Two vaults got merged

Options
gronevet
gronevet
Community Member
edited December 2015 in Mac

Hello there good folks of the internet!

I have a problem, I'm not sure how it happened - but somehow my personal vault got merged with my (shared) business vault. So right now I have one personal vault that is still intact the way it was - and I`ve got one business vault that has all of the stuff from my personal vault.

So what I'm wondering about is if there is any way to "search and replace" (or rather search and delete) for all my personal items - in the business vault? Or do I have to go through every single one manually?

Other than that... happy holidays!

best regards
Kristian

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.2
Sync Type: google drive

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gronevet,

That must have been an irritating realisation :(

We don't have an automated feature that will allow for easy de-duplication I'm afraid but there is a possibility.

Depending on how fast you noticed you could return to a previous backup, which records the state of all vaults at that point in time. The menu option File > Restore... will take you to the relevant window and selecting a particular backup will enable the Restore button. This will restore all vaults to how they were at that point though (it isn't per vault) and all syncing is disabled as a precautionary measure. So this could be used to return you to a pre-merge state. If you have only a few changes since the last usable backup you could make a note of those changes and apply them to your vault after restoring the backup.

The larger issue is if this business vault is shared with others then after the accident all of those items will have been synchronised to the Agile Keychain that you're using and the other copy or copies of 1Password will have picked up those changes if they've been opened since it happened. Restoring a vault in one location isn't enough, there isn't a way to force all the copies to revert to a previous version via a centralised change. The reason is 1Password is a decentralised piece of software and the sync code doesn't have an undo feature like the one we would need.

Let's say a backup could help undo the damage locally. What you would need to do afterwards to ensure the damage is undone everywhere would be.

1. Delete the Agile Keychain that you were using to sync the business vault. You will need to delete it in Finder and allow the deletion to sync to Dropbox's servers.
    2. Set up Dropbox sync again for the business vault. You're safe to have 1Password create a brand new Agile Keychain in the exact same place.
    3. Have all copies of 1Password that were syncing to the business vault remove the business vault completely. If the business vault is a secondary vault you can do so by first switching to it and then using the menu option 1Password > Delete XXXX Vault... where XXXX is the name of that vault. If the business vault is the primary vault then it would mean starting over completely using our 3. How do I start over with an empty vault? guide.
    4. Adding the business vault back to 1Password. If the business vault was previously a secondary vault it can be re-added by double clicking on the new Agile Keychain. If it was a primary vault then you would want to point the fresh copy of 1Password to the Agile Keychain.

There are a few scenarios we haven't covered here. What if a lot of changes have happened, slightly more complex setups elsewhere i.e. multiple vaults some of which aren't synchronised. There are enough that trying to think and cover them all would make for a very unwieldily response. Hopefully I've given a bit of a taste of the (best?) option and based on what you've read you will have an idea of what scenarios we would need to cover.

You may decide that manually going through the vault and deleting the personal items is better. If you do so these deletions would be synchronised to the Agile Keychain but just to warn you that until the 1Password Trash is emptied the items are still recoverable. If you delete the items and empty the Trash then once all those changes were synchronised everywhere else then all copies of 1Password would have no trace of the items and this manual approach wouldn't require all the removing and re-adding of the business vault.

After you get past this bug hurdle though for peace of mind you may want to consider altering all of your personal passwords so that you don't have any nagging doubt in the back of your mind. You may very well have plenty of questions from the contents of this post so please do post back if you do.

This discussion has been closed.