After iCloud restore, master password won't open vault?

jclarkv
jclarkv
Community Member

I have a customer who installed 1Password on their older iPhone yesterday, and today purchased a new iPhone 6S. During setup, a Restore from iCloud backup was done. She launched 1Password on the newly restored 6S, and now it won't accept her Master Password and she is positive she's entering the right Master Password as she had been entering it this morning when changes passwords on accounts.

We've tried the iCloud Sync troubleshooting steps to no avail. Anyone heard of this before?

Clark

1Password Version: 6.12
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.0.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi Clark ( @jclarkv ),

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Does the customer in question still have access to their older iPhone? Is it running a modern version of 1Password and iOS? If so I'd recommend deleting 1Password off of the new iPhone, reinstalling it, making a 1Password backup of the old phone, and restoring it to the new:

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

Unfortunately Apple's built-in backups have not proven super reliable at backing up 1Password data, which is in part why we've implemented a backup utility within 1Password itself.

If the customer would like to sync both phones, we have a guide available on that here:

Sync | 1Password for iOS

I hope that helps!

Ben

• jclarkv
    jclarkv
    Community Member

Ben,
    Thanks you so much for writing! The customer traded in their old phone (although we had installed 1Password on it only the day before). She only had 8 passwords entered, so decided to reset all 8 and start afresh on her new phone.

Clark

• Thanks for the update Clark. For the future I'd highly recommend making periodic backups using the instructions above. You may also want to consider setting up syncing, even if the customer will not be using 1Password with any other devices.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.