When will Chrome Extension work with the Windows 10 Universal App?

Options

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. Trying to move our household to a "Team", but we also have a mixed platform house: iOS, Mac and Windows.

• Windows app (non-Universal App) doesn't support teams (and might I had, I hate the lack of rich support for tags!)
  • Windows 10 Universal app DOES support teams and dropbox, but quite buggy
  • Chrome Extension only works with the non-Universal app
  • Mac version supports tags, teams and chrome extension

Based on this, I'm stuck looking at Teams longingly from the sidelines and can't migrate. Nor can I more fully use the Win10 Universal app. I know the new Win10 app is "beta", but i'm on the beta track with the non-universal windows app and don't mind the frequent updates and occasional bugs.

I could move over to the Windows 10 universal app more fully if the chrome extension worked with it. When is that coming?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10, Mac OSX El Capitain, iOS 9.2
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @tmchow,

1Password for Teams itself is a very early beta and a brand new service as well, all apps will take a while to catch up to it. The desktop version of 1Password for Windows with teams support is coming but no timeframe on it.

In addition, I might be misunderstanding by what you meant as "household" but 1Password for Teams is not meant to be used for household/families at the moment, it's meant for businesses initially. We will launch a separate plan for families later. Please consider the prices as well, we will be charging per user per month once it leaves the beta stage of development, which is why it is for businesses at the moment. Families will have a different pricing model.

I could move over to the Windows 10 universal app more fully if the chrome extension worked with it. When is that coming?

Not any time soon. It's a sandboxed app that has to comply with Windows App Store rules and with the restrictions in the Universal Windows Platform. Right now, it's a brand new app where we are mainly focused on implementing the core features to run on Windows 10 device families including the mobile devices. It is not going to have to all the same features as the mature desktop version right off the bat.

It might be possible for the 1Password for Windows 10 app to support browser extensions in the future as Microsoft continues to evolve the Windows 10 Universal Platform but at the moment, it is not going to be a quick solution.

We're working as fast as we can to get all of our 1Password programs working with the upcoming Teams service, so you could migrate to it but for now, I don't think it's a good fit if you need the Chrome extension on Windows. You would need to use the regular Windows version and a different sync option to sync between your devices.

• tmchow
    tmchow
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT

In addition, I might be misunderstanding by what you meant as "household" but 1Password for Teams is not meant to be used for household/families at the moment, it's meant for businesses initially.

Understand that you are targeting businesses with this, but with a small family (e.g. a couple) it makes perfect sense to use. Also, the focus strictly on businesses loses its credibility when your announcement blog post says this:

I hope you love 1Password for Teams as much as we do. We’ve been using it ourselves and with our families for months and couldn’t imagine life without it.

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi @tmchow,

Understand that you are targeting businesses with this, but with a small family (e.g. a couple) it makes perfect sense to use.

If you're okay with the price, then yea, Teams should work for you if it fits all of your needs. For medium or larger families, it may not be feasible. Right now, it is not our main focus for the initial launch but plans do change all the time. We will be releasing more details over the next few months as we get ready to launch the service.

We have heard of requests to have family plans available soon and we're trying to do what we can to speed this up.

Also, the focus strictly on businesses loses its credibility when your announcement blog post says this:

We always use our families to help us test our upcoming features and when it comes to sharing data, our own families is the best way to test these type of features. We can sit next to them, watch them, and so on, something we can't do with external companies without announcing the service first. When we made the announcement, that's when we can start working with external companies to help us test the service and target it for their needs.

This discussion has been closed.