Copying data to Windows after years of an Apple only ecosystem

Options

My new firm has a more liberal attitude to user installed software than I have previously enjoyed, so I thought I would buy a Windows copy of 1P in the sale and enhance my reluctant PC life (I spent half the summer moving to unique randomly generated passwords, and typing them in is a pain!).

iCloud serves my Mac and iOS home set up beautifully, and I cannot and do not want to use my personal Dropbox on the work machine. I would be happy with an occasional import, but it must be secure (I think the 1PS file format is in plaintext?).

What could I do? I have browsed around the knowledge base articles, but drawn a bit of a blank.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @amjbrown,

I would be happy with an occasional import, but it must be secure (I think the 1PS file format is in plaintext?).

If you're referring to the export format, 1PIF, yes, it's in clear text format and not meant for this type of use case, you should not be doing this.

What you can do is create an encrypted file/folder that 1Password on your Mac can do for you and copy it to your Windows PC. This would require you to disable the iCloud Sync temporarily to switch to Folder Sync, so it can create that folder and then you can switch it back to iCloud. You can put the folder on your USB drive to copy it to your work PC.

Would this work for you?

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds perfect. I can then periodically delete the PC vault and create a new one with a fresh folder? Will give it a shot.

Thanks. Now log off for the holidays!

• Hi @amjbrown,

I can then periodically delete the PC vault and create a new one with a fresh folder?

You can technically overwrite it but yes, that'd work just fine. Just make sure you close 1Password and browsers before doing this.

Thanks. Now log off for the holidays!

You're welcome and on behalf of the team here, Happy Holidays. :smile:

• amjbrown
    amjbrown
    Community Member
    Options

So this is all looking good. Used a USB stick as suggested and successfully transferred the folder to by bootcamp Windows 10 build. I am assuming it will work just as easily on the Windows 7 machine when the holiday season is over.

Became utterly confused looking for the 1Password button in what I thought was some nice new version of IE only to learn that MS has started working on something called Edge that looks like a web browser should look, but didn't seem to have any options to enable something called a Command Bar or the 1P add-ins. Phew. Eventually worked out I was in a parallel universe, noted that my use case had been met, and slunk off back to my trusty Mac :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@amjbrown: Ack! Sorry for the confusion! Edge is nice, but it's still a bit limited. Hopefully Microsoft will reveal an extension framework for it soon so we can work on getting 1Password there too! :)

This discussion has been closed.