Error when moving data from version 3 to version 5

Options
spatience
spatience
Community Member

Hello, I followed the steps to move my data from version 3 to version 5 but it gave me a error.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:old to new, kb:upgrade-ios

Comments

• spatience
    spatience
    Community Member
    Options

The error message I get it "Import failed. Database is invalid"

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @spatience,

I'm sorry you're having trouble upgrading from 1Password 3 to 1Password 5 on your Mac!

Did you export your data into a .1pif file from 1Password 3, and are trying to import that into 1Password 5? If so, are versions 3 and 5 on different Macs? If they are on the same Mac, you should be able to upgrade by following the steps here: How do I upgrade 1Password for Mac from version 3?

Basically, the first time you open 1Password 5, it should be able to find your data from 1Password 3 if it's on the same Mac. So you shouldn't need to use the export/import function. On the other hand, if 1Password 3 is on a different computer, is there a reason you aren't using Backup/Restore, or Dropbox sync in order to get your 1Password data into version 5?

If you still need help with this, we'll just need to know a few more details:

• Do you have 1Password 3 and 5 on the same Mac, or on different Macs?
    • What version(s) of Mac OS X are you running on each Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on each Mac? (That link will explain how to find the exact version number.)
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password 3/5?
    • What are the exact steps you've taken to try to migrate your data from version 3 to version 5?
    • Do the upgrade steps in the above knowledgebase article help at all?

Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.