Having a lot of trouble getting the Firefox extension to install: Firefox 43.0.3, 1P 5.4

Options
collinb
collinb
Community Member

I just updated to the latest Firefox, 43.0.3, I'm running the latest 1 Password, 5.4.
In Firefox, I clicked on "Add Firefox extension", got a popup message:
(1) agilebits.com: Firefox prevented this site from asking you to install software on your computer.
Clicked on "allow" button, got another popup message:
(2) agilebits.com: The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure.

I have tried to set up a Manual Proxy on Firefox, using "localhost" as the name of the HTTP proxy and setting port # 8080, and that seems to get a little farther--it says "downloading", but then it fails to install, and give me message (2) again.
I want to continue to use Firefox as my main browser. How can I get 1 Password to work with it again?
Thanks,Collin Baker

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:firefox, kb:v3-extension-firefox, kb:upgrade-mac, kb:configure-foxyproxy

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @collinb,

I'm sorry you're having difficulty with that!

Do you happen to be using Avast software on your Mac? If so, that might be the culprit that is preventing Firefox from correctly downloading/installing the 1Password extension. You can try disabling Avast temporarily to see if you can install the extension in Firefox. You can find more information about that in another recent forum thread.

If that doesn't help or you don't want to disable Avast temporarily (or don't use Avast at all), you can try downloading the Firefox extension from a different browser and then install it in Firefox:

• Open the following link in Safari: https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions
    • Click the link for Show all extensions.
    • Click the Install button for Firefox in order to download the extension.
    • Find the downloaded extension in your Downloads folder and drag it into a Firefox window.
    • Firefox should ask if you want to install the extension - click Install.

If you have trouble dragging the extension into a Firefox window, you can double-click the .xpi file that you downloaded. It should give you the option to Choose Application, and when you click that, a dialog will open so you can pick Firefox (if Firefox is grayed out, change the "Enable" popup menu to All Applications, and then you'll be able to choose Firefox).

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• collinb
    collinb
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much for the prompt and detailed explanation. I am using Avast, but, following your second method, I was able to download the extension using Safari and install it directly in Firefox from the downloaded file. Problem solved! Thanks again.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome! I'm happy my suggestion was helpful. Hopefully it all works perfectly for you from now on, but if you run into other problems or have questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to let us know - we're here for you. Happy New Year! :)

This discussion has been closed.