Need help please importing database from 3.6.1 to new iPad!

trevorb
trevorb
Community Member

I have an old iPod Touch running 3.6.1 - I now have a new iPad, with 1Password installed and ready. I have extracted the database from the iPod, but can't import via iTunes. - message says "Import failed. Database is invalid. " I can see from other discussions that I might need to update the iPod Touch to 3.7.2, but can't find a way to do this as this is a 'legacy' version and not in the iTunes store. Any ideas please? I don't want to manually copy all the info across....! Thanks in advance, Trevor

1Password Version: 3.6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.2
Sync Type: Manual sync

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trevorb: While you can install the old version of 1Password from your App Store purchase history, I really wouldn't bother with that. Instead, just follow this guide to backup your data and migrate it to 1Password for iOS on your new iPad:

Migrating from 1Password 3

It sounds like you may have tried that already, but if you can be more specific about where you're running into trouble I'm sure we can get this sorted out for you. Thanks in advance! :)

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi Brenty
    Thanks for your quick reply.
    All goes exactly to plan, but the database just won't import to the iPad successfully. I get through the steps as described and pictured on the web page, and import the file via iTunes, but simply get the message 'Import failed. Database is invalid.' on the iPad.
    Not sure what to try next!
    many thanks, Trevor

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi Brenty
    Two images here - one is the import file after syncing in iTunes (it seems to change it's name after the sync to the iPad) and the other is the original backup file that comes from the iPod Touch. Hope that helps a little. I'm using iTunes 12.3.2.35 64bit on a win7 pc.
    thanks, Trevor

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trevorb: It sounds like you may not have followed the steps exactly. a .1ptbackup cannot be imported into 1Password for iOS version 5 or 6. Step 4 under the heading "Rename your 1Password 3 backup" says to rename it to .1pt3import instead:

Did you do that before adding it to iTunes? Please let me know! :)

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi Brenty

• yes I did do that - followed steps exactly, but alals, no luck.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@trevorb: It looks like that's in Windows File Explorer. Did you add it to iTunes? Is it iTunes that is giving you an error?

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi Brenty
    I did add it to iTunes, the image is simply to show you that I renamed the file extension. As I said, everything proceeds exactly as per your website instructions, but when I open 1Password after syncing the import file from iTunes, I get the invalid database error referred to in my first post.

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi Brenty
    Just wondering if there's anything else I can try? May well be that I just have to transfer entries manually from the old version to the new, but I hope not!
    Thanks for your help so far, look forward to any steps you can suggest.
    Trevor

• Hi @trevorb,

I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from 1Password 6 on your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• trevorb
    trevorb
    Community Member

Hi bwoodruff
    Sorry, forgot to post these acknowledgements of diagnostic reports sent from the BitBot:
    #XRE-43923-656 (clean install on iPad, tried to import data into a new vault)
    and #KJJ-45762-592 (earlier attempt to import data)
    Look forward to your thoughts, thanks - Trevor

• Thanks Trevor! We've received the reports now and I've flagged them for follow up. We'll be getting back to you via email ASAP.

Ben

ref: XRE-43923-656

This discussion has been closed.