Firefox 43.0.2 [Reinstall the Firefox extension to get the signed version]

Options
carol1joe
carol1joe
Community Member
edited December 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Firefox disable 1password, I uninstalled and tried to reinstall but I keep getting internet connection error.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:contact-us, kb-search:firefox

Comments

• safercracker823456
    safercracker823456
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

me too (it says "1Password could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled")

• schade_chr
    schade_chr
    Community Member
    Options

Same here - Firefox says to ask developers (Agilebits) to get the extension signed:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/Distribution

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I had this problem recently, and fixed it as follows. Open your main 1Password program. Go to Preferences > Browsers. You should see Mozilla Firefox 43.0.3 (currently) shown, and to the right is a button that says Install Firefox Extension or it says something like (greenCheckmark) Installed 4.5.2.b2. Click on that button, which should open the extension download page in your browser. If the installation does not complete properly, what worked for me is this. Right-click the alternate link given in blue text in "Your download will begin automatically within a few seconds. If not, please download the extension from its alternate location (AgileBits server, hosted on Amazon EC2)." Use "save link as..." to download the installer file, which for me currently is https://cache.agilebits.com/dist/1P/ext/1Password-4.5.2.b2.xpi and save that .xpi file onto your local disk. Then in Firefox use File > Open to open that .xpi file which should complete the installation with no problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I feel like I'm having deja vu. I'd better check with the kitchen... :lol:

@bkh: Thanks for the tip! However, some folks may be having a different issue, if there's a 'connection error'.

Please see my post here for a more thorough explanation, but suffice to say that if you're unable to connect to agilebits.com, there's a deeper issue: either 'security' software, malware, or some other configuration issue is preventing your browser from establishing a direct connection to our site. Please let us know what you find!

• safercracker823456
    Options

I'm not having a connection error, I just need to have Firefox accept 1P as a "signed" certificate (iirc the language).

Goes for both Mac and Windows (there's a workaround but I would rather not go under the hood).

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

@brenty: it's true that security software or other deeper problems can be the underlying cause, but I have found that downloading the .xpi file to local disk and then opening it via Firefox is a good work-around for security software interference (or other troubles) that manifest as a connection error. In my case, it worked around "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure." --- I clicked the install button, briefly I saw a green progress bar go from empty to full, then the error message came. I interpret this as a successful file download followed by a low-level interception/deletion causing the installer to detect no file received and give a misleading connection failure error message. So I offered this work-around as a way to bypass many of the mechanisms that can interfere with the installation.

@safercracker823456: the current .xpi file from agileBits is indeed correctly signed and Firefox 43.0.3 should accept it without any special exceptions if Firefox can access the actual .xpi file, and provided that security software or malware or other failure hasn't broken your computer's certificate mechanisms.

• safercracker823456
    Options

@bkh It has to be something between Firefox and 1Password because it happened virtually simultaneously for me on my Mac Desktop and Windows 10 laptop after upgrading to Firefox 43 (different OSs with different security software [Bitdefender 2015/6 vs. ClamXav]; I can't imagine both my computers [which are in different parts of the country] "broke" in the same way at the same time).

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member
    Options

@safercracker823456 One of my 2 computers showed the 1Password plugin "could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled" when Firefox upgraded to v43. So something changed with Firefox, but the work-around of downloading the .xpi file and then opening it in Firefox solved it for me: the same version number of the plugin is now installed and Firefox is not trying to disable it.

• safercracker823456
    Options

@bkh ok thanks i'll try that tonight

• MikeT
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi guys,

Firefox 43 did change how it handles signed/unsigned extensions. Unfortunately, for users that were not updated to the signed version of our Firefox extension, they have to manually reinstall the extension to fix this issue. For some users with aggressive AV scanners, this will also interfere with the installation and this isn't isolated to 1Password.

There are two workarounds for the AV interference; install it locally by downloading the .xpi file manually and drag it into Firefox's add-ons page as mentioned in our guide here or to disable the AV temporarily before installing the 1Password extension in Firefox. The latter is easier for users who is not familiar with the manual .xpi installation.

• carol1joe
    carol1joe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you! I go it installed onto firefo! :)

• You're welcome, I'm glad you got it working now.

This discussion has been closed.