is this post was stuck in the spam queue, probably because you made several posts in quick succession. I've released it from its digital prison, and I hope you'll understand that there was no malicious intent. Our spam filtering isn't actually capable of intent, after all, and we'll continue to monitor it.

A good question, is it the same for Android users?

Yes, that's a great question! Android does not have a "Family Sharing" option at all, which actually makes it the same for in-app purchases as it is on iOS: they cannot be shared or transferred; however, this also means that the same goes for 'regular' app purchases. So regardless of the purchase type, with the Google Play store they are tied to the Google Account where the purchase was made. In both cases, you can always use the purchase on any devices using the same store account.

In fact, with in-app purchases from the App Store, it's crucial that the both app itself is installed using the correct Apple ID as well as being logged into it when restoring the purchase. Otherwise the App Store will not validate the purchase. Definitely a source of confusion from time to time.

When i bought a subscription for MS Office, my wife and I had 2 computers and 1 apple device or vpn service shared on 5. Don't see why you guys are against that. I mean, why should we have to pay another company that will cover more than 1 device.

@Novacaine: As Ben mentioned earlier, if you have an account with a company for a subscription (such as Netflix, Microsoft, HBO, CBS, Hulu, etc.) this is outside of Apple's App Store purchasing system, so in these cases we can simply log into our existing service-specific accounts on any devices (our own, or those of our family) regardless of the Apple ID used for the App Store.

In the case of 1Password however, it's not a subscription service that you can log into in this fashion, nor is your App Store purchase through AgileBits; rather, only Apple has access to your purchase information. This is really great for those concerned about security and privacy, since you don't have to disseminate your personal or financial details to every 3rd party developer whose app you purchase.

However, in your particular case I can see where you're frustrated that this doesn't work the way you expect it to. But for many people (myself included), the fact that AgileBits also doesn't have our data or even know who we are provides a huge security and privacy benefit as well:

• Your privacy is protected even if our servers are compromised.
    • Your privacy is protected even if we are compelled to turn evil.
    • Your privacy is protected even if we turn evil of our own accord.

Now none of this may matter to you when you're upset about how Apple's Family Sharing works, but I can imagine it would if the reverse were true and your sensitive data were to be compromised as a result.

Logically, If i buy a solid front door lock, my whole family in the house benefits. I agree with your good paying customer above that this NOT FAIR. [...] do you sincerely believe that your customers here will buy a second license to 1password, after they see their license is no good for more than 1 device?

While what seems "fair" may be subjective, ultimately I think that Apple is entitled to set whatever rules they choose for their stores...though you and I are entitled to disagree with them. As mentioned above, you can use these purchases with many devices, but it is tied to your Apple ID, so you'd need to use the same one on each in order for that to work.

I spent good hard earned money for 1password to give it a chance. If you unsympathetically don't care, that speaks volumes and shows that customers are taking a chance doing business online, it is a landmine field. .. good to know.

We absolutely care, and I'm sorry if anything we've said has given you the impression otherwise. The intent is to help inform since there isn't anything we can do with regard to App Store purchase/sharing policy. And while it may be easy to forget when you're frustrated, we're people too, and our own App Store purchases are subject to these same rules. Would I prefer to be able to share my own in-app purchases with my wife (as I can with apps themselves)? Absolutely! But it isn't up to me or anyone here at AgileBits.

Some companies will even try to accommodate their customers....they would let them install more than 1 device...they are all in my name too. This fact should of been told to future customers so that they can make an informed decision before committing to purchase 1password. Imagine that, i have to pay 3 times to install 1password on 3 devices I own.

Me too. This is simply the reality of the App Store terms of service. We all agreed to this in order to make purchases in the first place. I'm all for making informed decisions. I routinely research purchases for months or years before doing so. And I agree that we all need to be aware of what we're agreeing to when we purchase digital goods and services — from the App Store or anywhere else. Unfortunately while we can answer many questions (mostly from our own experience) about the App Store, we're not able to set policy there as we can with our own AgileBits Store. We're happy to answer your questions, but we cannot effect any changes there, so in the end voicing our opinions to Apple regarding their store polices is the only chance any of us has to see any results now or in the future.

Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions. Just understand that when it comes to the App Store, I won't be able to pull strings for you there any more than I can for myself and my own family. There are many benefits to Apple's model (which I won't bore you with...unless you ask) but as with anything there are certainly downsides as well. So I prefer to focus on the positive and only take the negatives into consideration when it comes to making informed decisions about my own purchases.

• gav70
    gav70
    Community Member
    Options

bwoodruff: I apologize but I was on vacation and didn't se your post till today. Sprout is one app where I bought the free app and made a in-app purchase. I wanted to share this with my wife. Unfortunately it didn't work for her. I sent an email to their support. They asked me for her iTunes email and responded within 24 hours asking her to retry from her phone and the restore purchases worked. So, I know that other app developers are honoring family sharing in in-app purchases and making it work to maintain customer satisfaction and there is an element that is in the developers hands like I mentioned.

• I suspect what you're seeing with Sprout is they have their own server component and are able to unlock the features on their end.

This is one of the reasons I'm so excited about 1Password for Teams as we'll have a relationship with customers who purchased and will be able to do kind things like Sprout did. This is something we don't have with the current App Store versions of 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.