1Password asks me to save password that already exists

mbk28
mbk28
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

For many website like facebook, my bank..., 1password ask me to save password already exist

1Password Version: 5.5.BATA-33
Extension Version: 5.5.1
OS Version: 10.11.3 (15D9c)
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@mbk28 when that happens can you please check that:

• the URL you are using to log in; and
    • the URL you originally saved in 1Password for that login item

are identical. If so, just post again and someone will help you explore the problem further. If you do post again please tell us what browser you are using and the version number of the browser. Please also confirm the version number of the 1Password browser extension as the number you have given looks a little odd (I believe the very latest beta version of the browser extension is only 4.5.2.b1).

Edit: Of course it's quite possible this may have something to do with the OS X beta version you're apparently using but it's probably worth exploring the other options too.

Stephen

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member

hello,
    I've just install the next extension and will inform you next

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member

Hello,

I just try with the last update of extension 4.5.1.90 for Chrome [46.0.2490.80 (64-bit)] or 4.5.1 for Firefox [41.0.2] and I always have the problem.
    I'm on mac under El Capita 10.11.3 (15D9c) [public beta]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @mbk28,

When 1Password asks you to save Login items that are already in your vault, does it only happen after you've been asked to unlock your vault from the 1Password Save Login window like this?

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

Hello,

this is the message I have, but the address is the same the one in 1password and I don't have unlocked 1password

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mbk28: If 1Password is locked, it can't read your data to see that you already have a login saved for any given site. If you go into 1Password Preferences > General, do you have Always keep 1Password mini running checked? If not, that's the problem. Please let me know what you find!

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member

Hello,
    the box for keep 1P mini running is checked

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mbk28: Thanks for checking that! Were you able to update Chrome and Firefox? If not, that would be the next step. When there's an update pending, it often breaks any extensions (including Chrome's built in Flash support) until it's complete. Go to the Chrome and Firefox menus and check About to verify this.

And if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

I am seeing this as well. It's new behavior for me. I think it only happens when I have to unlock 1P, but I'm not certain. One problem is that the same username/password combo that uses the Apple ID is used on multiple websites. Surely I don't have to keep a separate 1P login for each website.

I'm using the current Safari extension and 1Pb36.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@TomWolsky:

One problem is that the same username/password combo that uses the Apple ID is used on multiple websites. Surely I don't have to keep a separate 1P login for each website.

If I've understood you, you really do need to save separate 1P logins for each separate website. That's necessary because:

1. The hidden structure of each login page differs and 1P needs to "know" or "learn" that structure in order to work properly on each login page.
    2. "Open and fill" and the ⌘\ shortcut, for filling in logins, won't work unless the saved URL (in the 1P website field) exactly matches that of the page where you're trying to log in.

Stephen

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks.

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member

Hello,

this morning I open 1P extension on browser and I don't have the window

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky: Stephen_C brings up a good point. I also wanted to mention that you can also add multiple URLs to items, which can help with something like an Apple ID where you use it in different places: simply edit an apple.com login to add icloud.com, etc.

That this is necessary is completely intentional, as 1Password should only be filling your sensitive information at the specific URLs you set it up to (by saving the login in the first place, and expressly adding other URLs to it later). Otherwise you may end up inadvertently filling your login for "apple.com" at something like "support.apple.com.my.website/forphishing.aspx"...and that would be bad.

But going back to what Stephen_C said, if the login forms are different enough that it prevents 1Password from filling with details from one page on another, then saving another login will ensure that 1Password has the information it needs to fill that page. While this means having another login, I definitely prefer doing that so I can use 1Password to fill my login credentials, rather than doing it manually. I hope this helps! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

If I can add multiple URLs to a single login, when I get the dialogue asking to save a login I have the option to create new or update. I presume when I use update, 1P replaces the existing URL, and if I use create, it makes a new login. What I suppose is needed in this instance is an option to append to an existing login. Is that possible?

Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

this morning I open 1P extension on browser and I don't have the window

@mbk28: That's very odd indeed! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: ZLV-21539-211

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What I suppose is needed in this instance is an option to append to an existing login. Is that possible?

