how to move passwords & other 1Password data from iPhone 4S?

somersinc
somersinc
Community Member

I have an old 4S and need to get the dozens of passwords out of it and into my iPhone 6S.
I do not see the the app or passwords when I connect the 4S to my windows laptop.
Do I now need to subscribe to 1Password or is there still a free version?
What to do.
Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:moving passwords form 4s

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@somersinc: If you're up to date with iOS and 1Password on your iPhone 4S, this will be really easy: just backup your data there and restore it on your new iPhone! :chuffed:

Alternatively, you may be able to sync your 1Password data between your PC and iOS devices using Dropbox. If that's something you'd be interested in doing, be sure to let me know the OS and 1Password versions you're using on each device so we can determine if that will work for you.

Also, 1Password for iOS is a free download from the App Store, with an in-app purchase if you want the Pro Features. I hope this helps! :)

• somersinc
    somersinc
    Community Member

Thanks brenty.
    I'm out the door for the day and will revisit this evening to see if I can make your advice work.
    I'm unclear how to back up to dropbox. I see that choice in the 1Password settings menu and even turned it on, but then could not get out of that to make anything happen.
    t

• somersinc
    somersinc
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

I have invested significant time trying to get the passwords moved. But the 1Password version 3.5.9 (April 2011) that I have does not have the same pathway to backup described in the pages you sent me links to. Based on that information, do you have any other suggestions.

The instructions to perform a backup in 1Password say to navigate to one of these 2 addresses:
    http://192.168.1.6:49571 or another similar addresses naming my old 4S. Neither of these addresses still work. e.g. "This webpage is not available"

I know there must be a way to retrieve the files, just not sure how to do it.
    t

• Hi @somersinc,

Sorry about that. Brenty's instructions assumed you were on the latest version of 1Password, which you are not. 1Password 3 was retired in 2012.

You can find instructions for upgrading from 1Password 3 to 1Password 6 here:

How do I upgrade from 1Password 3 on iOS?

Neither of these addresses still work

Both devices need to be connected to the same WiFi network, and the network needs to allow communications between the devices.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.