Making Generated Passwords more secure

Options
kylerphillips
kylerphillips
Community Member

I use lots of services which only allow a maximum of 15 characters more or less for the password - what are the best methods to make a password the strongest it can be?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Making Generated Passwords more secure

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@kylerphillips - I would say you should set your password generator in 1Password to the maximum length allowable and choose options to include symbols and numbers. I have encountered sites that limit special symbols to only a subset of what could be chosen. In those cases, I generate a password and then edit it to switch symbols to those that are allowable.

If you haven't seen it, here is the password generator screen when activated from 1Password mini in the OS X menu bar:

• kylerphillips
    kylerphillips
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Thanks @hawkmoth I guessed I would need to play around here, it's a shame that sites don't always offer more secure password options. Much appreciated :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@kylerphillips - I agree about decisions various sites make in the name of security that actually degrade security. And most maddening of all are the ones that do not allow pasting in credentials at all. If you have to type in a password because of that kind of nonsense, it helps to use a string of words, instead of a completely random string of characters. AgileBits recommends using Diceware in such cases, and the Windows and iOS versions of the software will generate word combinations like that. It's also possible to do so in the Mac version beta, but I don't think that's come to the full release version just yet. You can see in the screen capture I included that there is an option to use Words.

It's worth reading this article about picking master passwords: How to I choose a good Master Password?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kylerphillips,

I can't think of much to add to what @hawkmoth has already written, but if you have any additional questions for us, don't hesitate to let us know. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.