@TomWolsky: No need! Just view the item details and click Edit (you can do this in both the extension and the main 1Password window):

That way you can just copy the URL and paste it in there without changing the perfectly good login you already have! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll have to look out for the edit function. I don't recall seeing it in the save dialogue that appears.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky: There isn't an Edit option when saving a new login. After all, until you've saved the login, there's nothing to edit! ;)

Instead, you can access the Edit feature when viewing an existing item's details in the main 1Password app, or in the browser extension/mini:

I hope this helps! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

The save dialogue has options for new or existing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TomWolsky: I understand that, but you cannot edit items there — which is what you'll need to do to add multiple URLs. When saving a login, you can create a brand new one, or overwrite an existing one. Definitely useful, but not for the situation you were describing! :)

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Here's a problem with a lot of logins, I think. Let's say the login is for an Apple discussions page of some sort. The URL on the login page is something like

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=25baca2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx9799c01c465fc4e90da7&path=/discussions/topicsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Every page has a different URL as it has a direct link back to a specific topic page. All the URLs are different, which is probably why the save dialogue is appearing every time I log in.

• mbk28
    mbk28
    Community Member

Tom,
    I have an error message when I clic on the link

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

It's not a real link. Hence the Xs. It's just an example. I can't link you to the actual page unfortunately.

Try this one

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/login.html?appIdKey=529eb2b096d5a3d54162171f0f29ba797e602812660013123243e58bc7bedf56&path=//thread/7393046&instanceId=US&language=US-EN

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

Just to note that 1P has stopped doing this today. Haven't seen any more save dialogues. Maybe simply resaving/updating in 1P fixes it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @TomWolsky,

Thanks to another user I was interacting with we are tracking some bugs with how 1Password is behaving in a particular state. I can reliably have 1Password ask to save for a Login item that is present in my vault. I have filed a bug report (plus to other behaviours I discovered along the way) and the developers are aware and have it on the todo list. I don't believe the issue has been fixed but if you've unlocked your vault once then that would explain why it would appear as if it was fixed. The developers are aware though thanks to the reports that you and others bring us :smile:

So the question is, do you see the Save Login window if you first unlock 1Password, then lock it using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌥⌘L compared to if you have just rebooted your Mac? I believe it will only be the latter and with the former you get the expected behaviour, is that correct?

ref: OPM-3555

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbk28,

We've received your diagnostic report but before we try delving through it I'd just like to make sure I'm looking for the right thing.

When I asked about the Save Login window and if it looked like

you replied saying

this is the message I have, but the address is the same the one in 1password and I don't have unlocked 1password

I'm not sure what you mean by

but the address is the same the one in 1password and I don't have unlocked 1password

If you are seeing that specific window that means your vault is locked. If your vault was not locked you would see the following window

As I was saying to TomWolsky, we are aware of a bug where 1Password incorrectly asks you to save a Login item if the vault is locked while if the vault isn't then it correctly identifies and ignores it. Is this what you are seeing, that you're asked to save when you shouldn't be but only if you need to unlock your vault?

ref: ZLV-21539-211

• TomWolsky
    TomWolsky
    Community Member

@littlebobbytables I rebooted. Did not unlock 1P, and went to a site I hadn't been to since the problem occurred, and I did indeed get the save dialogue again.

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

I'm running 1Password 5, Version 5.5.BETA-37 (550037), AgileBits Betaand am signed into my 1Password for Teams account. Since instilling this latest Beta I have noticed that from time to time 1Password pops up the dialog 'unlock 1Password to save this login' for no apparent reason (there is no browser open), usually just after I have unlocked my Mac. I did not observe this behaviour with the previous beta. Is this a known issue? If not, what can I provide to help you diagnose this? It is mildly annoying.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.5.BETA-37 (550037)
    Extension Version: 4.3.1
    OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
    Sync Type: DropBox / Teams

• t1g3r
    t1g3r
    Community Member

I have the same issue, I get the pop-up after waking my Mac from sleep. This is on OS X 10.11.2.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited December 2015

@ChrisJenkins as your post relates to 1P for Mac beta I have moved the post from the 1Password for Mac forum to the 1P for Mac Beta forum where you will get more help.

(@t1g3r as you've said you have the same issue your post has gone with the thread to the beta forum because I've assumed you're also using the beta.)

Edit: because you issue seems very similar to that mentioned in this existing thread: see, particularly, this AgileBits' post. If you think you issue is different please post again.

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.