I have 1Password on my desktop and my iPhone. How do I get it onto my laptop?

genemarner
genemarner
Community Member

Can I simply copy the application on my desktop iMac and put it into the applications folder on the laptop?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: Bluetooth
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1Password on my desktop and my iPhone. How do I get it onto my laptop? Can I copy the app?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@genemarner I started to answer your question but then realised it was going to take very long answer to deal with all eventualities, so it would be helpful to have some more information first. Please tell us:

• Whether you're running the Mac App Store version of 1P or the AgileBits store version
    • Whether your laptop is running OS X or Windows (and the OS version you're using on your laptop).

In essence, what you need to do is to download and install 1P on your laptop and then use Dropbox, wi-fi or folder sync to transfer the 1P data from your iMac to your laptop. We can give more specific advice (if you need it) once you've answered the questions above.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @genemarner,

As Stephen said, we can give you more specific information if you let us know the answers to his questions. But in general, it's much better to download a fresh copy of the 1Password app than to copy it from one Mac to another.

If you bought a 1Password 4/5 license from the AgileBits Store, you can download 1Password 5 from our download site, and then add your license file to activate it. Or if you bought it from the Mac App Store, simply reinstall it from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make that purchase).

I hope that helps, but if you need more specific steps, just let us know the information Stephen asked you about. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.